Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is RLBL going downhill?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by othertravel, May 18, 2011.

1. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Have RLBL suits maintained the same quality over the past few years?

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ive never been impressed with RLBL, TBH.

3. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I think the RLBL love on here is a little overshot. People are buying used RLBL suits for $650 [​IMG] . I have a couple sport coats myself, but they're definitely overrated here.

4. othertravel

They do have a reputable manufacturer (Caruso) but I'm curious if there has been a drop off in quality.

I sold a couple of RLBL suits recently, and they were beautiful, but I'm just curious about the current season.

5. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

I've tried on some of their stuff in store...the fit and construction is still pretty great compared to other things at that price level. If you have a nice big drop, RLBL looks like a million bucks.

6. chet

chet Member

I've tried on some of their stuff in store...the fit and construction is still pretty great compared to other things at that price level. If you have a nice big drop, RLBL looks like a million bucks.

New here. Nice big drop?

7. rsuhandy

rsuhandy Senior member

Drop in quality....maybe just slightly...but that's just my gut feeling.
    I think they are terribly over-loved here on SF. Certainly could do better
    for the prices that people are paying for RLBL.

8. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

New here. Nice big drop?

A big number difference from chest to waist. A big drop would be maybe 7+ inches.

9. othertravel

Has RLPL changed since Caruso took over from St. Andrews?

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Part of the reasoning behind the love here for RLBL revolves around the price, fit, and reasonable quality. The quality is decent enough to meet SF approval (mostly fully canvassed), and the price make it worthwhile. Compare RLBL with other suits at the same price point, RLBL blows most the competition apart. Sure if you are willing to spend $3K plus, you will find better quality suits than RLBL - but reality is RLBL = mid range suit masquerading as an upper range OTR suit. Bottom of the top is better than top of the bottom if that makes sense [​IMG]

11. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

I have a range of jackets from different years made of wool and cotton and I find no difference between their construction quality.

12. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

A big number difference from chest to waist. A big drop would be maybe 7+ inches.

8+.

13. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

I have 5 Suits purchased in the last 2-3 years - costing between $600 - $800 (new) and they fit me straight off the rack, with only Cuffs being required. IMHO this equates to decent value.
    On the other hand I have some St Andrews S Coats / Suits & love them.
    I wore for the first time yesterday, a Beige Silk RLPL (Caruso) Suit purchased last year and i hate it. This no reflection on Caruso, but rather a shitty decision on my part, to buy a Silk Suit. It is going to stain like a Mother (oils from hands etc) and wrinkles something shocking...

14. othertravel

RLBL's strength is its cut, construction and durability. They last a long time if used gently, making it a great investment. Some other designers, while they construct nice suits, use fabrics that just don't last.

15. Patek

Patek Senior member

I only have one RLBL (navy DB) that I purchased on here for $400 NWT. Best $400 suit I ever purchased... only $400 suit that I ever purchased. Very lightweight and delicate. I had had a few issues with its durability and I probably won't purchase another. I have been much happier buying BB GF Regent suits on sale--both are full canvas but the BB has more handiwork and better materials IMO.