• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is styleforum turning off new members?

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Some of you need to get over yourselves.

There is no law that says you have to click on threads from noobs.

Just don't click; not that hard
facepalm.gif

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
noobs are moving in on our good deals. Not to mention teh lurkerz.

Dunvegan

Reaction score
When I first came to this board, I was flamed and insulted, but quickly understood that:
A) I was asking some Noob questions, and
B) there are A-holes everywhere who think that a snarky comment is cooler than answering a question.

BUT...... for every snarky, flaming response, I've gotten 2-3 GREAT answers.

My advice to newbies: It's a freakin message board... there will ALWAYS be someone insulting you.

Chrenetique

Reaction score
Having read hundreds (maybe thousands?) of threads on SF, I never found people to be rude or nasty.

Rather, I found tons of useful information ; tons of useful pictures ; and when I had to ask, tons of useful answers delivered by gentlemen, for free.

And I didn't know much about style, 18 months ago.

It's hard to complain.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CMD.EXE
If I had joined right away without "lurking" and understanding what passes as "culture" around here I would have probably not given the board another chance

This. It's best to get a feel for the culture here before making a lot of posts.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

Bandit44

Reaction score
Every forum is run differently. I admin a watch forum and we simply don't allow insults, rudeness, et al but other similar forums have a no holds barred approach. The forum owner gets to decide. Like all communities, there are new members who haven't figured out the etiquette of posting, there are helpful veterans, and there are factions such as the "in crowd," who seem more interested in clever posts, innuendo, and stroking each other's egos than they are in helping others out. Doesn't matter whether it is a forum on petunia growing or men's style, the characters are remarkably similar.

My opinion is that on discussion boards, old topics are always open for revisiting. Doing a search doesn't involve discussion and does little to promote community, which one would think is the purpose of these forums. It isn't always laziness that someone chooses not to search; new members are often trying to find ways to include themselves in conversation and get to know other members. I haven't been around long enough to tell whether the forum is turning off new members; I'm generally getting information that I appreciate, but I tend to lurk more than post.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandit44
Every forum is run differently. I admin a watch forum and we simply don't allow insults, rudeness, et al but other similar forums have a no holds barred approach. The forum owner gets to decide. Like all communities, there are new members who haven't figured out the etiquette of posting, there are helpful veterans, and there are factions such as the "in crowd," who seem more interested in clever posts, innuendo, and stroking each other's egos than they are in helping others out. Doesn't matter whether it is a forum on petunia growing or men's style, the characters are remarkably similar.

My opinion is that on discussion boards, old topics are always open for revisiting. Doing a search doesn't involve discussion and does little to promote community, which one would think is the purpose of these forums. It isn't always laziness that someone chooses not to search; new members are often trying to find ways to include themselves in conversation and get to know other members. I haven't been around long enough to tell whether the forum is turning off new members; I'm generally getting information that I appreciate, but I tend to lurk more than post.

That is a great post...

SF is like any microcosm .

We have the in -crowd ,SF gentry/upper class ,the happy few who like alpha males are clever enough to stroke each other ego while humiliating newbies or the outcasts such as Mr Moo ...
People tend to try to be accepted or tolerated by them and even sometimes to be one of them...

We have the independent electrons who are gravitating around different groups , a bit more liberated from the group thinking or the constant need to act like an alpha male...
They're not afraid of being controversial and sometimes real agent agitateurs...
The best examples are Fritzl or Fuuma...

We have the suckers...
They're looking for reconition and can't stop sucking up to the alpha males to be accepted by them..
They constantly need to be reassured and also have a penchant for flattery....

We have the leisure Sfers who are coming to have a break from work/life and just relax while learning from the in-crowd..
They tend to stay in the background and not getting involved in the Sf in-fighting.
They post a bon escient and tend to stay for a while and leave .

We have the trolls ...
Funny like Vaclav ,not funny like so many others...

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree

when I See a new member I try to help him but I hate those wise guy answers that most of the time the same (ab)users with 20.000 post and no one useful gives them.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
That is a great post...

SF is like any microcosm .

We have the in -crowd ,SF gentry/upper class ,the happy few who like alpha males are clever enough to stroke each other ego while humiliating newbies or the outcasts such as Mr Moo ...
People tend to try to be accepted or tolerated by them and even sometimes to be one of them...

We have the independent electrons who are gravitating around different groups , a bit more liberated from the group thinking or the constant need to act like an alpha male...
They're not afraid of being controversial and sometimes real agent agitateurs...
The best examples are Fritzl or Fuuma...

We have the suckers...
They're looking for reconition and can't stop sucking up to the alpha males to be accepted by them..

We have the leisure Sfers who are coming to have a break from work/life and just relax while learning from the in-crowd..
They tend to stay in the background and not getting involved in the Sf in-fighting.
They post a bon escient and tend to stay for a while and leave .

We have the trolls ...
Funny like Vaclav ,not funny like so many others...

lasbar, are you trying to come up with a competing theory to my earlier one based on stellar evolution, that you so enthusiastically agreed with at the time?

how dare you
devil.gif

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
This thread is particulary annoying. This guy wants pictures and videos. Are you kidding me? There is plenty of information on this forum about clothes that fit skinny people. Perfect example of somebody who needs to do a little browsing and searching before posting.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=198784

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
We have the suckers...

names or it didn't happen.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst are the posts like this. It's always someone with 1 post, starting a new thread before even posting anything else, asking for an identification of some coat/shirt/sunglasses worn by someone in a movie or TV show.

People like this deserve everything they get in response.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads