• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is RIM done for?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
We still on pg3 quit being a noob 40ppp ftw !

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6 pgs later and the answer is still "yes".

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think what BB should do (and they won't) is to get out of the handset hardware business altogether and just provide super secure email and document services for enterprise solutions. Ex: an email app for Android, iOS, MS Mobile, etc... that goes through their secure servers just like BB Mail.

Also they could have an app that does what dropbox does, but using BB's secure / encryption servers. And since it's enterprise, they can charge $$$ for their services.

Also:

http://www.gsmarena.com/leaked_rim_roadmap_reveals_a_really_boring_2012-news-3731.php

Leaked RIM roadmap reveals a really boring 2012

A recently leaked RIM roadmap reveals all the upcoming BlackBerries for 2012. Unfortunately there is nothing really interesting scheduled before November this year.

:facepalm:

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Swype really mitigated the physical keyboard factor for me. Really don't miss it at all, especially at the cost of a much thicker phone or a much smaller screen.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

variety :
1 iphone, different storage capabilities , re-realsed model with S branding
more than 1 model blackberry , all have slots for expanding storage :D
battery :
Battery & Battery Life
1230 mAh removable/rechargeable lithium-ion battery
BlackBerry Bold 9930
CDMA Talk Time: up to 6.6 hours
CDMA Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
GSM Talk Time: up to 6.3 hours
GSM Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
UMTS Talk Time: up to 5.9 hours
UMTS Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
Audio Playback Time: up to 50 hours
Video Playback Time: up to 7.4 hours
BlackBerry Bold 9900
GSM Talk Time: up to 6.3 hours
GSM Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
UMTS Talk Time: up to 5.9 hours
UMTS Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
Audio Playback Time: up to 50 hours
Video Playback Time: up to 7.4 hours
Carrier Networks
BlackBerry Bold 9930
Dual-Band: 800 / 1900 MHz CDMA/EVDO Rev A networks
Quad-Band: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz GSM/
GPRS/EDGE networks
Dual-Band: 2100 / 900 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks
HSDPA : 14.4 Mbps
HSUPA : 5.76 Mbps
BlackBerry Bold 9900
UMTS: 2100/1900/850/800 MHz or 2100/1700/900 MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900
HSDPA: 14.4 Mbps
HSUPA: 5.76 Mbps
Near Field Communication
Operating Modes: accessory pairing and smart tag reading/writing
BB is winnar !
so if you want a toy go iphone if you want a functional secure phone with touchscreen adn keyboard 9930 it is
not sure how prevalent it is but is companies are still giving bb to employees there's still a huge biniss market so won't go under.

I'm not a big app user but the combination of a touchscreen w. a great keyboard makes the BB whatever I am using a great choice.

onthemove

Reaction score

Swype really mitigated the physical keyboard factor for me. Really don't miss it at all, especially at the cost of a much thicker phone or a much smaller screen.

Yeah I converted from a Blackberry to the original Droid with slideout keyboard. After Swype, never used the keyboard again. Wish I had a lighter phone now.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just when I think I'm out, the news media pulls me back in:

http://www.slashgear.com/blackberry-squeezed-out-of-enterprise-say-stats-30211227/

BlackBerry squeezed out of Enterprise say stats

RIM‘s new CEO faces a dual-challenge, Apple in North America and the ascendence of Samsung in Europe, according new research, though BlackBerry is a surprise hold-out in the UK. “Android and Apple together are eating BlackBerry’s lunch” Forrester Research analyst Frank Gillett said of the smartphone pincer-movement, the NYTimes reports, with global stats indicating 27-percent of smartphone users have an Android device and 24-percent an iPhone. BlackBerry slots in-between, at 26-percent, but enterprise users are progressively looking elsewhere from previous business darlings RIM.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not a big app user but the combination of a touchscreen w. a great keyboard makes the BB whatever I am using a great choice.

Same here. I have the Bold 9900 and prefer this over the Android. I'm not a big app user so the limited app thing for BB doesn't bother me.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been a BB user for years (since '03), ever since I ditched my Palm so I wouldn't have to carry two devices. All I use it (currently a 9700) for is e-mail, phone, and contacts; rarely texting or BBM. Even more rarely the browser, which I think sucks.

I have a Playbook too, which I use mainly as a wifi browser (though occasionally "bridged" through my handset if I am, say, on the sidelines of one of my son's practices or something) and as an e-reader (Kobo app). I actually like the browser.

My wife is probably going to get an iPad in the next month or so, which will be the first Apple device to enter the sanctity of our home -- I guess I will have a better idea of what the fuss is all about when I get a chance to try it out.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely take a BB over Android. iPhone is reasonably nice, and the eco-system of accessories is just ridiculous (as in when you rent a car, you may get an iPhone plug-in but you will rarely get anything else, even in Ford Sync cars).

So far, I haven't tried any of the cases with external keyboards, but I have been thinking about one since it would really be the best, when you are out for the night, ditch the case and just have the touchscreen, but during the day, have access to a keyboard.

The only phone that would possibly get me to defect are the new WM7 phones, but they are just too late to the game to gain traction right now and my firm doesn't support them.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd definitely take a BB over Android. iPhone is reasonably nice, and the eco-system of accessories is just ridiculous (as in when you rent a car, you may get an iPhone plug-in but you will rarely get anything else, even in Ford Sync cars).
So far, I haven't tried any of the cases with external keyboards, but I have been thinking about one since it would really be the best, when you are out for the night, ditch the case and just have the touchscreen, but during the day, have access to a keyboard.
The only phone that would possibly get me to defect are the new WM7 phones, but they are just too late to the game to gain traction right now and my firm doesn't support them.

In what way? Email? :confused:

g-banger

Reaction score

Just when I think I'm out, the news media pulls me back in:
http://www.slashgear.com/blackberry-squeezed-out-of-enterprise-say-stats-30211227/
BlackBerry squeezed out of Enterprise say stats
RIM‘s new CEO faces a dual-challenge, Apple in North America and the ascendence of Samsung in Europe, according new research, though BlackBerry is a surprise hold-out in the UK. “Android and Apple together are eating BlackBerry’s lunch” Forrester Research analyst Frank Gillett said of the smartphone pincer-movement, the NYTimes reports, with global stats indicating 27-percent of smartphone users have an Android device and 24-percent an iPhone. BlackBerry slots in-between, at 26-percent, but enterprise users are progressively looking elsewhere from previous business darlings RIM.

C-levels want the Apple products (such as CIO's) which push the enterprise to move to those devices.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/28/forrester-apple-makes-strides-into-businesses-users-iwork-hard/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads