• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is newspaper as good as lasted shoe trees?

Kasper

Reaction score
I was thinking about this. Bunched up newspaper can pretty much conform to the exact shape of the shoe and is a very absorbent material. On top of that, it’s lighter to travel with. If you put all that together with the non-existent cost (you can pick some used ones up at Starbucks) I think it’s actually superior to buying lasted shoe trees and certainly the commercial type. What do you say?

guynamedsean

Reaction score
snork[1].gif

Jsoftz

Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means, but i'd say the fragrant qualities of aromatic cedar help promote a fresher-smelling shoe. Newspaper smells, well, like newspaper and would not absorb any odors that may be present. Also, after any moisture is absorbed the newspaper would shrink, possibly stain the inside of the shoes, and worsen the smell. In addition, the shrinking would negate the shape-conforming benefits.

...Not to mention, shoe trees just look pretty.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kasper
I was thinking about this. Bunched up newspaper can pretty much conform to the exact shape of the shoe and is a very absorbent material. On top of that, it's lighter to travel with. If you put all that together with the non-existent cost (you can pick some used ones up at Starbucks) I think it's actually superior to buying lasted shoe trees and certainly the commercial type. What do you say?

Most definitely!! I say you go stuff all of your Bostonians with newspapers!!

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jsoftz
I'm not an expert by any means, but i'd say the fragrant qualities of aromatic cedar help promote a fresher-smelling shoe. Newspaper smells, well, like newspaper and would not absorb any odors that may be present. Also, after any moisture is absorbed the newspaper would shrink, possibly stain the inside of the shoes, and worsen the smell. In addition, the shrinking would negate the shape-conforming benefits.

...Not to mention, shoe trees just look pretty.

Well there is an endless supply of free newspaper, so you could always have fresh material handy and since most circulations use soy based ink nowadays I don't think much of an odor or any kind of toxic substances would come in contact with the inside of your shoes.

On a side note, I hung those cedar blocks in my closest and they seemed to loose their fragrance within a couple of months.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a side note, I hung those cedar blocks in my closest and they seemed to loose their fragrance within a couple of months.

When they lose their aroma, simply sand them down a bit. They will seem just like new.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No, because the most important function of trees is to stretch the sole straight, letting it dry and settle in a flat(ter) shape, instead of curling up like it would otherwise do. The curled up sole then would promote the upper's creasing, etc.

Stuffing them with newspaper might be all right temporarily if you didn't have trees, but it wouldn't maintain the shoes the way trees do.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if you were reeeeeaaaaaaaally talking about function and not aesthetics, you'd be stuffing newspaper into the hedge fund kenneth coles previously posted!
smile.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ive got buck fifty plastic spring loaded Ikea shoe trees and im not complainin

LapelQueen

Reaction score
Yes, particularly the Herald Trib.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
No, because the most important function of trees is to stretch the sole straight, letting it dry and settle in a flat(ter) shape, instead of curling up like it would otherwise do. The curled up sole then would promote the upper's creasing, etc.

I understand your point but I pack the shoes pretty tightly with newspaper. I will post a pic of my method if anyone is interested.

Frittata

Reaction score
I understand your point but I pack the shoes pretty tightly with newspaper. I will post a pic of my method if anyone is interested.
you are funny

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newspapers are not as good as shoe trees nor are they shoe trees and never will be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics