1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is there a filenes in nyc?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by discostu004, Oct 11, 2004.

1. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

i didn't think there was one, but their website shows one, but i don't remember anyone on here talking about it

2. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior Member

There are Filene's Basements, no Filenes. The basement stores are on 6th and 20th, and on on the UWS. There may be more.

3. tdial

tdial Senior Member

Lance,
    Any word from the good folks at Borrelli?

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Yeah, any 36 S / 38 S forthcoming?

Jon.

5. discostu004

what's the diff between filenes and filenes basement?

borrelli reneged (mad face). they wanted me to take women's clothing as well but i'd told them i didn't like dealing in women's so i couldn't match their price.

6. tdial

tdial Senior Member

Phooey on Borrelli. I will never buy anything they make ever again.*

*blatant lie.

7. InfiniteSpree

InfiniteSpree Member

8. discostu004

anyone have exact addresses? i'll be there tomorrow and wanted to check them out to see all these "good deals"

9. stylenomad20009

stylenomad20009 New Member

um yeah, killer deals. $20-$25 for 100% italian merino sweaters? t necks,v necks,crews,vests...fun colors too not just plain ol charcoal and navy.

10. T&A Fan

T&A Fan Member

Don't get too excited...I have found that the NYC discounters like Filene's Basement and Loehmann's (and Marshalls even) carry much less of the "good" stuff compared to their suburban counterparts.  I don't know if it's because Bergdorf's, et. al. say they can't sell in NYC or if everything goes to Woodbury Commons (never shopped there), or what...even Century 21 has fewer and fewer "finds" over the last few years.  My wife agrees that this is the case with the womens' selections as well.

11. jerseyguy

jerseyguy Well-Known Member

I agree about the poor selection at Filene's Basement in general. I've never found anything better than Barney's NY house label at the one in Jersey Gardens, either. I was just at the one on 6th ave. today. Lots of Aquascutum and Vestimenta at $500, some Avon Celli sweaters for $329 and a variety of ugly Prada/Dolce items in synthetic fabrics with inflated prices.

12. smokinggun

smokinggun Member

hmmm.. Do you think the huge increase in suburban discount designer/fashion outlets has contributed to the paucity of great finds at traditional discounters like Filene's Basement and Loehmann's?

13. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I prefer Daffys. The one on fifth ave @19th St often has lots of sample garments from Italian importers. Not names you have heard of, but interesting things made in Italy at good prices. There is also a strange store on 5th around 28th street that has lots of Italian clothes at fair prices. Last time i was there they had some nice Cashmere overcoats for around $300.

14. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior Member

I agree.
    Never found anything much at the 2 NYC Filene's, but right now at their Atlanta store they have about 7-8 Borelli summer sportcoats (only sizes 36R-40R left) reduced from $2,550-$2,650 down to $699.99 and then take another 60% off; $280 is a nice buy.

15. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

Uhh, I'd buy all of those and sell them on Ebay for $400 a piece. You're guaranteed to sell them at that price IMO.