• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is SF a School of Thought?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2007
Messages
2,761
Reaction score
653
One of our members recently put forth the intriguing proposition that Styleforvm constitutes a developing school of thought: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...8&postcount=32.


I think this is worth investigating. It also has me wondering what would constitute rival schools of thought on style and fashion. Is there a SportsCenter School, for instance, that endorses high gorged suit jackets, giant tie knots, and bold pocket squares? Is there a GQ/Esquire/Details School, or is the print industry no longer influential in these matters? Is AAAC a competitive school, or is there too much overlap in membership to discern a significant difference?

In summary, who or what are the most dominant style/fashion reference points these days, and where does SF fit into the big picture? How influential is the Forvm, do you think?
 

it's ok ma'

Active Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2010
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
How influential is the Forvm, do you think?

I can speak candidly as a new poster here but sometime lurker that the forum is influential to the extant it helps me find what I already vaguely know what I want. I know I want shirts that fit better off the rack but don't know about how to do this; this forum introduced me to the idea of MTM shirts. I wanted shoes that could be worn with suits and that weren't found at the mall, this forum helped me find out about the world of English shoes. Of course I am speaking as a regular plebeian guy, who didn't know about these things until I stumbled here. I don't know if this fully addresses your question.

For example, as a noob who admittedly doesn't know about dressing well, I probably would imitate all the looks I see here if money wasn't a problem. It would take me time to develop my own style and then stop merely being influenced, but ultimately this style would be somewhat linked to the old style I copied, so in some ways I guess there is a fundamental forum school of thought. However, just because there are trends and noticeable stylistic regularities, I do not think there is enough to say that this forum constitutes its own 'laws' of style
 

The Thin Man

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2009
Messages
558
Reaction score
74
 

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2008
Messages
2,492
Reaction score
94
Have you ever seen AAAC's Trad section?

Merry Christmas!
 

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2007
Messages
2,761
Reaction score
653
Originally Posted by it's ok ma'
I know I want shirts that fit better off the rack but don't know about how to do this; this forum introduced me to the idea of MTM shirts. I wanted shoes that could be worn with suits and that weren't found at the mall, this forum helped me find out about the world of English shoes.
Same here. I would add that before SF appeared -- even before the Internet was much of a going concern -- I got most of my style notions from books on the subject. SF has been much more helpful, though, because I can ask questions here and get clarification, something I can't do with the author of a book.

Originally Posted by it's ok ma'
For example, as a noob who admittedly doesn't know about dressing well, I probably would imitate all the looks I see here if money wasn't a problem.
And would you say that you rely more heavily on SF than on movies, TV, and/or style mags?

I went through a monochromatic phase once because it was popular on old cop shows like NYPD Blue. I recently heard on NPR that Madmen has changed American fashion even though only a tiny percentage of the population watches the show. Only a tiny percentage of the population frequents SF, too, I'd imagine, so I wonder how much of an impact it's having?
 

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2004
Messages
8,752
Reaction score
464
I don't think there is a "school of thought," but there is a definite "groupthink" shared by most active members (at least of MC). Among its salient characteristics would be:

Strong dislike of over-priced designer label goods.
Emphasis on value shopping and bargain hunting.
A preference for timeless style over fashion.
A certain rigidity and fondness for "rules" (many of which I have never seen in any book on men's style or otherwise heard of).
 

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
1,239
Reaction score
482
In a recent survey of top ranking SF (MC) senior members, Mens Clothing was a Mixture of Harvard, Oxford and University of Bologna.

Sadly it is now ranked as a Community College.
 

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2007
Messages
2,761
Reaction score
653
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I don't think there is a "school of thought," but there is a definite "groupthink"...
What would be the difference?

Originally Posted by JPHardy
In a recent survey of top ranking SF (MC) senior members, Mens Clothing was a Mixture of Harvard, Oxford and University of Bologna.

Sadly it is now ranked as a Community College.

Yeah, democracy often has that effect on aristocracy. And the Internet accelerates the process.
 

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
26,133
Reaction score
1,644
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I don't think there is a "school of thought," but there is a definite "groupthink" shared by most active members (at least of MC). Among its salient characteristics would be:

Strong dislike of over-priced designer label goods.
Emphasis on value shopping and bargain hunting.
A preference for timeless style over fashion.
A certain rigidity and fondness for "rules" (many of which I have never seen in any book on men's style or otherwise heard of).


SF is like bouddhism ...A way of thinking not a religion or a fixed ideology...

It is more a groupthink ,a convergence of sartorial do and don't.

JLibourel is absolutely spot on in his statements...

A dislike for designer overpriced crap , a deep respect for thimeless elegance a la Agnelli or Duke of Windsor and a fondness for wearing the right thing in the right environment..
 

HarleyBob

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
411
Reaction score
20
Sf is not a true school of thought in that it does not advance philosophy or social or cultural beliefs to the benefit of society. Sf however is a school of strong personal opinions, whereby posters with many posts rule. Their opinions are considered to be gospel and anyone who disagrees may be considered a heretic, or worse, an idiot.

SF can also be a school of blind obedience with very few who are willing to say the "emperor has no clothes." How else can you explain a post by a famous SF'er (one of the emperors) who wants to buy a green Hermes breast wallet drawing over 60 pages of responses? The topic of the thread does not deserve to draw that many posts, however because of the OP's status and his eloquence in writing and great recall, it appears that many respondents simply want to belong and believe that by being associated with the post and the OP, it will advance their status within the community. That particular thread has produced almost a mob mentality. That particular OP could say almost anything and hundreds would line up to follow. Very few individuals on this forum have the fortitude to challenge the elite. In a school of thought, thought is heavily debated and questioned. That doesn't often happen here.

I have a feeling that many on this forum spend more on clothing than we do on our transportation, housing and probably more than we put aside for savings. If true, that is a sad thing.

Having said all of that, I do appreciate the emperors' opinions and their experience when they weigh in on questions and issues of style. However, one must remember that what is said is simply personal opinion, based upon their experience and tastes, and it should be taken as such; something to consider and think about, but not blindly follow.

And that's my opinion.
 

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
19,746
Reaction score
8,203
School of thought? Not IMO

Dogma might be a better description, at least for MC
 

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2007
Messages
2,761
Reaction score
653
Originally Posted by HarleyBob
Sf is not a true school of thought in that it does not advance philosophy or social or cultural beliefs to the benefit of society.
Neither does Deconstructionism, and yet, there it is.


Originally Posted by HarleyBob
Sf however is a school of strong personal opinions, whereby posters with many posts rule. Their opinions are considered to be gospel and anyone who disagrees may be considered a heretic, or worse, an idiot.
Still not seein' how that's not a school of thought.

Originally Posted by HarleyBob
That particular OP could say almost anything and hundreds would line up to follow.
In fact, HB, the OP in question takes such regular beatings on these boards that his face has been made into a "smilie" for use in ritual mockings. He's a powerful force on SF, that's for sure, but not because everyone agrees with him. (For what it's worth, Foo, I hang on your every word.)

Originally Posted by HarleyBob
In a school of thought, thought is heavily debated and questioned. That doesn't often happen here.
You've obviously never seen one of our "black suits" threads.
 

in stitches

Kung Joo
Spamminator Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Oct 10, 2010
Messages
69,954
Reaction score
32,966
Originally Posted by HarleyBob
How else can you explain a post by a famous SF'er (one of the emperors) who wants to buy a green Hermes breast wallet drawing over 60 pages of responses? The topic of the thread does not deserve to draw that many posts, however because of the OP's status and his eloquence in writing and great recall, it appears that many respondents simply want to belong and believe that by being associated with the post and the OP, it will advance their status within the community. That particular thread has produced almost a mob mentality.

i think that you missed the point entirely and thats too bad
 

Wideknot

Senior Member
Joined
May 19, 2010
Messages
156
Reaction score
0
For there to be a "school of thought," shouldn't there be a recognized set of core values that define the school? If these could be articulated, you would go a long way towards answering the question. Without taking the time to review the thousands of posts and collate the various positions, I would suggest the following as a starting point:

1) Quality of product measured by materials and construction, not by design
2) The necessity of the jacket
3) Proper fit defined as close to the body yet allowing freedom of movement
4) A continuation of traditional forms without exact replication of them

I'm sure there are many more.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,055
Messages
9,191,217
Members
193,034
Latest member
MisterPowell

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top