• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Peccary leather elegant?

abrocketsfan

Reaction score
I've been considering getting a cognac or burgundy belt in an exotic leather. I can across this sort of leather which I know very little about.

From what I see online, it looks exotic but in a rugged/western way. Can an elegant 1 1/8" belt be made with this sort of leather. I know alligator and even lizard belts are considered very elegant, but I've never heard of people wearing peccary..

Please chime in if you're aware of this sort of leather; I'd like to know what the perception is... thank you.

Here is an example of gloves made of peccary leather:

249_1.jpg

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about peccary leather myself, but i know there was a good thread on this a few months ago.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it would be to soft for belt even hard glued on a lined belt.
I think the belt would fare much worse than a suede, cant imagine you would get a belt manufacturer to make you a belt in Peccary.
But if you do PLEASE post and share.

The reason for using it in a glove is the extreme softness and comfort.

Have actually not seen it for shoes either.

Speed

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Peccary for gloves is fantastic. But for a belt, I would think that it would be too soft unless backed with calf--and the buttery softness of peccary is what makes it special.

abrocketsfan

Reaction score
This forum has adapted an entire range of words from the culinary lexicon

Now i've heard decadent, buttery, delicious, and a few others in just 2 months lol

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Peccary for gloves is fantastic. But for a belt, I would think that it would be too soft unless backed with calf--and the buttery softness of peccary is what makes it special.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had been obsessed with peccary leather gloves for the past 2 months. Recently I was able to get an exact sized pair at Barneys New York.

Peccary is a wild boar/pig in Peru. It was considered at one time a real fancy material for gloves, probably due to the novelty of the animal hide. It has a distinct, swirly and dotted pattern. The leather is suede-like and quite supple. I don't know about making a belt out of peccary, it may not be tough enough and may need to be combined with a hide like material to give it rigidity.

The picture of the peccary leather glove that the OP linked is a pair made by Dents. It is also part of the Bently collection at Bentley dealers. I don't like the cinch near the wrist; it makes it look too sporty.

Here's my pair in tobacco

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I feel chamois to be a very elegant material for gloves.

chamois sounds nice, but unlined gloves like these (ben silver sells them, paul stuart also I think) look top notch in my book:

not sure why you'd want this leather in a belt, would it compliment your shoes better than calf, croc, suede, etc.?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Paul Stuart does have the unlined version.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a pair of peccary gloves I got from Jay Kos a few years ago. I don't see why anyone would ever buy peccary gloves that are anything but unlined!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a lined version, typically cashmere or alpaca, is useful during winter months.

pajames

Reaction score
I had the ones from Ben Silver and they were the most beautiful gloves I've ever owned until they were stolen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads