• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a difference between Ferragamo and Bruno Magli?

velvel87

Reaction score
I recently just bought two pairs of dress shoes with rubber bottoms for work , both for very good deals. I only want to keep one but I'm not sure which one will last longer and is better quality, but really, I am not sure if either one of them are real quality. The first shoe is a bruno magli ragian. It retailed at $365 and i got it at $200 at nordstrom rack.

The second pair are Ferragamo Rugby, retailed at $380 and purchased for $266 (bloomingdales is having 30% off sale).

I am trying ti figure out if these shoes are quality and will last. Also, if anyone could tell me which line these are in within their respective labels, it would be much appreciated.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people here would probably say to keep the Ferragamo but I've had surprisingly excellent experience with Magli. Based on looks, I like the plain toe shoe better. Which one is it?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sole on the Ferragamo, to my eye, looks much finer- I can't tell if the ridge along the side is a channel or not, but appears that it may be welted. In any case, it certainly looks less clunky than the Magli sole. I agree, I prefer the plaintoe- I'm going to guess that's the Ferragmo? Personally, I'd stick with the Ferragamo.

velvel87

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, the plain toe is the Ferragamo. What bothered me about the Ferragamo though it that the rubber is molded to look like the heal has a few different layers and that they are nailed in, even though its all one piece of rubber, which made me worry about my ability to replace the heal and sole over time. But I guess I could just send it to their repair factory in Secaucus and they'll replace the whole thing entirely.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The prevailing opinion on this board is that only Ferragamo "Tramezza" and Bruno Magli "Platinum Line" are worth the dollar. If it were between those two, I'd say go with Tramezza. Since, however, both of your shoes are roughly similar in quality and design, go with the one you find more aesthetically pleasing and the one that you think will last you longer. I wore my regular Bruno Magli monks last week (also rubber sole), and they were very comfortable and stylish, and did not exhibit any signs of wear after a 12 hour day at work.

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
I feel that these have a similar style which the English shoe makers also share.

velvel87

Reaction score
I just called up both companies. The Ferragamo turns out to be from the studio line, even though it does not say it on the label. The Bruno Magli has a cemented sole, but they claim that's how most rubber soled shoes are. Not sure if either one is worth the money at this point.

Anyone know where to find high quality rubber soled dress shoes that will cost $200 - $300?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Allen Edmonds Belmont seems to roughly fit into what you are looking for. It's a four-eyelet blucher, which is pretty similar to the two shoes you showed. It's got a split-toe, apron front, and rubber soles. It has a fairly pointy toe, and I don't think it looks too clunky, as many people seem to think about AEs. I believe it's one of the newer models. You may find it cheaper in the outlets, as a second. http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velvel87
The Bruno Magli has a cemented sole, but they claim that's how most rubber soled shoes are.
So does "Studio."

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
So does "Studio."

This particular Ferragamo specimen, and I believe most of the "Studio" line, appears to be Blake stitched which is certainly a more durable construction method than cemented/glued. If the Original Poster looks inside the Ferragamos he may see or feel a stitch along the front of the insole.

velvel87

Reaction score
Negative on seeing or feeling any stitch on the inside of the shoe. What i was worried about is that the stitching on the sole was just for looks but served no actual purpose bc the shoes are cemented - though I am not totally sure about that.

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
I don't have any studio line Ferragamos, but it's my understanding that they are all glue-bonded. The Lavorazione Originale line, on the other hand, is blake stitched. Tramezzas are welted. That's my understanding and has been my experience.

I think the L.O. line - often available for around $100 on ebay - is an absolute bargain. Nice leather, very good construction, and better styling that most.

velvel87

Reaction score
yes, but do they come with a full rubber sole? I have been looking for a while now for an excellent dress shoe with a rubber sole and can't find one. My last pair was from To Boot New York (which is apparently made by Gravati) and they were incredible. Extremely soft and comfortable leather, leather sole with a full piece of real rubber connected to it and even the heal, which had a rubber bottom that continued from the rest of the sole was stacked wood. If anyone knows of good quality rubber bottom shoes, please let me know.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velvel87
Negative on seeing or feeling any stitch on the inside of the shoe. What i was worried about is that the stitching on the sole was just for looks but served no actual purpose bc the shoes are cemented - though I am not totally sure about that.
So if you look inside the channel going around the sole you see the stitching?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads