Is raw denim pre-shrunk, or shrink to fit, or what

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by j, May 9, 2005.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I'm planning to pick up some "good" jeans in Japan, and I am a little unclear on something. If a pair of jeans is unwashed, is it expected to shrink considerably upon washing? If I buy a pair that fit properly when new and then wash them (I will wash them, I'm not as committed as some of you) will they shrink a lot? Is "raw" and "unwashed" denim the same thing?

Assuming I pick up a pair that has no tell-tale puckering at the seams to indicate that it's been washed, should I assume they will shrink?

Am I making any sense at all?

thanks.

2. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Depending on whether the raw jeans is sanforized.  If it is, shrinkage is minimal, so buy your size (maybe 2 inches longer in the inseam, or buy the correct inseam and stretch it after washing while damp).  If it isn't sanforized, then it WILL ABSOLUTELY SHRINK... about 2 inches in the waist.  I noticed that you will be heading for Denime... their jeans are unsanforized and from my experience, buy the jeans 2 inches larger on the waist, and about 3 to 4 inches longer in the inseam.

edit: I think (check with LA Guy/Brian SD/RingRing) that "raw" and "unwashed" denim are the same.

3. Oltmann

Oltmann Senior member

Most non sanforized jeans will come with a 36"+ inseam to allow for shrinkage.

That is one way to tell.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Yep, raw and unwashed means the same thing. Rigid, raw, unwashed, dry...

You will usually have to 1) know before hand or 2) ask the employees if the jeans are sanforized or not. Generally, 501-style jeans are not sanforized. I don't know if any Denime jeans at all are sanforized. I don't think they are.