• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the taste on this forum too "nouveau riche"?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
As opposed to fat people taking pictures of themselves wearing terrible suits

My suits are not terrible.

- B

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff

The conformity can take the form of people so worried about not standing out that they look for clothing items that make them stand out without the confidence that their own character will do so.

I disagree. I think that selecting and wearing clothing that expresses an individual's style, even if that style is ultra-conservative, is part of one's character, or, to use a better word, personality. There are many ways to stand out even at a conservative black tie affair. If you have a brilliantly tailored tuxedo and fine accoutrements to go with it, I guarantee you will stand out to the people who matter, (i.e., those with the discernment to note that your tuxedo wasn't at the prom last Friday night). If your character is subtle, understated, and smooth, then having the right clothing can be the equivalent of shouting across the room.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
If you have a brilliantly tailored tuxedo and fine accoutrements to go with it, I guarantee you will stand out to the people who matter...

Well, except for the fact that if I'm not at the event, there's no one there who matters.

It's an important proviso.

- B

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
J'emploie mon franglais pour envoyer à la boucherie le français comme un fendoir mat. C'est une vieille tradition de yankee.

La critique est aisÃ
00a9.png
e, mais l'art est difficile.

- G

Vox, tu sais que j'te niaise. Tu sembles être cool, et ce, malgrÃ
00a9.png
tes cuissards de vÃ
00a9.png
lo...Stp, n'affiches plus de photos, et surtout, Ã
00a9.png
pargnes-nous en les dÃ
00a9.png
tails!
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Vox, tu sais que j'te niaise. Tu sembles être cool, et ce, malgrÃ
00a9.png
tes cuissards de vÃ
00a9.png
lo...Stp, n'affiches plus de photos, et surtout, Ã
00a9.png
pargnes-nous en les dÃ
00a9.png
tails!
smile.gif

smile.gif

I should be returning to the photographic arts shortly.

- B

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good God man, don't do it!

Just realized that damn discussion about foyers a while ago gave off a certain nouveau riche vibe.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
But you are a diva, correct?

Gypsy would still be open if he was on the billing instead of that Lupone character.

--Andre

Felix Krull

Reaction score
I would say that the taste on this forum is not "nouveau riche," without regard for net worth, but because the derogatory inference of using the term "nouveau riche" implies a lack of refinement, appreciation or outright obtuseness towards the products acquired via newfound wealth. For example, if junior makes a mint from his dot.com buyout and throws a party for all his friends, buys a few bottles of Chateau Margaux 1978 after having read about the vintage in Wine Spectator, no one would question that he is a dilletante---a common characteristic of the nouveau riche.

In stark contrast to my admittedly pointed example, many of the people on this forum have spent years honing their taste, knowledge and skill towards selecting and wearing fine clothing. To a neophyte or someone who lacks taste, such people may seem elitist but that is only because that observer cannot tell the difference between a $500 HSM suit and a $2,500 Brioni. He or she has no training of the eye to appreciate the subtleties of sartorial grace.

I am not sure if they still employ this practice, but I was made aware several years ago that Ferrari would not sell certain models of its cars to individuals who had never owned a Ferrari before, presumably to prevent the nouveau riche brat from snagging the last Enzo before a tried and true Ferrari collector got it.

Of course, this is not relevant with respect to clothing, but it does illustrate that some high-end brands will employ protectionist policies to safeguard their reputation against the nouveau riche who might not be able to fully appreciate it at their current level of understanding.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
You would say that it isn't conformist here. I did mention that SF doesn't consider itself conformist.
wink.gif

Well, then I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Lord Gladstone

Reaction score
In some point of view most of us are nouveau riche, as we are not descendent of a family which endured to be wealthy for 4 centuries. On the other hand if one wants to confine the terms of old money vs. new money to matters of etiquette one should conclude that most WAYWRN posts and topics are relatively old money.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
For example, if junior makes a mint from his dot.com buyout and throws a party for all his friends, buys a few bottles of Chateau Margaux 1978 after having read about the vintage in Wine Spectator, no one would question that he is a dilletante---a common characteristic of the nouveau riche.

I consider myself a dilettante by occupation. It's really quite lovely, as far as occupations go.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stills999

Reaction score
Very interesting thread ... for me it raises an interesting alternative question.

"Is the motivation on this forum out of genuine love of style, or out of fear and insecurity".

Most here I am sure genuinely enjoy style for it's own sake or they would not spend time helping others (which I thankfully attest to receiving myself). I'm sure however, there are others that want to show-off, feel superoir to others, which unfortunately makes style and fashion seem to "outsiders" and "insiders" alike as a vain and ugly interest.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan Jr.
I use the word "nouveau riche" in the older context of the word but I will also acknowledge that most nouveau riches today are hard workers, at least in America, and have spearheaded progress by contributing to society in tangible ways. Old money in the image of the Hilton daughters and Kennedy's youngest generation just live off the fat of their parents wealth and do nothing for society. New money (Chinese, North Korean, Saudi government and their families) can also be just as decadent and dirty.
I think "nouveau riche" is also defined relative to the country you're living in. From a UK perspective, the Hiltons and Kennedy would be part of the nouveau riche, albeit in the upper end of the earning spectrum. In fact, I suspect anyone from a family that wasn't titled or landed gentry prior to the 1800's would be considered nouveau riche. Aristocracy/old money would be say, the Duke of Roxeburghe, Earl of Portland, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics