• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Saks 5th Ave better than Neiman Marcus?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The NYC Saks is a shadow of its former self. BG is so much better, I hardly ever go into Saks any more.

I believe Neimans owns BG.

cwh812

Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
I like NM better, but they only takes stupid AM which is the most marsupialed thing ever so I pay in cash.

What? NM only takes Amex? Is this the same for BG? I can honestly say I don't think I've ever bought anything at a NM as I have never lived in a town that has one (I've only lived in small towns, a college town and NYC).

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BG takes everything. Most NM only take amex tho...

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
In my experience with the DC-area NM and Saks, it is impossible to say which one is "better," as they aim for different demographics and carry different lines. NM caters to the moneyed 30-40 something crowd, with a strong dress clothing collection and a pedestrian sportswear collection. Saks targets upwardly mobile 20-30 year olds, carrying a lot of designer sportswear and nice, but not superlative, dress clothing.
DC is unusual in that there are two Saks and NMs within a short driving distance on the Beltway from each other. Which one is 'better' is relative, but IMHO, the Tyson's Neiman Marcus blows the Mazza one out of the water, whereas, the Mazza Saks Men's store blows the selection at the Tysons Saks away. Regardless - only a few hours away is BG which blows away everyone.

Material Boy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cwh812
What? NM only takes Amex? Is this the same for BG? I can honestly say I don't think I've ever bought anything at a NM as I have never lived in a town that has one (I've only lived in small towns, a college town and NYC).

Las Vegas NM is the only exception. That store will take payment in Visa or Master Card.

NM/BG are much better than Saks. In fact, I think South Coast Bloomingdales is better than the Saks in the same mall.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where I grew up, in the DC metro area, Neimans was much more interesting than Saks, which seemed to have an obsession with Hugo Boss, Zegna, and Sanyo raincoats.

The Saks in NYC is obviously an improvement, but I still don't feel the desire to go in there much. The salespeople on the men's tailored clothing floor are terrible; but then I seem to think that about a lot of places.

Bergdorf is just a few blocks away.

EdenResident

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elgreco
DC is unusual in that there are two Saks and NMs within a short driving distance on the Beltway from each other. Which one is 'better' is relative, but IMHO, the Tyson's Neiman Marcus blows the Mazza one out of the water, whereas, the Mazza Saks Men's store blows the selection at the Tysons Saks away.

Regardles - only a few hours away is BG which blows away everyone.

The Saks at Tysons is the worst "upscale" store I've even been to. It seems like it caters to the fat 40+ year old men. I literally see nothing there I can wear, even at full retail. The smallest size they carry is like medium and size 34 for pants.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoXwarriorprincess
Barneys and Bergdorf are both much better.

Jeffrey too.

Oh I love jeffrey! They always get stuff in that you cant find anywhere else. Not a huge fan of the layout though

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Material Boy
Las Vegas NM is the only exception. That store will take payment in Visa or Master Card.

NM/BG are much better than Saks. In fact, I think South Coast Bloomingdales is better than the Saks in the same mall.

i think both saks and bloomingdales at south coast are terrible. after they remodeled a yr ago or so ago, they turned the place into a giant night club. everything is black, white, and grey -- including the clothes. the only menswear they carry seems to come from theory, armani, boss, and a lot of expensive hollywood DB-style wear.

the bloomingdales is only slightly better...

i like the nordstroms much better even though its typically considered one notch down from those other two.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The Saks in NYC is obviously an improvement, but I still don't feel the desire to go in there much. The salespeople on the men's tailored clothing floor are terrible; but then I seem to think that about a lot of places.

I've had great service at both my local Saks and the NYC store. I generally consider it their strong suit. My Neiman, on the other hand, has several incredibly snobby guys working in tailored clothing who can't be bothered to give the customers the time of day. Odd, considering the shoe department in the same store is exceptional.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
I enjoyed my time at the Saks in NYC. The staff was very friendly and the markdowns at the time (Jan08) were quite good. I've also found the NM location in Vegas to be very good on the service, perhaps due to their proximity to the strip. Never been to the BG in NYC yet, probably later this summer.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Oh I love jeffrey! They always get stuff in that you cant find anywhere else. Not a huge fan of the layout though

Wasn't that the one place in town you could cop a Prada jetpack?

chl

Reaction score
BG better by far, than MN or Saks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads