• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the Schott Perfecto still..."cool"?

Returningson

Reaction score
Ok, the leather perfector has been around forever and every bro on here wants to be Marlon Brando so its only natural that dozens of people have purchased the classicaly styled perfecto in hopes of acheveing this. After eyeing GQ's pick featured here

http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/...ackets#slide=4

and after seeing Burberry Prorsum's basic reissue of the motorcycle jacket, I figure why not get myself one. I found this one at my local goodwill of all places for $10 (its an early 1980s german copy). I gave it the hot water treatment and lathered it with pecards to see the final finish you see here. But when I style with it, I just gotta ask, are these jackets for people still stuck in the early 90s when the governator was still gracing the screen (his jacket, although similiar, wasnt a perfector but a Bates) or is it still a cool, "fashion-y" style statment?

DSC04232.jpg

DSC04238.jpg

DSC04213.jpg

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is unforgiving. It accentuates the underlying attitude of the wearer. If you're a "don't give a ****" kind of guy it accentuates the badass. If you're a corporate drone it makes you look even dorkier, without the nerd chic.

MadAboutPlaid

Reaction score
The Perfecto will always be cool. Makes me think of The Ramones.

But what is the hot water treatment and "pecards?"

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
It is unforgiving. It accentuates the underlying attitude of the wearer. If you're a "don't give a ****" kind of guy it accentuates the badass. If you're a corporate drone it makes you look even dorkier, without the nerd chic.

Yep - it's all about how you wear it and what you wear w/ it

It's a classic jacket - will never be "uncool" - just worn incorrectly

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't look very good on you, and you're wearing kind of a dad-type jean with them which is really unflattering in terms of textures and connotations. So 'cool' is sort of out of the discussion.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis

His glasses and the fact that he put cool in quotes leads me to think it's the latter.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
It doesn't look very good on you, and you're wearing kind of a dad-type jean with them which is really unflattering in terms of textures and connotations. So 'cool' is sort of out of the discussion.
Agreed But man the more I look at it, that is a sick jacket and the fit is all right Would easily look great w/ just a plain white tee, some raw jeans, and not being in that house w/ all that kitschy ****

Returningson

Reaction score
Well aside from the overly positive comments on the **** lingering in my house, this thread at least has illustrated that attitude plays an important factor in wearing the leather even though the same thing could be said of any garment. Most of you guys are probably just pissed cuz I scored a killer jacket for $10 while you throw down a months wages for one that may not look as good. Anyway, to answer an inquiry posted earlier, the "hot water treatment" is when you step into the shower with your jacket, get it soaked and the crumple it up into a ball and let it sit overnight to dry. The leather shrinks down a bit giving you that slim look and really brings out the grain while adding some wrinkles and texture. Pecards is just a generic leather dressing that you apply after to soften the hide...

Returningson

Reaction score
Thanks! But yeah, tomorrow I will throw on a basic white tee, my APCs and try to avoid snapping a pic inside to follow members advice...

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Returningson
Well aside from the overly positive comments on the **** lingering in my house, this thread at least has illustrated that attitude plays an important factor in wearing the leather even though the same thing could be said of any garment. Most of you guys are probably just pissed cuz I scored a killer jacket for $10 while you throw down a months wages for one that may not look as good.

Why start a thread if you think you know the answer? I'm trying to give you advice so that you don't look bad dude, I don't have anything against you. Look at the sleeve/body interface, and where the shoulder seam is sitting, and the shape of the sleeve; it's not a good looking jacket. Has nothing to do with whether the Perfecto is cool as a design (it is, of course); that particular jacket is ugly and you're not wearing it that well (wrong body shape and styling).

Also if those are your hats in the background you should donate them to Goodwill, you're too young and whitebread to wear a hat.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Returningson
Well aside from the overly positive comments on the **** lingering in my house, this thread at least has illustrated that attitude plays an important factor in wearing the leather even though the same thing could be said of any garment. Most of you guys are probably just pissed cuz I scored a killer jacket for $10 while you throw down a months wages for one that may not look as good. Anyway, to answer an inquiry posted earlier, the "hot water treatment" is when you step into the shower with your jacket, get it soaked and the crumple it up into a ball and let it sit overnight to dry. The leather shrinks down a bit giving you that slim look and really brings out the grain while adding some wrinkles and texture. Pecards is just a generic leather dressing that you apply after to soften the hide...

Sounds like someone didn't get the answer he was hoping for.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket looks alright but it could definitely fit better as pointed out above. Honestly though, if you even have to ask then the perfecto's not for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads