• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is Nordstrom return the real reason that makes them stands out?

Kiwi Man

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
656
Reaction score
4
Hello all,

Because of the very well-known return policy of Nordstrom, do you think that it makes them better than Neiman Marcus or Sak's 5th Avenue?

Moreover, is their policy the real reason that makes you shop at Nordstrom over any other high-end stores?

Do you also think that Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, or likewise should follow Nordstrom return policy?

I'm really interested in this topic, so please be open.
 

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2008
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
0
Nordstrom is not considered a "High End" Store.

Bottom: JcPennys, Kohls
Mid: Macys, Lord and Taylor
Mid + : Nordstrom, Bloomingdales
High: Saks, Neimans, Bergdorf.....
 

Raralith

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2009
Messages
216
Reaction score
0
Nordstroms carries different products than NM, Saks, and Barney's so from a department store standpoint (ignoring the internet), you can be locked in based on how much you are afford. Take for example shoes where Macy's prices are ~$100 (Rockport, Kenith Cole), Nordstroms prices are ~$300-$500 (Allen Edmonds, Farregamo), and NM/Saks/Barney prices are $700+ (C&J, John Lobb). When I did buy there, it wasn't for the liberal return policy, but more for the above scenario.
 

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2010
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
135
I'd say than with Macy's declining to the the level on Penney's, Nordstrom stasame nds practically alone in the Mid-tier department store range. I'm not sure thatLord and Taylor has the same national presence.
 

brlfvr

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
814
Reaction score
0
IMO their return policy brings out the worst in customers for retail. For every person that benifits from it legitimately there are hordes that are abusing it. This has helped to create the over demanding rude ass customer and scumbags that bring back worn rank smelling items with no sense of embarassment.
 

Fred H.

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2010
Messages
844
Reaction score
45
Nordies stands alone for a lot of reasons. Returns being but one. They have an incredible management team and their financial performance exceeds all others listed on Post #2. They give their regional and individual stores managers a lot of leeway as to what brands to carry. My only quibble with Steve's list is that I'd put Saks on par with Nordies and Bloomies.
 

Fred H.

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2010
Messages
844
Reaction score
45
Originally Posted by brlfvr
IMO their return policy brings out the worst in customers for retail. For every person that benifits from it legitimately there are hordes that are abusing it. This has helped to create the over demanding rude ass customer and scumbags that bring back worn rank smelling items with no sense of embarassment.

Well, that's your opinion. I have taken MANY things back to Nordies over the years. They might have been worn, but they were never *rank smelling.* I have not liked how some of their smart care shirts have held up after 8-10 trips to the laundry and I had NO reservations about taking those back. And, just a couple of weeks ago I took one (of five identical) gingham shirt back because the sleeves were 1/2" shorter than the others. As always, that return was handled graciously (on both ends) and there was no * embarrassment.*

And as for *the hordes, that may be abusing it,* this doesn't seem to have hurt their bottom line in the least. The last time I checked, JWN was outperforming most/all other stocks in their category.
 

tj100

Senior Member
Joined
May 4, 2009
Messages
655
Reaction score
14
Originally Posted by Fred H.
Well, that's your opinion. I have taken MANY things back to Nordies over the years. They might have been worn, but they were never *rank smelling.* I have not liked how some of their smart care shirts have held up after 8-10 trips to the laundry and I had NO reservations about taking those back. And, just a couple of weeks ago I took one (of five identical) gingham shirt back because the sleeves were 1/2" shorter than the others. As always, that return was handled graciously (on both ends) and there was no * embarrassment.*

And as for *the hordes, that may be abusing it,* this doesn't seem to have hurt their bottom line in the least. The last time I checked, JWN was outperforming most/all other stocks in their category.


But wouldn't you prefer if they just sold a high quality product that you didn't have to return for shoddy construction or flawed design?
 

Fred H.

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2010
Messages
844
Reaction score
45
Originally Posted by tj100
But wouldn't you prefer if they just sold a high quality product that you didn't have to return for shoddy construction or flawed design?

They DON'T make a low quality product with shoddy construction or flawed design. They make good quality products most of which I am very happy with. If I'm not happy I take the item back. Contrast THAT with the never right / never satisfied experience I had with a custom shirt maker (mytailor.com) and I will remain loyal to stores like Nordstrom and Brooks Brothers.
 

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2010
Messages
2,272
Reaction score
90
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
Nordstrom is not considered a "High End" Store.

Bottom: JcPennys, Kohls
Mid: Macys, Lord and Taylor
Mid + : Nordstrom, Bloomingdales
High: Saks, Neimans, Bergdorf.....


Agreed, in different context:

Below bottom (Hades): JcPennys, Kohls.
Bottom (Terra Firma): Dillards, Macys, Lord and Taylor
Middle (low altitude): Bloomingdales
Middle (mid altitude): Nordstrom
High (in orbit): Barneys
Highest (light years away): Saks, Neiman, Bergdorf ...
 

BlueHorseShoe

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2008
Messages
523
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by Klobber
Agreed, in different context:

Below bottom (Hades): JcPennys, Kohls.
Bottom (Terra Firma): Dillards, Macys, Lord and Taylor
Middle (low altitude): Bloomingdales
Middle (mid altitude): Nordstrom
High (in orbit): Barneys
Highest (light years away): Saks, Neiman, Bergdorf ...


I guess you haven't been in a Barneys. You should visit the Saks in Cincinnati. And I wouldn't place Nordstrom's above Bloomingdale's.
 

malat

Senior Member
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
508
Reaction score
291
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
I guess you haven't been in a Barneys. You should visit the Saks in Cincinnati. And I wouldn't place Nordstrom's above Bloomingdale's.
Agreed. Bloomingdales and Nordstrom, at least here on the west coast, are about equal. Depending upon department, Bloomingdales surpasses Nordstrom in some respects...
 

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2010
Messages
2,272
Reaction score
90
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
I guess you haven't been in a Barneys. You should visit the Saks in Cincinnati. And I wouldn't place Nordstrom's above Bloomingdale's.

I have only ever been to 1 Barneys in my life. I felt it was better than any Nordstrom store I have been to, but 1 sample is hardly likely to make a good basis for statistics.
 

EBugatti

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
513
Reaction score
18
Agree with BlueHorseShoe +100000% on Barneys placement.

Rock Bottom: JC Penney, Kohls (never been there--will take SF's word on it)
Low-end: Macy's
Mid-low: Lord & Taylor
Mid: Bloomies (except in NYC where it goes up one), Nordstrom
Mid-high: Saks (except in NYC where it goes up one)
High: Barneys (not Coop, where it goes down one), Nieman Marcus
Super high: Bergdorf, Wilkes Bashford
 

in stitches

Kung Joo
Spamminator Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Oct 10, 2010
Messages
69,954
Reaction score
32,966
it certainly gives them a leg up but as far merchandise many stores have higher end stuff but then it depends on your budget and what youre looking for, and yes many people abuse it and its embarasing to watch it sometimes when people bring their crap from 5 years ago that they drove into the ground trying to give it back
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 9 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 39 15.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 77 30.7%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 50 19.9%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 17 6.8%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 17 6.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 10 4.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 11 4.4%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 13 5.2%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,324
Messages
9,197,104
Members
193,158
Latest member
hardmod

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top