• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Nordstrom return the real reason that makes them stands out?

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Hello all,

Because of the very well-known return policy of Nordstrom, do you think that it makes them better than Neiman Marcus or Sak's 5th Avenue?

Moreover, is their policy the real reason that makes you shop at Nordstrom over any other high-end stores?

Do you also think that Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, or likewise should follow Nordstrom return policy?

I'm really interested in this topic, so please be open.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nordstrom is not considered a "High End" Store.

Bottom: JcPennys, Kohls
Mid: Macys, Lord and Taylor
Mid + : Nordstrom, Bloomingdales
High: Saks, Neimans, Bergdorf.....

Raralith

Reaction score
Nordstroms carries different products than NM, Saks, and Barney's so from a department store standpoint (ignoring the internet), you can be locked in based on how much you are afford. Take for example shoes where Macy's prices are ~$100 (Rockport, Kenith Cole), Nordstroms prices are ~$300-$500 (Allen Edmonds, Farregamo), and NM/Saks/Barney prices are $700+ (C&J, John Lobb). When I did buy there, it wasn't for the liberal return policy, but more for the above scenario.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say than with Macy's declining to the the level on Penney's, Nordstrom stasame nds practically alone in the Mid-tier department store range. I'm not sure thatLord and Taylor has the same national presence.

brlfvr

Reaction score
IMO their return policy brings out the worst in customers for retail. For every person that benifits from it legitimately there are hordes that are abusing it. This has helped to create the over demanding rude ass customer and scumbags that bring back worn rank smelling items with no sense of embarassment.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Nordies stands alone for a lot of reasons. Returns being but one. They have an incredible management team and their financial performance exceeds all others listed on Post #2. They give their regional and individual stores managers a lot of leeway as to what brands to carry. My only quibble with Steve's list is that I'd put Saks on par with Nordies and Bloomies.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brlfvr
IMO their return policy brings out the worst in customers for retail. For every person that benifits from it legitimately there are hordes that are abusing it. This has helped to create the over demanding rude ass customer and scumbags that bring back worn rank smelling items with no sense of embarassment.

Well, that's your opinion. I have taken MANY things back to Nordies over the years. They might have been worn, but they were never *rank smelling.* I have not liked how some of their smart care shirts have held up after 8-10 trips to the laundry and I had NO reservations about taking those back. And, just a couple of weeks ago I took one (of five identical) gingham shirt back because the sleeves were 1/2" shorter than the others. As always, that return was handled graciously (on both ends) and there was no * embarrassment.*

And as for *the hordes, that may be abusing it,* this doesn't seem to have hurt their bottom line in the least. The last time I checked, JWN was outperforming most/all other stocks in their category.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred H.
Well, that's your opinion. I have taken MANY things back to Nordies over the years. They might have been worn, but they were never *rank smelling.* I have not liked how some of their smart care shirts have held up after 8-10 trips to the laundry and I had NO reservations about taking those back. And, just a couple of weeks ago I took one (of five identical) gingham shirt back because the sleeves were 1/2" shorter than the others. As always, that return was handled graciously (on both ends) and there was no * embarrassment.*

And as for *the hordes, that may be abusing it,* this doesn't seem to have hurt their bottom line in the least. The last time I checked, JWN was outperforming most/all other stocks in their category.

But wouldn't you prefer if they just sold a high quality product that you didn't have to return for shoddy construction or flawed design?

Fred H.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
But wouldn't you prefer if they just sold a high quality product that you didn't have to return for shoddy construction or flawed design?

They DON'T make a low quality product with shoddy construction or flawed design. They make good quality products most of which I am very happy with. If I'm not happy I take the item back. Contrast THAT with the never right / never satisfied experience I had with a custom shirt maker (mytailor.com) and I will remain loyal to stores like Nordstrom and Brooks Brothers.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
Nordstrom is not considered a "High End" Store.

Bottom: JcPennys, Kohls
Mid: Macys, Lord and Taylor
Mid + : Nordstrom, Bloomingdales
High: Saks, Neimans, Bergdorf.....

Agreed, in different context:

Below bottom (Hades): JcPennys, Kohls.
Bottom (Terra Firma): Dillards, Macys, Lord and Taylor
Middle (low altitude): Bloomingdales
Middle (mid altitude): Nordstrom
High (in orbit): Barneys
Highest (light years away): Saks, Neiman, Bergdorf ...

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Agreed, in different context:

Below bottom (Hades): JcPennys, Kohls.
Bottom (Terra Firma): Dillards, Macys, Lord and Taylor
Middle (low altitude): Bloomingdales
Middle (mid altitude): Nordstrom
High (in orbit): Barneys
Highest (light years away): Saks, Neiman, Bergdorf ...

I guess you haven't been in a Barneys. You should visit the Saks in Cincinnati. And I wouldn't place Nordstrom's above Bloomingdale's.

malat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
I guess you haven't been in a Barneys. You should visit the Saks in Cincinnati. And I wouldn't place Nordstrom's above Bloomingdale's.
Agreed. Bloomingdales and Nordstrom, at least here on the west coast, are about equal. Depending upon department, Bloomingdales surpasses Nordstrom in some respects...

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe

I have only ever been to 1 Barneys in my life. I felt it was better than any Nordstrom store I have been to, but 1 sample is hardly likely to make a good basis for statistics.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Agree with BlueHorseShoe +100000% on Barneys placement.

Rock Bottom: JC Penney, Kohls (never been there--will take SF's word on it)
Low-end: Macy's
Mid-low: Lord & Taylor
Mid: Bloomies (except in NYC where it goes up one), Nordstrom
Mid-high: Saks (except in NYC where it goes up one)
High: Barneys (not Coop, where it goes down one), Nieman Marcus
Super high: Bergdorf, Wilkes Bashford

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it certainly gives them a leg up but as far merchandise many stores have higher end stuff but then it depends on your budget and what youre looking for, and yes many people abuse it and its embarasing to watch it sometimes when people bring their crap from 5 years ago that they drove into the ground trying to give it back

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads