Is there a better sleep aid than Ambien?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by dusty, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    there's a sleep aid that is supposed to work as effectively as ambien, but has a shorter half-life in the body, called "halcion."

Holy shit! They still make halcion? I experimented with that in the 70s, man.

2. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

i never felt like melatonin worked for me, but i really like GABA. 3-5 grams and 20 minutes. and its pretty cheap

3. bigasahouse

bigasahouse Senior member

there's a sleep aid that is supposed to work as effectively as ambien, but has a shorter half-life in the body, called "halcion."

Halcion is a benzodiazepine, so since you're steering away from those, this isn't the best option for you.

Try magnesium citrate.

Yeah melatonin is crap.

I take about 1.5 grams of mag citrate every night before bed, it knocks me out and I sleep very well. On nights that the magnesium isn't enough, I break a Benadryl tablet in half and take that.

I don't understand this. Magnesium citrate is used for constipation or as a bowel prep- how is it going to help with your sleep? If anything, it would keep you up running to the bathroom.

4. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Well-Known Member

Ok seriously, people can stop suggesting melatonin. I've been taking it for months and anybody who thinks it's even in the same ballpark as Ambien is delusional. It does virtually nothing for occasional anxiety-related insomnia, which is what I have. I am only interested in non-benzodiazepine prescription sleep aids.

Bingo.

Melatonin doesn't do squat for people with serious sleep issues. Or who are really tense and anxious.

Ambien works.

But every doc who prescribes it a lot says it can really trigger weird stuff in a sizable sub-population of patients. Like sleep-walking.

5. suited

suited Senior member

medicinal marijuana?

yes

6. IDirector

IDirector Senior member

Try knockin one out before bed. Helps me sleep.

7. javyn

javyn Senior member

I don't understand this. Magnesium citrate is used for constipation or as a bowel prep- how is it going to help with your sleep? If anything, it would keep you up running to the bathroom.

No, the amount you take as a sleep aid is much less than what you'd take to clear your bowels. I take 1.5 grams every night with no problems whatsoever.

8. william

william Senior member

No, the amount you take as a sleep aid is much less than what you'd take to clear your bowels. I take 1.5 grams every night with no problems whatsoever.

i've been trying this for the last three nights. i do feel more relaxed, but it doesn't help me get to sleep. it is making me shit a lot though. everyone's different..

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

Yeah everyone's different. I sleep very well when taking Mag Cit. Normally I wake up throughout the night without it.

10. taktikz

taktikz Senior member

11. Ge Fuzz

Ge Fuzz Senior member

Ambien CR is the same as Ambien its just Controlled Release

Ambien does have some wicked side effects (halucinations, amnesia) but crashing a car isn't one of them. Taking ambien and then driving is just stupid, not a side effect. It is very easy to OD on Ambien and then think its a good idea to drive I guess. Its also not a good idea to mix ambien with other drugs like morphine, trust me on that one.

When you say you feel like crap the next day do you mean drowsy? I find this to be the case sometimes as well. I don't take Ambien every night though.

Ativan or Lorazepam works for some people too, especailly those who suffer insomnia due to anxiety.

12. Crakaveli

Crakaveli Senior member

phosphatidylcholine

13. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

how about good old classic glass of milk?

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

sunlight and hot water bottle for your feet

15. wheelspastore

wheelspastore Member

Two calcium, magnesium, zinc supplements (CMZ?) every night seems to really help. Something about the ratio between the magnesium and calcium.

Some valerian if I'm stressed. Found out that the sleep problems I've had my whole life was anxiety related and just a couple weeks worth of valerian nightly eventually put me on a much better sleep cycle...which in turn reduced stress.

Tried the OTC sleep aids before and they all left me very groggy the next morning. No effects the next morning with the CMZ's or Valerian.