• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the Rube-banger a drunk?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I've been seeing a gal for awhile. She's interesting, meticulously neat and clean, quite pretty and loves to rock Rube's world (although she makes this funny little keening noise while I'm banging her...). But I'm wondering if she's a drunk.

We met for burgers and beers awhile back and she tossed back at least seven tall Fat Tires and then cracked another when we got back to her apartment. (I didn't think too much about it at the time as most of my body's blood had shifted from one head to the other.
blush.gif
)

Last week she came over to my place and I made dinner. She walked in the door with a 750 of tequila and a 1.75 of margarita mix. By the time she left five hours later there were only a couple inches left in the tequila and I'd had only one drink. And a couple of the five hours she had her hands otherwise occupied, so she wasn't drinking.
laugh.gif

She never seems hammered: no slurred speech, unsteady gait or glassy eyes. But even when she's not drinking in my presence, her breath smells "liquory". Oh, and she's an itty-bitty thing so its not like she's a ***** who can pour a bunch of booze down her gullet without effect. But she has a cocktail every day at lunch and starts every weekend morning with a stop at the neighborhood tavern for her "Bloody".

Is she a drunk?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i had a gf once who always smelled a bit boozy but i forgave her cause her uncle ate her out when she was a kid. would make me drink too.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like being serious for once, so here ya go:

Pharmacists are notorious for substance abuse.

Alcoholics stay thin because of energy-wasting pathways. A lot of the alcohol isn't fully metabolized which leads to health problems (liver damage, etc.).

Take that as you will.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seriously, you make it sound all negative and ****.

WHO THE **** TOOK MY BOURBON!!!!!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Yes, is that a bad thing?

+1

you are a nice guy, so I am assuming you care about her as a person, or you wouldn't be ********** with her. I think that she is an alcoholic. it can't be good for her, but she is functioning, it isn't causing her problems in her life. the question is, do you like her enough to possibly screw up what you have to talk to her about it and possibly (or possibly not) improve the overall and long term quality of her life? or do you want to continue to enjoy what you have?

hard call.

(short answer, yes)

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^I don't think I am at all interested in spending a lot of time with a drunk, regardless of how much enjoyment it might bring me.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you be afraid to bring her to other social situations like weddings or even potlucks?

If the answer is yes, you'll need to part ways.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
^I don't think I am at all interested in spending a lot of time with a drunk, regardless of how much enjoyment it might bring me.

to play devils advocate, why? you seem to describe a perfectly funtioning person who drinks a lot.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^This is harsh because it is based on what might be a very false assumption, but I'm wondering what she's like when she is sober.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^This is harsh because it is based on what might be a very false assumption, but I'm wondering what she's like when she is sober.

Do you really want to know? Are you in it for the relationship, or just the sex? If the former, I see why you might care.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

good question

(you are living the life, my man!!)

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But seriously, to me there is a pretty obvious difference between someone who enjoys their liquor and a true alcoholic. You can drink a lot, but only when it's appropriate and have no withdrawal symptoms or cravings and still enjoy yourself sober. Or you drink when the timing is wrong and when you know it will have a negative impact and just can't have fun without it.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Do you really want to know? Are you in it for the relationship, or just the sex? If the former, I see why you might care.
That's a good question. I really enjoy the time we spend together and while I'm not out looking for a relationship, I could see where one might develop. There are other potential deal-breakers between us, but seeing her slam her way through almost an entire bottle of tequila got my attention, and not in a good way.
confused.gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Would you be afraid to bring her to other social situations like weddings or even potlucks?

If the answer is yes, you'll need to part ways.

Maybe, but he didn't say anything about her being bad when she's drunk.

What if she's the life of the party and everyone loves her when she's tipsy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads