• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the Samba K (kangaroo leather) much more comfy?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question. I saw an online sale for Samba Ks (the ones in kangaroo leather) for $60, and this is my favorite sneaker. However, I have regular black Sambas whose soles aren't anywhere close to worn and I have a feeling these shoes aren't going to die anytime soon.

For those who have them, is the Samba K and its kangaroo leather that much more comfortable? They look identical, but I was thinking of buying Samba Ks then just abusing the old pair when necessary.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Quick question. I saw an online sale for Samba Ks (the ones in kangaroo leather) for $60, and this is my favorite sneaker. However, I have regular black Sambas whose soles aren't anywhere close to worn and I have a feeling these shoes aren't going to die anytime soon.

For those who have them, is the Samba K and its kangaroo leather that much more comfortable? They look identical, but I was thinking of buying Samba Ks then just abusing the old pair when necessary.

i think comfort-wise, they're the same. IIRC, the K leather is really if you're actually competing with them on and size down a half size, as I did for both outdoor soccer. i wore regular samba's in my regular for indoor soccer, and the K-leather copa mundial for outdoor soccer/football. i never really took indoor seriously - it was just out of season conditioning for my club team back in the late 80's/early 90's.

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
i think comfort-wise, they're the same. IIRC, the K leather is really if you're actually competing with them on and size down a half size, as I did for both outdoor soccer. i wore regular samba's in my regular for indoor soccer, and the K-leather copa mundial for outdoor soccer/football. i never really took indoor seriously - it was just out of season conditioning for my club team back in the late 80's/early 90's.

+1

but indoor is just so much fun! I find it requires more dribble skill too, in general.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo
+1

but indoor is just so much fun! I find it requires more dribble skill too, in general.

yeah. which wasn't good for me. i was a below average dribbler (ok, really subpar. i had one or two moves, and if they didn't work, i was screwed). but i was an above average passer, especially on set piece and crosses where you can anticipate the cut and play for the open space. the real thing was better suited for my skills. plus, everytime i played, my team and i were violent, penalty-prone city punks who had the irresistible urge to smack our suburban pansy opponents into the boards and get sent into the penalty box.....

migo

Reaction score
yeah. which wasn't good for me. i was a below average dribbler (ok, really subpar. i had one or two moves, and if they didn't work, i was screwed). but i was an above average passer, especially on set piece and crosses where you can anticipate the cut and play for the open space. the real thing was better suited for my skills. plus, everytime i played, my team and i were violent, penalty-prone city punks who had the irresistible urge to smack our suburban pansy opponents into the boards and get sent into the penalty box.....
My indoor team was that way...we got banned from the indoor league at gw for next semester for being a little violent...almost called UPD on our goalie after they gave him a red
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

atroopan

Reaction score
... plus, everytime i played, my team and i were violent, penalty-prone city punks who had the irresistible urge to smack our suburban pansy opponents into the boards and get sent into the penalty box.....

Why did you stop playing hockey btw ?
boxing[1].gif

troop

RustyRyan

Reaction score
The Samba K have a much nicer tongue(same as Copas and WCs) than the cheaper model.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and size down a half size, as I did for both outdoor soccer
So if I'm a 10 in regular Sambas, I should find a 9.5 in Samba Ks? (Which doesn't seem to be available now, just 9 and 10.)

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if I'm a 10 in regular Sambas, I should find a 9.5 in Samba Ks? (Which doesn't seem to be available now, just 9 and 10.)

no, what i was saying that i wore soccer shoes a half size down for competition - they were intentionally tight if they were for competition. regular size for regular life, half size down for playing soccer.

if you are walking around, you should just get the regular size. if you are playing soccer, go down a half size.

and i think K leather, which is durable, is only worth the extra expense if you're going to actually play or train with them. the soles will wear out way before the upper.

Babar

Reaction score
I have both, and would definitely get the K. Not only because they feel better, but also because they look much better. The normal Sambas have that stiff synthetic looking leather whereas the leather on the Ks has much more character and ages more gracefully. It's a shame they don't make K versions of more models.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. They stretch more than your usual Samba and you compensate for that, right?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. They stretch more than your usual Samba and you compensate for that, right?

i like a tighter shoe for better soccer ball control. and for a better striking surface. i would go down a half size even for a calf shoe.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay I pulled the trigger. Let me see how these feel, heh. I think I bought my original Sambas a half size too big, actually.

kakemono

Reaction score
To give another reason to sizing down for competition... it also it just like any shoe where if there is slip in the shoe, you develop some nasty blisters - which you don't get if your just lounging around in them walking around.

Sambas are a nice shoe. You'll enjoy em.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads