• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the blazer/jeans look still alive?

imac76

Reaction score
I'm looking to put together an outfit for the weekend (St. Patrick's Day houseparty) and was wondering if this look is still making the rounds. Can anyone give me some suggestions on colour combinations. What sort of top should I wear with them (shirt? t-shirt? tucked?) I'm a fairly big guy. And what about shoes? Are wing-tips too dressy for the outfit? I could also go with a pair of plain black leather boots. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Absolutely still alive IMO, though I wouldn't use a regular navy blazer with brass buttons personally. I do it with a black lightweight jacket, a camel hair navy jacket with horn buttons, and a tweed jacket I just picked up:

wywt11ds5.jpg

As for shirts, they should have a collar, though I admit to occasionally pulling the t-shirt with jacket thing too. A more casual fabric is recommended. Some tuck, some don't.

If the jeans are nice, I don't think wingtips are too dressy, but it depends more on what kind of party we're talking about than anything.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

nioh

Reaction score
I don't particular like the blazer/jeans look. Something, I can't put my finger on it, might be the half-attempt to look dressed up but still to cautious to take it all the way which throws the ensemble off and I would prefer a more formal kind of trouser.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
done well:
wywt11ds5.jpg

done atrociously:
2nkj2ua.jpg

it's all in the fit. people think that because they are mashing-up pieces and being all deconstructionist (in a thoroughly conventional way at this point), they can just be all over the place. Keep it continuous. Just becaue the top and bottom come from 2 different arenas of menswear doesn't mean you're not wearing 1 outfit.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst some will shudder at the mere thought, Jeans/blazer shirt untucked remains entirely acceptable unless the host has stipulated something more formal. In which case civility usually demands conforming.

Lose the tie as well!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
done well:
wywt11ds5.jpg

agree. Generally not a fan of adding a tie into that mix, but J definitely proves to be the exception as I really like the way *he* looks with that ensemble

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the blazer/jeans look as anyone who frequents S&D WAYWN knows. I think it works for casual yet dressy purposes and there are many ways you can tweak the look depending on the cut and formality of the jacket, and the darkness and cut of the jeans.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I don't do it, but Lucky Strike posts pics of sportcoats and blazers with jeans to good effect in the WAYW thread all along. They might be worth digging out.

J, that looks great. Tell us about that jacket.

Buickguy

Reaction score
My tastes run like nioh in that I've never been a fan of that particular look.
That said, the look remains very much alive and for the right occasion.
I would think a St Patrick's house party is a good occasion.
As pointed out, when done well it can be a statement.
When done deplorably the only statement it makes isn't one I'd be proud of.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Still alive with me. But, as with everything, fit is crucial so as not to look like the guy in photo #2 above. I prefer dark, dark jeans with no distressing. Dress shirt tucked. No tie. And either open laced bluchers or chelsea boots. For St Patricks day, consider green pocket square or green carnation in lapel
lol8[1].gif

Leslierc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imac76
I'm looking to put together an outfit for the weekend (St. Patrick's Day houseparty) and was wondering if this look is still making the rounds. Can anyone give me some suggestions on colour combinations. What sort of top should I wear with them (shirt? t-shirt? tucked?) I'm a fairly big guy. And what about shoes? Are wing-tips too dressy for the outfit? I could also go with a pair of plain black leather boots. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers

Still going strong. Check out the most recent Bergdorf Goodman catalog. The menswear section is loaded with blazer/jean combinations.

In my opinion, the correct wingtip shoe would make a perfect finish to this look. However, I'd stay away from "plain" black boots.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think a hefty "Budapester" style wingtip derby with a bigger toebox looks great with jeans/blazer

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I don't do it, but Lucky Strike posts pics of sportcoats and blazers with jeans to good effect in the WAYW thread all along. They might be worth digging out.

J, that looks great. Tell us about that jacket.

Jacket is a vintage herringbone tweed 'Nordstrom Best' 3b sack with no front darts but good waist suppression and almost no shoulder padding. Also has this cool half lining:

nordstrombestvc1.jpg

Needed a 1" repair to the stitching on the vent lining and a steaming, but no alterations.

And yeah, ordinarily I wouldn't wear a tie with it but that one is a mohair (/wool?) knit so it seemed to work pretty well.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still alive and will always be, in my books. I rock it like ten men a lot of weekends.

You know, they laughed at me the first time I wore jeans with a sport coat. I was the first wealthy man in America to ever do that! Now they all do it! Did you ever hear of Mike Milkin?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree-- it is 100% still in, cool, and a very sharp look. Whether or not you wear it with a necktie might be up for debate, but there seems to be no question that this is still a great look. I find it is especially good for going to a restaurant with a "smart casual" dress code, shopping in high end stores, trips to the museum, on a hot date, or other situations that you don't want to wear a suit or traditional jacket and tie.

For more examples of this look you may want to emulate-- and because it is a very stylish movie overall, suggest you rent or purchase the Layer Cake DVD.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads