• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is styleforum turning off new members?

stylenewbie

Reaction score
I always assumed that one aspect of style was one's manner and actions. However I have increasingly noticed certain people insulting and sometimes doing the online version of a screaming rant when "answering" less informed member's questions or statements. It seems that the default answer for many members is along the lines of "Why're you such an idiot that you don't know *blank*" or "Do a goddamn search!"

The thing is, I think many people forget that newer members have not spent 24hrs a day for the last 2-10 years reading up on the minutae and the operations of styleforum. Oftentimes a poster may have simply stumbled upon this site, and not yet spent the 5 hrs required to sift through all the posts on this site to find an answer. I think many members are trying so hard to be snarky and smart that they forget what it is to be a gentleman. As such I think we are really turning people off from what I believe is a very useful and otherwise supportive community.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to disagree, but then I read this:
I always assumed that one aspect of style was one's manner and actions.
Personally, I always try to answer as many questions that I feel qualified to answer as I can. I remember not knowing the slightest thing about clothes, so whatever people said went right over my head, so I try to break it down for new people. But then again, I'm just a nice person in general.
laugh.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This topic has been done before. Do a search.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fuuma?

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I think the site does not have the same atmosphere it did initially.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
I think the site does not have the same atmosphere it did initially.

Hah! Thank the DT crew for that. All your base are belong to us.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Some people try to be helpful, and some people are outright rude. Saying "search" is an awful thing to do; at least specify some useful keywords. Some people do make an honest effort to search, but as was mentioned above, they don't have any knowledge on which to base their searches.

That said, it gets tired of reading 100 new "help plz interview!!!!" threads every day.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylenewbie
eh never did get the hang of leet (sp?) speak

I believe macuser3of5 offers lessons.

Originally Posted by macuser3of5
IRC is about as obsolete as usenet.

goddamn n00bs. *shakes head*

That said, this probably won't work. lawyers and igents are not gonna download bitchx

bjornb17

Reaction score
I just joined a few days ago and have had a great experience and excellent advice provided to me so far. No complaints on my end.

However, my first thread was a complaint of thetiebar (and by extension, AAAC), so I guess I blended right in from the get-go
laugh.gif

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
theres a lot of clowns who "think" they are master of the universe types and alpha males on here no doubt

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
I agree. Some people try to be helpful, and some people are outright rude. Saying "search" is an awful thing to do; at least specify some useful keywords. Some people do make an honest effort to search, but as was mentioned above, they don't have any knowledge on which to base their searches.

That said, it gets tired of reading 100 new "help plz interview!!!!" threads every day.

This. And it also depends on how they ask and what they ask: I wnt gr8est soot 4 $50 need it by lunch 4 intrvw. vs. I will soon be graduating from a small crappy college and realize I know nothing about suits, I've browsed some of the forums....will get a different answer from me.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
while it is easy to hate on the forum, if you look at the first page right now and look at the pinned threads, pretty much everything is of use/helpful to people that would come here. Obviously, there will be snark and smart assness, that is a part of the forum but most people here are very helpful, in a way that you won't find on other forums. But if someone starts a thread asking for experiences/thoughts on Jantzen/Modern Tailor/Chan/Rubinacci etc etc, the snark will be well deserved.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads