• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Ralph Lauren too informal for work?

jwcarter

Reaction score
I've just received 4 ralph lauren oxford shirts for my birthday. 2 are striped (white/blue, white/pink) while the other two are solid, light blue and white.
They all have multicolored pony logo

Is this too informal to wear to an office job? I am starting an internship at a bank soon and I was wondering whether the logo on the shirt was okay or whether it made it casual?

Thanks guys

likeitaloud

Reaction score
I say absolutely not. If you work in a place where RL is informal...well you better be payed VERY well. And for an internship I think RL should be a step up for most people.

jwcarter

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply

I just thought having a logo on the shirt would make it a bit informal.

dopamine

Reaction score
If it is an internship at the kind of bank I'm thinking of (eg. Goldman, etc.), since I go to Wharton, I've had the impression that that would be too informal for anything other than casual fridays, unless paired with a blazer. It really depends on the shirt.

aleeboy

Reaction score
so long as you wear it with a suitable tie and have proper dress pants and jacket.

Also depends on how thick the stripes are? I work for a conservative bank and wear Polo to work, just not the kinds where they have a thick coloured stripe on white. More solids.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwcarter
I've just received 4 ralph lauren oxford shirts for my birthday. 2 are striped (white/blue, white/pink) while the other two are solid, light blue and white.
They all have multicolored pony logo

Is this too informal to wear to an office job? I am starting an internship at a bank soon and I was wondering whether the logo on the shirt was okay or whether it made it casual?

Thanks guys

Logos are IMO some kind of cheap and are IMO not stylish at all. Sorry.

If you are young and new to business probably it is not that important and will be accepted. But to style means good fit, the right colors and the proportion of all. Any logo will disturb style (again IMO).

clubbyjones

Reaction score
RL could be informal if its casual. If the shirt is dress, should be legit-

dopamine

Reaction score
Any chance we could get pic of the shirts? One of my professors here wears a Polo-logoed dress shirt when he teachers, usually with a plain white collar and solid blue body. He pairs that with a nice tie, a navy blazer, grey or khaki slacks, brown oxfords, and steel-rimmed round spectacles, and he definitely looks the part of a well-dress college professor. Again, it's all about what they look like and how you wear them.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean, is it just a small 1/2 cm horse logo on the chest? Can't see how it is informal especially since it is covered by the jacket or the sportscoat, presumably you are wearing one.

mdg137

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
Logos are IMO some kind of cheap and are IMO not stylish at all. Sorry.

If you are young and new to business probably it is not that important and will be accepted. But to style means good fit, the right colors and the proportion of all. Any logo will disturb style (again IMO).

+1

I went into the Ralph Lauren store yesterday to see what I could pick up with the black label sale going on.

I looked at a few button downs, that would have been 45% off, and just could not bring myself to purchase them because of the polo logo.

That said, it is more of a personal thing than a general propriety thing-- many of my colleagues wear them happily, and are completely accepted-- I dont see any stigma.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They will be fine, given the existing climate of business dress. While I would not wear a shirt with a logo on it to work, 90% of the men I work with do, so you will not look out of place.

element02

Reaction score
I've been in banking for many years and as long as you're not directly interacting with clients/customers, this is pretty much the standard shirting along with short sleeved polos during the summer months.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
They will be fine, given the existing climate of business dress. While I would not wear a shirt with a logo on it to work, 90% of the men I work with do, so you will not look out of place.

Same at my workplace (a telecom) although this affliction seems to have thankfully toned down recently.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwcarter
I've just received 4 ralph lauren oxford shirts for my birthday. 2 are striped (white/blue, white/pink) while the other two are solid, light blue and white. They all have multicolored pony logo Is this too informal to wear to an office job? I am starting an internship at a bank soon and I was wondering whether the logo on the shirt was okay or whether it made it casual? Thanks guys
It is way too informal for the bank I interned at , but then again my boss was a 4 Star Retired General. I am assuming that "intern" means in one of the divisions and not as a teller. I did see other people wearing them but I also heard the higher ups poke fun at those people. You don't need anything fancy a simple white or blue shirt that fits you well and is properly laundered and a simple tie and suit will get you way ahead of all the weird costumes other interns will try to float.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics