• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is sport coat/ suit "made by Loro Piana" good?

donnghia

Reaction score
Hi guys, we all know that Loro Piana provide top-end quality fabric, but I wonder how good is their in-house made jacket under their own labels?

Is the quality comparable to other hìgh-end Italian brands like Kiton, Attolini, Brioni, Isaia...?
many thanks !

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I visited the Via dei Condotti store, and tried on quite a few. It's all top of the food chain stuff...

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, we all know that Loro Piana provide top-end quality fabric, but I wonder how good is their in-house made jacket under their own labels?

Is the quality comparable to other hìgh-end Italian brands like Kiton, Attolini, Brioni, Isaia...?
many thanks !

top notch. Their tailored clothing is Neapolitan. Lots of hand stitching where you’d expect and want it at that price point.

Stilig

Reaction score
Most of their tailoring is machine-made and half-canvassed. It's made by Gabo Napoli. I've heard first hand from the owners of Gabo that they make about 80% of Loro Piana's tailoring.

The fabrics are excellent, but the construction is not close to the brands you listed.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a woman's jacket. But for $5,500, I was surprised to see the poor pattern matching, especially for a product shot

FAL3124_F1DF_ZOOM.jpg

Knurt

Reaction score
I have not been impressed when trying them on. I am without an eye for the construction element, but the whole garment has not felt as flexible as an Attolini, for example. I do have a relaxed cotton jacket-sweater that is rxcellent, though. But I guess that is to be expected.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen their MTM/Bespoke stuff made by Saint Andrews.

this thread reminded me of a story from the NY Times about James Murdoch. The piece mentions that he was wearing an LP SC for the interview:

10WITH-JAMESMURDOCH2-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That sport coat doesn't look very good on him. Personally think guys should focus more on aesthetics than quality.

If you're wondering if LP is any good, just put the coat on and see if you look good. Don't get lost in the mumbo jumbo about hand stitching, made in Italy, or whatever. The most important dimension of quality is going to be about whether the cut fits and flatters your frame, anyway.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sport coat doesn't look very good on him. Personally think guys should focus more on aesthetics than quality.

If you're wondering if LP is any good, just put the coat on and see if you look good. Don't get lost in the mumbo jumbo about hand stitching, made in Italy, or whatever. The most important dimension of quality is going to be about whether the cut fits and flatters your frame, anyway.

Yeah, I didn’t post it as an example of a good fit. Just something I remembered reading about.

I’ve noticed the RTW stuff is machine made, and skews toward soft tailoring. Similar to the Cucinelli aesthetic.

Looking at Murdoch’s pic above, at first I thought it was Boglioli, which is a better value IMO.

donnghia

Reaction score
Thank all of you for very useful information, It will help me to decide lot better !

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember handling some of their RTW sportcoats were made by Saint Andrews.

Which I would put just hair notch below Kiton or Cesare Attolini.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look very houndstooth to me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads