1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is Saks 5th Ave better than Neiman Marcus?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheApple, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I like the NM end of the Galleria. Some nice shops there. NM carries Lobb and Saks doesn't [​IMG]

Apparently Kent Poole at NM will get you stuff they don't carry since I saw a guy buy some Lucchese Classic cowboy boots a month ago from him.

Did you go to the Lobb trunk show this past weekend? They had the whole 2009 collection including the 2009 winter collection. Some of the 2009 items are getting ridiculously expensive reaching $1900+ for prestige shoes.

2. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

SD: NM > Saks ... but I don't have an Amex so NM usually isn't my place.

If I'm in NYC and specifically in a dept. store it will either be BG or Barneys.

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i think Neiman is a lot more consistent. at least in my neck of the woods. for example, every one of the NM by me carries Isaia, Brioni, Stefano Ricci, Hermes, and other top-of-the-heap brands. they are really hit-or-miss with shoes though, which is what frustrates me the most because i tend to look at those the most.

Saks doesn't seem to make an effort unless it's on Worth Avenue or in Bal Harbour. Bal Harbour has a very nice Kiton and LV area, and Worth just remodeled their men's store to feature a great Cucinelli display and Edward Green. all the other Saks? bleh...

4. Jacksdad

Jacksdad Senior member

I hate the fact that Neimans puts a special label on their clothing; i.e. Borrelli for NM and they charge more for it than the same shirt at Saks. They may have more exclusive stuff, but I will 9 times out of 10 shop Saks because of the price difference.

5. Dranakin

Dranakin Well-Known Member

In SF, I actually like the Saks Men's (separate) store better than the NM Men's floor.

6. contaygious

contaygious Senior member

I like NM better, but they only takes stupid AM which is the most retarded thing ever so I pay in cash.

7. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

I hate the fact that Neimans puts a special label on their clothing; i.e. Borrelli for NM and they charge more for it than the same shirt at Saks. They may have more exclusive stuff, but I will 9 times out of 10 shop Saks because of the price difference.

Its not the same.

8. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

^ yeah, it's ridiculous how quiet the store is on a relatively busy day.

well saks does get A LOT more people than BG does, plus bergdorfs is mens only so that cuts out a lot of the rif raf.

9. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

I prefer BG to Saks, but IMO BG could be much better. They devote so much space to brands that basically have boutiques within walking distance, so it is really only one stop shopping for people that don't have the time/inclination to go to the boutiques. They should focus on building a house label, or at least move away from the big name brands. Just my $.02 if someone from BG is reading.

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

In my experience with the DC-area NM and Saks, it is impossible to say which one is "better," as they aim for different demographics and carry different lines. NM caters to the moneyed 30-40 something crowd, with a strong dress clothing collection and a pedestrian sportswear collection. Saks targets upwardly mobile 20-30 year olds, carrying a lot of designer sportswear and nice, but not superlative, dress clothing.

11. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

The NYC Saks is a shadow of its former self. BG is so much better, I hardly ever go into Saks any more.

I believe Neimans owns BG.

12. cwh812

cwh812 Senior member

I like NM better, but they only takes stupid AM which is the most retarded thing ever so I pay in cash.

What? NM only takes Amex? Is this the same for BG? I can honestly say I don't think I've ever bought anything at a NM as I have never lived in a town that has one (I've only lived in small towns, a college town and NYC).

13. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

BG takes everything. Most NM only take amex tho...

14. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

In my experience with the DC-area NM and Saks, it is impossible to say which one is "better," as they aim for different demographics and carry different lines. NM caters to the moneyed 30-40 something crowd, with a strong dress clothing collection and a pedestrian sportswear collection. Saks targets upwardly mobile 20-30 year olds, carrying a lot of designer sportswear and nice, but not superlative, dress clothing.
    DC is unusual in that there are two Saks and NMs within a short driving distance on the Beltway from each other. Which one is 'better' is relative, but IMHO, the Tyson's Neiman Marcus blows the Mazza one out of the water, whereas, the Mazza Saks Men's store blows the selection at the Tysons Saks away. Regardless - only a few hours away is BG which blows away everyone.

15. Material Boy

Material Boy Senior member

What? NM only takes Amex? Is this the same for BG? I can honestly say I don't think I've ever bought anything at a NM as I have never lived in a town that has one (I've only lived in small towns, a college town and NYC).

Las Vegas NM is the only exception. That store will take payment in Visa or Master Card.

NM/BG are much better than Saks. In fact, I think South Coast Bloomingdales is better than the Saks in the same mall.

16. XenoXwarriorprincess

XenoXwarriorprincess Well-Known Member

Barneys and Bergdorf are both much better.

Jeffrey too.

17. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Where I grew up, in the DC metro area, Neimans was much more interesting than Saks, which seemed to have an obsession with Hugo Boss, Zegna, and Sanyo raincoats.

The Saks in NYC is obviously an improvement, but I still don't feel the desire to go in there much. The salespeople on the men's tailored clothing floor are terrible; but then I seem to think that about a lot of places.

Bergdorf is just a few blocks away.

18. EdenResident

EdenResident Senior member

DC is unusual in that there are two Saks and NMs within a short driving distance on the Beltway from each other. Which one is 'better' is relative, but IMHO, the Tyson's Neiman Marcus blows the Mazza one out of the water, whereas, the Mazza Saks Men's store blows the selection at the Tysons Saks away.

Regardles - only a few hours away is BG which blows away everyone.

The Saks at Tysons is the worst "upscale" store I've even been to. It seems like it caters to the fat 40+ year old men. I literally see nothing there I can wear, even at full retail. The smallest size they carry is like medium and size 34 for pants.

19. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

20. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

Barneys and Bergdorf are both much better.

Jeffrey too.

Oh I love jeffrey! They always get stuff in that you cant find anywhere else. Not a huge fan of the layout though