1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is styleforum turning off new members?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stylenewbie, Sep 12, 2010.

1. ecclespeccles

ecclespeccles Well-Known Member

whether newbs are being turned off, i'm not sure. whether they should be, definately not. im sure the guys blowing up over dumb threads have contributed to the awesome wealth of knowledge that is styleforum. so either do a bit of a search beforehand, or take what these guys have to say on the chin if you've unwittlingly started a dumb thread, call them c*nts under your breath, and try not to do it again i guess. then get back to the gold.

and while you're all here, i've got this interview with a law firm next week...

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

This is now quite a mature site so far as the longevity of membership and depth of knowldge of many is concerned.

It therefore gets tedious for some of the same old questions to be raised yet again. Why is it so wrong to expect people to search against key words; Must everything be served on a plate to them?

Some newcomers also seem to ask more basic questions than used to be the case or expect their choices to be made for them: No one on here will ever wear in the OP's context anything for which approval or selection is called.

3. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

e-drama queens, attention wh*res and juvenile whiners.

AKA SW & D.

4. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

This is now quite a mature site so far as the longevity of membership and depth of knowldge of many is concerned.

It therefore gets tedious for some of the same old questions to be raised yet again. Why is it so wrong to expect people to search against key words; Must everything be served on a plate to them?

Some newcomers also seem to ask more basic questions than used to be the case or expect their choices to be made for them: No one on here will ever wear in the OP's context anything for which approval or selection is called.

I agree that there is the occasional stupid question thread, but let's face it: it's going to be repetitive. Is there anything that hasn't been discussed? This particular subforum is dedicated to "permanent style" which isn't exactly the most dynamic topic. New posters want to actually participate in discussion, not just read one that took place last year. If you're tired of that particular conversation, ignore it and post elsewhere.

And to these who say the tone isn't that different than many other message boards, I say, you guys visit shitty, cliquish boards populated by guys who were picked on as kids and revel in having a space where they're the tough guys/cool kids. I've been posting on (mostly music) message boards since the late 90s, and I've rarely seen the level of nastiness and "snark" exhibited on SF. A gentleman wouldn't say anything online that he wouldn't say face-to-face, and I highly doubt some of these posters are this rude IRL.

5. le Dauphin

le Dauphin Well-Known Member

I agree that there is the occasional stupid question thread, but let's face it: it's going to be repetitive. Is there anything that hasn't been discussed? This particular subforum is dedicated to "permanent style" which isn't exactly the most dynamic topic. New posters want to actually participate in discussion, not just read one that took place last year. If you're tired of that particular conversation, ignore it and post elsewhere.

I was hesitant to reply to this thread, given that I'm new as well, but I agree with what you've posted here. Without rehashing old threads from time to time, this forum would at some point become simply a database of information rather than a forum. No? [​IMG]

-Matt

6. dr.no

dr.no Senior member

New members are turning me off SF.

It seems that the default answer for many senior members is along the lines of "Why arent you paying/responding to my PMs about the item you said you would buy?"

FTFY

7. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Close entry to all new members, all in favour?

8. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

^ this.

People with little to no initiative, expected to be spoon-fed information about how to dress, what to dress, and blindly following the leader like mindless drones.

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

One of the most irritating thig about some new members is that they seek advice on various items (which a search would reveal in many cases) and then NEVER complete the enquiry by stating what they have done and why.

10. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

One of the most irritating thig about some new members is that they seek advice on various items (which a search would reveal in many cases) and then NEVER complete the enquiry by stating what they have done and why.

[​IMG]

11. dr.no

dr.no Senior member

Obviously no one is suggesting this, but I think the OP over-generalized the situation and failed to mention that there are reasons behind some of the "snarkiness" against new members.

12. kohelet

kohelet Senior member

^ this.

People with little to no initiative, expected to be spoon-fed information about how to dress, what to dress, and blindly following the leader like mindless drones.

"Drones are NOT mindless." - Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. [​IMG]

13. letmefly

letmefly Senior member

Actually, I came here because purseforum was too rough for me.

Tell me about it - those guys are straight shooters.

14. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Senior member

+1..

15. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

+1..
    They must submit a vial of their blood and rename their first born Brunello to join.

16. BeaconHillBoston

BeaconHillBoston Senior member

Some of you need to get over yourselves.

There is no law that says you have to click on threads from noobs.

Just don't click; not that hard [​IMG]

17. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

noobs are moving in on our good deals. Not to mention teh lurkerz.

18. Dunvegan

Dunvegan Well-Known Member

When I first came to this board, I was flamed and insulted, but quickly understood that:
    A) I was asking some Noob questions, and
    B) there are A-holes everywhere who think that a snarky comment is cooler than answering a question.

BUT...... for every snarky, flaming response, I've gotten 2-3 GREAT answers.

My advice to newbies: It's a freakin message board... there will ALWAYS be someone insulting you.

19. Butter

Butter Senior member

My advice to newbies: It's life... there will ALWAYS be someone insulting you.

FTFY.

20. Chrenetique

Chrenetique Senior member

Having read hundreds (maybe thousands?) of threads on SF, I never found people to be rude or nasty.

Rather, I found tons of useful information ; tons of useful pictures ; and when I had to ask, tons of useful answers delivered by gentlemen, for free.

And I didn't know much about style, 18 months ago.

It's hard to complain.