• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a difference between Ferragamo and Bruno Magli?

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the stitching is functional. It would be foolish for a company to go to the trouble to cut the channel in the sole and then hide non-funtioning stitching inside the channel. The only time I saw non-functioning stitching on a shoe it was prominently located on the (faux) welt where it could do it's job of making the shoe appear more expensive and better made than it really was.

velvel87

Reaction score
So i just went to the ferragamo outlet/American office in Secaucus, NJ and they told me that the lining was not truly functional. They said the sole itself was cemented and the center within the sole was stitched into the sole, but not connected to the leather of the shoe. So for me, I know $266 is a sale but I just can't justify spending that type of money on a rubber bottom cemented shoe, even if they are nice. However, the deals they had on Tramezza and Lavarazione Origionale were fantastic! $150-$200!! Unfortunately, I didnt need anything they had in my size. Oh well.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velvel87
... the center within the sole was stitched into the sole, but not connected to the leather of the shoe.
Wow, that's really sad. Not sure if you like their style, Tricker's shoes on STP and Pediwear should be very durable and well contstructed. Tricker's speicalizes in country type shoes and you will see them using Commando type rubber sole and Dainite/studded rubber sole on a lot of their models, usually in combination with Goodyear stormwelt construction for additional water resistance.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i just went to the ferragamo outlet/American office in Secaucus, NJ and they told me that the lining was not truly functional. They said the sole itself was cemented and the center within the sole was stitched into the sole, but not connected to the leather of the shoe. So for me, I know $266 is a sale but I just can't justify spending that type of money on a rubber bottom cemented shoe, even if they are nice. However, the deals they had on Tramezza and Lavarazione Origionale were fantastic! $150-$200!! Unfortunately, I didnt need anything they had in my size. Oh well.

That is truly bizarre- both that they would actually use non-functional stitching, and that the outlet store workers actually knew that and admitted it.

velvel87

Reaction score
I dont think this guy was an actual outlet worker. The store is just a side room of the FerragamoUSA offices and is only opened 10-5 on thursdays and a few hours on saturday. He spoke Italian and knew his stuff. He was also constantly answer his cellphone about different deals going through. I think he was a ferragamo employee who had his turn to sit and do nothing in the store front rather than just a sales person to work in the store.

About buying shoes and selling: I was thinking about it, but I am just not comfortable with the risk of buying shoes that I can't return.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
The sole on the Ferragamo, to my eye, looks much finer- I can't tell if the ridge along the side is a channel or not, but appears that it may be welted.

Doesn't look welted to me. lt would most likely be blake and be a mid range Ferragamo (not cemented but not goodyear welted either).

velvel87

Reaction score
The guy in the outlet also said that they're going to stop putting the studio label on the inside of the shoe because they realize that people are not buying the shoe because they think studio is cheap, so its going to be up to you to figure out which shoe is of which label.

imstr8trippin

Reaction score
So i just went to the ferragamo outlet/American office in Secaucus, NJ and they told me that the lining was not truly functional. They said the sole itself was cemented and the center within the sole was stitched into the sole, but not connected to the leather of the shoe.

I have no idea what this means...but, I just bought the same pair in a medium brown and mine DO have stitching in the insole? The stitching in the insole is white, but on the outsole it is black? Did I just blow $200 on some shoes that are not of the quality I thought they were?

velvel87

Reaction score
First off, how did you get them for $200 because i might have kept mine for that price. Second, I am not an expert and I was really just listening to what people were telling me and what I saw.

The shoe in the picture, the Ferragamo Rugby, is 100% a studio line shoe-- that i know. I did not have any stitching in my insole, even though there was black stiching on the outer sole, unless it was under fabric, but i didn't feel anything. The Italian speaking Ferragamo employee who works in FerragamoUSA as God knows what: salesman, shipping coordinator-- beats me, said that the stitching was not actually functional. Beyond that you would have to ask an expert or some one more knowledgeable than me, but i dont know that much anyway.

imstr8trippin

Reaction score
velvel, i didnt buy mine where you did.

the stitching is under the thin lining inside the shoe. i have a hard time believing the stitching on both the insole and outsole are fake. what a waste of time that would be. but, since there is stitching that goes through the insole, doesn't that mean that a cobbler could blake stitch a new sole on when the time comes?

velvel87

Reaction score
So where did you get yours then? Know of anymore available?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads