• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the gorge on this jacket really low?

Johnathan

Reaction score
Or is it just me?

1b3f_1.JPG

Should I stay away?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a little too low for my personal taste. But it's not only the gorge that looks a bit dated, the shape of the notch too.

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
It's a little too low for my personal taste. But it's not only the gorge that looks a bit dated, the shape of the notch too.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Ah well.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnathan
Yeah, I noticed that too. Ah well.
Many people would disagree with me here though and think that higher gorges are too fashionable or something like that.

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Many people would disagree with me here though and think that higher gorges are too fashionable or something like that.
I'm not one for super-high gorges and inch-wide lapels, but this one stood out to me.

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
Go with a high gorge and a high button stance. A lower gorge only flatters the really tall.-Manton November 13th, 2004, 08:08 PM

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freefinancialadvice
Go with a high gorge and a high button stance. A lower gorge only flatters the really tall.-Manton November 13th, 2004, 08:08 PM

So sayeth the Lord.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's really low, although it's lower than what's popular now. But it really depends on how the jacket looks when worn--can't tell much when it's on a hanger.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's low, but not unwearably so...and I agree that pics of it being worn would make it easier to judge.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Come on, it's not that low. It's just not high.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
would be easier to judge it on a person, but it's pretty low.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I don't think it's super low. If you're planning on keeping the jacket for a few years I imagine that fashionable gorges will hit that area in no time. haha

On a side note, I bought what might be the single least Style-Forumy jacket every yesterday. It's Giorgio Armani. It has a low gorge, structured shoulders and no flaps on the pockets (if it had flaps, it could pass as a blue blazer). I'm not entirely sure where/how I'll wear it, but somehow I couldn't pass it up as when I put it on, it fit perfectly and looked impressively sleek (though looking at Manton's quote that might have been helped by me being tall and thin). So anyway, i might not be the best person to judge appropriateness of gorge height...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads