• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the Thom Browne stuff on GG today a good example of his style?

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outside the 2 Black Fleece shirts I own, and the Black Fleece store on Bleeker, I am not too familiar with Thom.

med.jpg

med.jpg

med.jpg

med.jpg

Dark Grey Wool Skirt Suit $4300

I like the fact Thom thinks "outside the box", He should be applauded for that. But some of these looks are just bizarre. Is anything of this practical outside the runway? Shorts and blazers, extremely short pants, A $4,000 men's skirt?

Does anybody wear this stuff IRL?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing I would wear is some of the cardigans, the gloves and the madras trench coat. Everything else is horrible.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
to answer your question: I think so.

dozens of really nice and "normal" looking pieces including polos, cardigans, vests, suits, blazers, pants, shirts, ties, scarves, etc .... and then a handful of wild things for those who dare.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those PJs in the first pic. I swear my mother tried to make me wear them when I was eight. Wasn't happening then either.

When I was a kid I swear I knew some 70 + year old golfers that dressed like these guys. Well no skirt but the rest they'd have loved.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
I like the fact Thom thinks "outside the box", He should be applauded for that. But some of these looks are just bizarre. Is anything of this practical outside the runway? Shorts and blazers, extremely short pants, A $4,000 men's skirt?

Does anybody wear this stuff IRL?

Anything truly fashion forward will be bizarre at first. Thats the beauty of fashion. We cant all dress in the past like some SFers insist on doing because they are too afraid to take risks. Shorts and blazers is a practical look! Thats something that i can see becoming common actually! Extremely short pants? Well, hems have been rising, not to thom brown lengths but I believe he was a huge influence! Mens skirts is an interesting idea. I have seen it done and somehow, miraculously it was pulled off! The guy that did it dresses very loudly to match his personality so I think thats how he pulled it off.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I said I have 2 BF shirts and I love them, great quality and nice fit. I also see some really nice ties and scarfs.

But this other stuff is just really out there.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Anything truly fashion forward will be bizarre at first. Thats the beauty of fashion. We cant all dress in the past like some SFers insist on doing because they are too afraid to take risks. Shorts and blazers is a practical look! Thats something that i can see becoming common actually! Extremely short pants? Well, hems have been rising, not to thom brown lengths but I believe he was a huge influence! Mens skirts is an interesting idea. I have seen it done and somehow, miraculously it was pulled off! The guy that did it dresses very loudly to match his personality so I think thats how he pulled it off.

I know he's having trouble right now, but people must be wearing these looks for him to make it this far. Like I said, I applaud him for being different. My initial reaction to the stuff I saw on GG is probably what he's going for.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
for what it's worth, I don't think he made skirts with the intention of making them a staple. In fact, I doubt he really made more than just a handful and as you can see, they sure as heck were noticed.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Nothing wrong with shorts/blazers.

Maybe it's just the short length and the fabric combination. They are barely visible and the model almost looks like he's not wearing anything at all.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate the overly skinny lapels. Otherwise, from what I hear, they are quality pieces, notwithstanding retail pricing.

glowell222

Reaction score
There's no such thing as a "men's skirt". Next, you'll be telling us that men wear Capri pants.

elgreco

Reaction score
The polos on Gilt look really nice, and I remember seeing a nice quality navy one at Barneys in February. But at $200 for what amounts to a crop-top, you can't really justify it. Unless you're a bankruptcy attorney at a major law firm and this recession is treating you very well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics