• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is tan classic?

the_sulks

Reaction score
It goes without saying that colors like black, brown, gray, white are classic. They have been classic and they always will be. In recent years however it seems tan has become very popular when it comes to shoes. Honestly, I doubt the icon styles like Cary Grant used to wear tan shoes back in the day like many people on this forum do. I also doubt tan will be in fashion say in ten years. I like tan yet it won't last long in my opinion. I might be wrong though.

What do you think?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It goes without saying that colors like black, brown, gray, white are classic. They have been classic and they always will be. In recent years however it seems tan has become very popular when it comes to shoes. Honestly, I doubt the icon styles like Cary Grant used to wear tan shoes back in the day like many people on this forum do. I also doubt tan will be in fashion say in ten years. I like tan yet it won't last long in my opinion. I might be wrong though.
What do you think?

:facepalm:

Tan shoes have been worn by well dressed men for decades and will continue to be worn for many more.

Last edited:

the_sulks

Reaction score

:facepalm:
Tan shoes have been worn by well dressed men for decades and will continue to be worn for many more.

Are you sure this man on the picture wears tan, not brown shoes?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, tan is just a light shade of brown, where do you draw the line between tan and not-tan? They look tan to me.

Regardless, even if they are not tan in that image, the fact that I cannot find a relevant picture does not mean they were not worn.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd consider it a classic color.

williamson

Reaction score
I don't know from where you are writing, but (as I believe I have explained on a thread concerned with raincoats on this forum) tan means different things in British and American English. A "tan" raincoat in America would likely be called beige, fawn or stone here.
Well, tan is just a light shade of brown, where do you draw the line between tan and not-tan? They look tan to me.

This is the shade that is called "tan" on this side of the Atlantic.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has been around a long time and to that extent is classic - a term you do not define.

the_sulks

Reaction score

Blazes Boylan's smart tan shoes creaked on the barfloor where he strode. Yes, gold from anear by bronze from afar.
James Joyce, Ulysses

Wow, it seems someone here has read Ulysses. Do you mean this guy on the picture is Blazes Boylan?

Speaking of which, are there many clothes and shoes-related stuff in this intricate book?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I like tan yet it won't last long in my opinion.

George%20Hamilton-2.jpg

the_sulks

Reaction score

It is pretty hard to draw the line yet I’d say GBR who has posted in this thread has the tan shoes on his avatar and williamson has a tan wallet on his avatar, too. Tan is a bit saturated than light brown and a bit closer to yellow in my opinion.

Last edited:

the_sulks

Reaction score

It has been around a long time and to that extent is classic - a term you do not define.

Do you have the tan shoes on your avatar? If so, I wonder what the brand is.

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score

Wow, it seems someone here has read Ulysses. Do you mean this guy on the picture is Blazes Boylan?
Speaking of which, are there many clothes and shoes-related stuff in this intricate book?

No, I was just suggesting a definition of 'tan': gold from anear by bronze from afar.

Joyce himself was a bit of a dandy, so there are many references in the book. Here's Ned Lambert at Paddy Dignam's funeral:

Nice soft tweed Ned Lambert has in that suit. Tinge of purple. I had one like that when we lived in Lombard street west. Dressy fellow he was once. Used to change three suits in the day. Must get that grey suit of mine turned by Mesias. Hello. It's dyed. His wife I forgot he's not married or his landlady ought to have picked out those threads for him.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tan leather has been around since the beginning of leather tanning. As a matter of fact the very name comes from the color of leather produced by oak bark tanning. There could be no color of leather with a longer history.

Have they come and gone a bit in terms of popularity? I'm sure they probably have - all things do. But nothing could be more classic.

Wear those tan shoes! It's summer!

Put them away in the winter and go for burgundy, oxblood, brown, etc. etc.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads