• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is pink shirt for a semi-formal dinner?

kovalchuk71

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a long time lurker, and finally joined. Looking for some help with my outfit for a semi-formal (no suit) dinner. I own a navy suit and wanted to wear a pink shirt with possibly a purple/navy tie or some similar combo. Is the pink and purple too loud for a dinner/afterparty? I wanted to do something like these two. If anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to let me know. I'm trying to stick out with out looking obnoxious. I'm tired of the plain "white shirt, blue tie". Thanks, and please don't tear my thread to shreds. :)

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Pink shirt and navy tie is fine. Pink shirt and purple tie is very difficult. Basically, don't do it, unless you mean indigo, which is really close to navy, or some purples so deep they are almost charcoal or dark chocolate. But I doubt you mean those.

Navy coat, white shirt, dark purple tie is a great evening look.

I couldn't dowload your images, for some reason.

Last edited:

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
P. S. It could work if the shirt is really light colored (ice pink) and the tie dark purple. It might also work if the pink has a strong orange undertone.

Avoid this (the shirt is actually lilac):

This is fine, though not ideal:

(Hat tip to Jonathan at Four in Hand. An even whiter shirt would have been better. Note that the tie is indigo.)

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your choice of shirt and tie colors is dependent in part on your complexion, hair color, and eye color. You can coordinate the tie with the shirt. Better yet, you can coordinate the shirt and tie with your color palette. The idea being you want the shirt and tie to flatter your face and skin.

So, my answer is maybe, depends on your color palette.

RJE

Reaction score

Last edited:

sborg

Reaction score
It can work as a semi-formal attire, preferably in light pink.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads