• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the duck boot the new boat shoe?

TheDroog

Reaction score
Last week, I joked in another thread that boat shoe mania would eventually end and be replaced by the slightly uglier duck boot.

This week I got the newest GQ, and lo and behold, the duck boot was featured as the cool shoe of fall in the "hunting season" spread.

Duck boots are functional, but fashionable? Will SFers be wearing them with skinny jeans and Band of Outsider shirts? What say you?

AAAAAuuHAvsAAAAAAJGD2Q.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
Is the duck boot the new boat shoe?
You do realize both are seasonal shoes right?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a pair of very tall Bean Boots this summer and am looking forward to using them on snowy days. http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...rom=SR&feat=sr You know, they are kind of like the male counterpart to the ubiquity of Hunter wellies on women the last few years.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
You do realize both are seasonal shoes, and not even from the same season, right?

fixxord

The Transporter

Reaction score
Cool! I can dig out my pair from 1987 and be right in step with the times! Should I dig out my field coat with the game pocket to go with it?

TheDroog

Reaction score
My point is that both are utilitarian items that, while useful, have never been considered particularly good-looking. L.L.Bean has made duck boots for about 100 years at $50/pair and no one ever thought they were cool.

But now GQ is featuring them in spreads and designer brands are selling $200+ versions. It's boat shoe redux.

To get theoretical about it, I think men's fashion is on the constant lookout for authenticity. It looks for something that hasn't been metrosexualized yet - even if it's not good looking - and tries to make it cool and more expensive.

Eagle

Reaction score
I bought my first LL Bean boots perhaps 40 years ago. The next pair came just 14 years back and just last year I bought a third pair of their boots and a pair of their oxford version of the Bean boot. They are classics in my book. Glad to hear GQ is finally catching on!
smile.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been familiar with this type of footgear for well over 50 years, mostly in the form of Bean's Maine Hunting Shoes.

I thought the generic term for them was "shoepacs" (alt. "shoepacks"). I had never hitherto heard the term "duck boots." I thought most serious duck hunters wore waders.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I first became familiar with these back in high school. At the time, Sporto made a mid cut as well as a low cut version of Bean's Maine Hunting boots/shoes in several colors (red, green, blue, etc). The Sportos were definitely the winter boot of choice at my school. Only several years later did I learn that Bean was the originator of this particular style.

I don't think this style, whether it's the Bean original or another brand's interpretation, will ever gain widespread appeal, fashion spread or not. The Trads will always have a place in their heart and closet for the Bean original though.

On another semi-related note, I later purchased a pair of Sorel 1964 boots because of the near record snowfall we had last winter...Hadn't worn one of those in years!

ADH

Reaction score
We can't forget that GQ featured boat shoes awhile back so it isn't surprising if the have something that is now the winter/inclement weather equivalent. I started reading GQ five years ago and have never been able to figure it out. I say down with whatever they say.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be wearing my Bean boots this fall regardless of what GQ says. They serve a role but are not the be-all, end-all boot.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, wear duck boots next time you're going out on a boat or to the yacht club.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never really liked them, and have no plans to wear them.

I always kind of liked boat shoes so I've worn them moderately before they were some sort of fad, and will wear them after their heydey is over as well.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Preppy is definitely back, isn't it?

I still have my Bean boots from 1987 as well - I wear them when I go skiing but that's about it living here in Arizona.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Most of the "fashion" twats in NYC wear them come winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics