• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is striped pattern like this dated?

la_asie

Reaction score
It is extremely to find something in my size from a brand with quality. I found this Attolini suit (the modern one), but for some reason, I feel that the striped pattern is somewhat dated. Maybe it is just me... so would like to get some opinions from people here.

Thanks ahead!

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 2.08.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 2.24.55 AM.png

RapFan

Reaction score
I think this particular suit is timeless. Sometimes such stripes can look dated but it is not the case here

rwtc

Reaction score
If this is in 40R, then yes, this looks incredibly dated. I will gladly take this dated piece off your hands at 50% of what you paid for it.

/s

archipel

Reaction score
IMO it looks a bit dated but it also depends on the fit. If the fit is not dated it's okay. If the fit is wide and old-fashioned it's a no from me.

rwtc

Reaction score
IMO it looks a bit dated but it also depends on the fit. If the fit is not dated it's okay. If the fit is wide and old-fashioned it's a no from me.

If the fit is wide, then even better. I'll happily take this off your hands. ;)

On a serious note, this Attolini looks a bit off to me, because the chest pocket isn't in a barchetta style, and the pick stitching reminds me of Stile Latino more than anything. But the lapels & gorge doesn't look like SL. The sleeves aren't pattern matched as well. Hmm.......

Last edited:

la_asie

Reaction score
If the fit is wide, then even better. I'll happily take this off your hands. ;)

On a serious note, this Attolini looks a bit off to me, because the chest pocket isn't in a barchetta style, and the pick stitching reminds me of Stile Latino more than anything. But the lapels & gorge doesn't look like SL. The sleeves aren't pattern matched as well. Hmm.......
Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 2.23.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 2.24.49 AM.png

Here are pictures of the tags.

rwtc

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. Definitely real. It's a great piece, and I hope you'll enjoy.

Last edited:

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the suit fabric does not seem dated to me and is a beautiful pattern. However, and I may be in the minority now on issues like this but I don’t think the suit fabric is casual enough for patch pockets. This feels like a business suit to me and as such patch pockets are, I believe, still a little too casual. Not that many outside of sf would notice.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience it’s usually other details about the cut and construction of the jacket vs. the fabric which date it.

Unless, of course, we’re talking about those yellow “ABC Sports” blazers worn by Jim McKay.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a design/pattern not common nowadays but it was 50 years ago. The risk is there but if you like it, who cares?

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I know you really want to keep this suit, but keep in mind regardless of how others feel about the fabric, you must feel good about it for you to want to wear it and look good in it. Without looking at the jacket's design and cut, just by the fabric itself, to me it looks dated. I find the two-tone white/grey woven fabric and the pin striped pattern old fashioned. But it's this particular shade that says dated to me. I feel this shade isn't flattering and makes the wearer look old (60+). Again, how you feel about it is all that matters. Hope you'll make a decision you are happy with.

Last edited:

Krown

Reaction score
I think is fine, as long as you like the fabric.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing to keep in mind is that this fabric is rather distinct. Though I can’t say whether it’s dated,

It’s not the most versatile fabric; color or pattern. No doubt the quality is good, but how are you going to wear it? Is this your go to suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads