• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Ralph Lauren too informal for work?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Internship at an I-Bank = you can wear it on Fridays. I would stick to suits during the weekdays. If I recall from my banking internship, come in with a suit and take off the jacket during work was par for the course (keep tie on). The pony logo may seem a little funny worn in conjunction with a tie.

Then again, it probably doesn't matter at all.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all about dressing the part, you have to dress to fit the environment and within the spectrum of what is considered appropriate or expected for your role there. You haven't given us any information about any of that.

If you don't know what people who do what you do should be wearing, is it possible to pop in to say hi before your job starts so you can take a look? Wear a suit or sports jacket when you do that, and if people make fun of you for being over dressed, tell them that you just came from court or a funeral or something.

Also, sometimes places cut the interns some slack and tell them to dress more casually than the associates or analysts are expected to. I'd tend to dress more like the junior people who have permanent jobs there than the interns if given a choice.

Generally speaking I think the logo is stylistically pretty tacky for a workplace but that's just MHO.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably doesn't matter but I wouldn't. Depends on the bank and the group of course. I would err on the side of being overdressed and once you get a feel for how people dress you can adjust. My group is super casual for an I-Bank but on other floors I know they wear suits on a daily basis.

FWIW we had an intern wear a bowtie on the first day ... he became known as the bowtie guy even in our offices in other cities. Don't be that guy.

jwcarter

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice.

I want to put these shirts to good use but don't want to be known as the douche who wears RL in the bunch of interns at the bank

But I feel like even more of a douche to wear these casually.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads