• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is RIM done for?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd be surprised if RIM is really more secure than modern secure email protocols which are constantly scrutinized and patched.

Apparently, thats really their bread and butter. Supposedly, they may be licensing out/building the security for other companies.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
crackberry had talk of samsung buying rim :eh:

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been using Blackberrys since the mid-2000s and I still love them.
Just upgraded to the new 9930 and it is, by far, the best device Blackberry has ever made. Unfortunately, I think it came too late. I am thrilled with the device but so many around me wonder what I am thinking having stayed with BB. There are also very few apps. Effectively, both consumers and app developers have abandoned the platform (truly a chicken & egg problem).
Everyone around me has iPhones and Droids. They are great as portable laptops (media, apps, browsing, games) but they are not good phones or email devices. Typing is too difficult, there are too many screens to flip through until you get to the phone. I don't know a single ex-BB user who now uses iPhones and Droids who won't readily admit that phone and typing are better on the Blackberry. They are simply compromising because they like the "toy" aspects of these other devices.
Hopefully someone will buy RIM and turn around the Company.

i went from bb to android and i miss my bb keyboard. small price to pay though

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Email platform, best security and hardware

For the most part, no.

Email:

While yes, BB is the only OS that has native push capability that does not require a third party app for all email servers, iOS, Android, etc.. all have partial native support for push email using their own email software-app or there are 3rd party apps that easily install push... considering that you can get push email on every major mobile OS platform, it's a tie.

Best security:

In terms of email security, BB's Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) and Triple Data Encryption Standard (Triple DES) are far better when it comes to encrypted security than what anybody else offers.

Win: BB.

Hardware:

Not even close, not by a long shot. There is a lot of handsets out there, so lets compare the one most talked about on this thread: the iPhone vs the closest equivalent from BB: the Torch 9850 (Verizon: BlackBerry Volt):

iPhone has an aluminum exoskeleton body with dual antennas sandwiched by two pieces of Gorilla glass.
BB has, as far as I can gather (correct me if my info is incorrect), a plastic body surrounded by a metal bezel.

iPhone has a 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi display
BB has a 480 x 800 pixels (~252 ppi pixel density) display

iPhone has a 8 MP camera that can record full 1080p
BB has a 5 MP that can record 720p

iPhone has a max memory capacity of 64 GB
BB has a max memory capacity of 32 GB

Win: iPhone.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apparently, thats really their bread and butter. Supposedly, they may be licensing out/building the security for other companies.

You could always use a mix of IMAP idle and Kerberos encryption to get there.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
variety :

1 iphone, different storage capabilities , re-realsed model with S branding

more than 1 model blackberry , all have slots for expanding storage :D

battery :

Battery & Battery Life
1230 mAh removable/rechargeable lithium-ion battery
BlackBerry Bold 9930
CDMA Talk Time: up to 6.6 hours
CDMA Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
GSM Talk Time: up to 6.3 hours
GSM Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
UMTS Talk Time: up to 5.9 hours
UMTS Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
Audio Playback Time: up to 50 hours
Video Playback Time: up to 7.4 hours
BlackBerry Bold 9900
GSM Talk Time: up to 6.3 hours
GSM Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
UMTS Talk Time: up to 5.9 hours
UMTS Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
Audio Playback Time: up to 50 hours
Video Playback Time: up to 7.4 hours

Carrier Networks
BlackBerry Bold 9930
Dual-Band: 800 / 1900 MHz CDMA/EVDO Rev A networks
Quad-Band: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz GSM/
GPRS/EDGE networks
Dual-Band: 2100 / 900 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks
HSDPA : 14.4 Mbps
HSUPA : 5.76 Mbps
BlackBerry Bold 9900
UMTS: 2100/1900/850/800 MHz or 2100/1700/900 MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900
HSDPA: 14.4 Mbps
HSUPA: 5.76 Mbps

Near Field Communication
Operating Modes: accessory pairing and smart tag reading/writing

BB is winnar !

so if you want a toy go iphone if you want a functional secure phone with touchscreen adn keyboard 9930 it is

not sure how prevalent it is but is companies are still giving bb to employees there's still a huge biniss market so won't go under.

Last edited:

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shah, IDK what the point of your post was. I compared two comparable phones that go head to head. And when I wrote max memory, that includes the max you can expand the BB to is 32 GB, or half of what iPhone is capable of.

Calling the iPhone a 'toy' without actually making a counter-statement based on tech specs is disingenuous.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
this is your thread about bb if you wan't i can write something about why iphone is still garbage. not saying bb is any better, but i like the keyboard and the fact that i can use it anywhere in the world and carry extra battery if need be and have extra memory cards so not really limited t 32gb and i don't really use it for media anyway so i don't need more than 4gb because it's a phone/email device not a toy to keep myself entertained with until the next iteration is released with same specs but 2 more megapixels in the camera and an exclusive addition to software that's just voice recognition repackaged ...

can you use your device anywhere in the world ? can you use it with different carriers out of the box ? can you use all features of bluetooth ? can you use it as usb storage out of the box ? can you use it with any (unlimited) number of computers running different operating systems without having to use proprietary software to upload songs ? can you transfer songs off device using that proprietary software ? can you use any usb (mini or micro) to connect it ? can you replace battery / carry spare ? can you carry multiple storage cards in case memory fills ? can you get something not located on a tightly-controlled server without going through the trouble of risking your device in trying to hack it and open up ?

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is, RIM is trying to appeal to the retail consumer from a base of corporate consumers. If RIM just wanted to focus purely on their corporate smartphones business they could do very well, but they've expanded outside their area of core competence without first mover advantage and have paid the price.

While their phones are still quality products, the lack of third party support and mass market appeal has doomed it as a firm.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

The problem is, RIM is trying to appeal to the retail consumer from a base of corporate consumers. If RIM just wanted to focus purely on their corporate smartphones business they could do very well, but they've expanded outside their area of core competence without first mover advantage and have paid the price.

While their phones are still quality products, the lack of third party support and mass market appeal has doomed it as a firm.

yup trying to get a market riddled with ADHD is not good when your product is the equivalent of a pager in comparison

blairh

Reaction score

......... so not really limited t 32gb and i don't really use it for media anyway so i don't need more than 4gb because it's a phone/email device not a toy.......

Only children use their smartphones to listen to music and use apps. Derp derp derp derp derp.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

this is your thread about bb if you wan't i can write something about why iphone is still garbage.

Not sure what this means...? I never stated that the iPhone is perfect, far from it.

not saying bb is any better, but i like the keyboard and the fact that i can use it anywhere in the world and carry extra battery if need be and have extra memory cards so not really limited t 32gb and i don't really use it for media anyway so i don't need more than 4gb because it's a phone/email device not a toy to keep myself entertained with until the next iteration is released with same specs but 2 more megapixels in the camera and an exclusive addition to software that's just voice recognition repackaged ...

Who gives a **** what you personally like? Or what I personally like? What matters is comparison of specs, period, and not your (or anyone else's subjective personal needs).

You can keep calling the iPhone a toy (and I assume that if I bring up the Droid Razr, you'll call it a toy too), but you are just using empty words.

he fact that I have to answer the following tells me that you don't have a solid grasp of what we are discussing:

can you use your device anywhere in the world ?

Yes... it's quad-band, just like every other high-end smartphone that uses GSM.

can you use it with different carriers out of the box ?

Yes, if you buy an unlocked version, depending on GSM or CDMA, or if it's locked, you have to use it with a specific carrier, EXACTLY like every other phone purchased through carriers in the US.

can you use all features of bluetooth ?

IDK what 'all features' means, but yes.

can you use it as usb storage out of the box ?

Again, not sure what this refers to.

can you use it with any (unlimited) number of computers running different operating systems without having to use proprietary software to upload songs ? can you transfer songs off device using that proprietary software ?

Nope, closed system. Can you access BB email without having to go through BB's servers? Nope. Why? Closed system.

can you use any usb (mini or micro) to connect it ?

No, and...?

can you replace battery / carry spare ?

No, it's def a drawback of the iPhone.

can you carry multiple storage cards in case memory fills ?

No, instead we have the iCloud so you don't have to carry anything extra.

can you get something not located on a tightly-controlled server without going through the trouble of risking your device in trying to hack it and open up ?

Not sure what you mean... dropbox (and lots of other 3rd party apps) let you store things on the phone and none of the items have to go through Apple...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads