• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is shirt neck size affected by different cuts?

Specs

Reaction score
I think I ran across a similar thread a while ago but had trouble finding it again.

I recently tried on two shirts at a sample sale with a 15 neck size. One was an extra slim cut and one was a regular. The neck size was far too small on the extra slim cut and was loose on the regular. It seemed that the slim shirt was made slimmer by darting the front and back.

Should a neck size always be consistent or should I have to account for the type of shirt it is?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Specs
I think I ran across a similar thread a while ago but had trouble finding it again.

I recently tried on two shirts at a sample sale with a 15 neck size. One was an extra slim cut and one was a regular. The neck size was far too small on the extra slim cut and was loose on the regular. It seemed that the slim shirt was made slimmer by darting the front and back.

Should a neck size always be consistent or should I have to account for the type of shirt it is?

Don't assume that you will wear a 15" in every style/brand/etc.....It varies..as does the length!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Don't assume that you will wear a 15" in every style/brand/etc.....It varies..as does the length!

True, or maybe the regular cut one was stretched out by all the fat republicans trying it on.

Specs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413

The shirts I tried on were identical in every way except that one was darted to make it more fitted. I have always thought that a collar size is independent of the type of shirt. Meaning if it says 15" then I should be able to measure the collar to be 15" give or take maybe 1/4" at the very most.
These shirts varied by almost 1"

The sales rep said the collar fits different because they have to keep some sort of proportionality. However I feel that the collar should be labeled as it measures.

I'm really new to this so I just wanted to know if this is the norm? I would like to buy some shirts online and would like to know if I should be choosing slightly larger neck sizes if I am buying slimmer fitting shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads