• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the jacket too short?

butaro

Reaction score
Even though i "Feel" and think that it fits, when i look in the mirror or pictures there is something not so right.
I can't quite tell exactly though so i took a picture of the front and back and i was wondering if i could get some advice to know what is wrong.
Or if its fine that would help me to stop worrying.

Mainly i think it is maybe a inch or two too short i've measured the proportions of jacket to pants and its around 60-65% bottom 40-45% top.

The jacket is linen/cotton.

I'm 5'11 and have a short torso and long legs. Pretty thin build.

Thanks for any input!

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it looks a bit large, have the sides taken in.

Khnelben

Reaction score
it's good length wise. just get the "fullness" out of the waist.

Andrey

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't see so much fullness around the waist, but the back could use some more shape. If you unbutton the top button, the jacket won't look so square or so short.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's shorter than I would prefer in my coats, but you could probably pull it off if you made the waist adjustments recommended by others. It's so wide now that the shortness is exaggerated, making the coat look boxy. If the waist fit better it would make the jacket look longer.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket is short and awkward but if you have the waist taken in a bit the dimensions will equal out. It could be a nice jacket with the right amount of waist supression.

butaro

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I didn't think it was too short myself, but following most of the "guidelines" around for suit length i wasn't so sure.
I don't think it's "perfect" but its within a desirable length wouldn't you think?

I guess what bothers me a little is being able to see some of my shirt sometimes when the bottom button isn't done up (always??)

I'll take the tip to unbutton the top button!

What you mean by fullness?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The jacket looks good but the sides need to be taken in.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes it is, too short in the sleeves which can be fixed but it is also too short in the body. Normally you want to cup your hands at the bottom and be able to touch the coat which I can tell yours is to long for you to be able to do that. That is something that cannot be fixed unless you do a recut or something but that can be more trouble then it's worth. I would just go with a long or extra long which ever the case may be.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it has much linen content, professional cleaning likely will make it too short to all.

Finsen

Reaction score
I'll say it's too short.

Thom Browne'll say it's too long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads