• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is my workout worthless (sometimes it feels as though it is)

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I developed a workout routine that I thought I could stick to (I've never loved the gym, but understand why it's important), but I've started wondering how much I'm really doing for myself. I try and make it six days a week, three lifting, three running. On the lifting days I do one day chest/abs, where I do two exercises for each muscle group. Three sets of 8-12 for chest, 3 sets of 12-20 for abs, one day upper and lower back, which mirrors my chest exercises, and one day legs/shoulders, along the same lines. On the running days I do 2.5-3mi on a flat treadmil.

I've seen good improvement in my back, some in my shoulders, and a bit in the abs. My main complaint is in the chest area, while I've gotten stronger, there's still a bit of flab around the outer part of my lower pectorals, and my abs haven't made as much progress as I'd like.

I don't want to get bigger, just more toned, especially in front, where it's most noticable. I'd think with my diet and the running I'd have pretty much no flab on me, and that I'd have a better defined chest with the lifting I do but maybe my workout program isn't as beneficial as I thought. Given my schedule, I really need to be in and out of the gym in 40min each day, so that limits me a bit but I want to make that time count. What am I doing wrong?

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The front is only more noticeable to you, you know, everyone else sees the rest of you just as much.

I would say, not being an expert at all, that you should move your ab workouts to before or after running on running days, and insert an arm workout, hitting your biceps and triceps. Keep that body in proportion!

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long have you been doing your current workout? You should change it up regularly because your body adapts to it. It might be helpful if you were more specific on your lifting routine (exercises you do). I wouldn't worry about an arm day, working your chest, back, and shoulders works your arms as well.

The flab around your chest and amount of abs definition is more a matter of your bodyfat percent then your workout. Your exercise routine will help with this, but your diet is going to play a bigger part.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
How long have you been doing your current workout? You should change it up regularly because your body adapts to it. It might be helpful if you were more specific on your lifting routine (exercises you do). I wouldn't worry about an arm day, working your chest, back, and shoulders works your arms as well.

The flab around your chest and amount of abs definition is more a matter of your bodyfat percent then your workout. Your exercise routine will help with this, but your diet is going to play a bigger part.

For chest I mix it up with dumbell and barbell flat bench press as well as incline, and every so often I'll use a machine for a different motion. For the abs I do incline sit-ups with weight plates, also reverse crunches, crunches on a rubber ball while pulling on a weighted cable, and also a sort of twisting side-up for the obliques. For back it's a mix of three different machines as well as free weights where one arm/knee is resting on a bench and the other is lifting. For lower back I do back-ups on a back-up rack (not sure if it has a name), incline row, and also kneeling pull downs with a cable (where I'm doing the pulling with my back). For legs it's squats and lunges as well as calf machines. I've never been big on deadlifting because my motion isn't that great, and I understand it's one of the easiest to hurt yourself on.

If diet is an issue for body fat, what should I be eliminating? I always considered my diet fairly healthy, lean poultry, sushi, some vegies, lots of whole grains and Atkins bars after my lifts. What are some of the worst things for adding fat that I may not be aware of? Shouldn't cardio take care of this?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
For chest I mix it up with dumbell and barbell flat bench press as well as incline, and every so often I'll use a machine for a different motion. For the abs I do incline sit-ups with weight plates, also reverse crunches, crunches on a rubber ball while pulling on a weighted cable, and also a sort of twisting side-up for the obliques. For back it's a mix of three different machines as well as free weights where one arm/knee is resting on a bench and the other is lifting. For lower back I do back-ups on a back-up rack (not sure if it has a name), incline row, and also kneeling pull downs with a cable (where I'm doing the pulling with my back). For legs it's squats and lunges as well as calf machines. I've never been big on deadlifting because my motion isn't that great, and I understand it's one of the easiest to hurt yourself on.

1) Don't do so many ab exercises, it's not that useful, take the time to do cardio or more squats or add deadlifts, it will tone your entire body and abs more than ab exercises. You can do simple crunches at home to work your abs.

2) How much weight are you lifting? More than 1 x BW on primary lifts, or at least close?

If diet is an issue for body fat, what should I be eliminating? I always considered my diet fairly healthy, lean poultry, sushi, some vegies, lots of whole grains and Atkins bars after my lifts. What are some of the worst things for adding fat that I may not be aware of? Shouldn't cardio take care of this?
Don't eat bars, make shakes instead, which have much less fat/carbs and higher protein content. Rest of your diet seems fine. How does your calorie intake compare to consumption?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
1) Don't do so many ab exercises, it's not that useful, take the time to do cardio or more squats or add deadlifts, it will tone your entire body and abs more than ab exercises. You can do simple crunches at home to work your abs. 2) How much weight are you lifting? More than 1 x BW on primary lifts, or at least close? Don't eat bars, make shakes instead, which have much less fat/carbs and higher protein content. Rest of your diet seems fine. How does your calorie intake compare to consumption?
I'm not at 1x body weight on most exercises. Getting there on the squats. When I do a flat barbell press I'm at about 135-45 and I weigh 172. If I shifted to the 5x5 that you seem to like I'd be closer. Maybe I should be looking at something like that. For dumbell presses, it's obviously less. Maybe I'll shift to another day of squats. I need to go online and find a good chart detailing exactly the right motion, because I always worry I'm a little off and will hurt my back if I up the weight. And I'll have to look into the shakes. The Atkins bars have a lot of protine, but, as you know, they have a good deal of fat too. My favorite breakfast (which is right after I work out) is a really high-fiber whole wheat bread with PB on it and some skim milk, but that's not enough protine post-lift. Maybe beef jerkey for breakfast, lol.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
My favorite breakfast (which is right after I work out) is a really high-fiber whole wheat bread with PB on it and some skim milk, but that's not enough protine post-lift. Maybe beef jerkey for breakfast, lol.
Fat is the last thing you need pre or post-workout OR during breakfast for that matter; I'd suggest you skip the PB altogether. Whole wheat bread isn't necessary either, for you'll need all the fast (high GI) carb you need after a good workout. The protein in beef jerky is relatively slow to break down, so I'd not recommend it. Just follow drizzt3117's advice and make some shakes.

BTW, if you want some real progress, start tracking calorie intake and go from there.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your diet content looks pretty decent. Although, I would agree shakes are generally better then bars. For fat loss its not just about what you eat but how much. Try to keep track of your diet for a couple days and you'll get an idea of that. You can try using www.fitday.com to help you out. How long have you been on this program? It might just be a matter of giving it more time.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I'm not at 1x body weight on most exercises. Getting there on the squats. When I do a flat barbell press I'm at about 135-45 and I weigh 172. If I shifted to the 5x5 that you seem to like I'd be closer. Maybe I should be looking at something like that.

5x5 would be a good workout if you don't want to gain a large deal of mass, but still see results in definition and get stronger. You aren't lifting enough weight. You should be doing like 185ish or so with 5x5s, ideally, and able to get close to 2 plates for 1RM if you've been lifting as long as I'm guessing you've have from your posts about the gym. At the weight I just listed, and zero or slightly negative calorie intake, you are not going to develop significant mass with a 5x5, but will improve chest definition quite a bit.

For dumbell presses, it's obviously less. Maybe I'll shift to another day of squats. I need to go online and find a good chart detailing exactly the right motion, because I always worry I'm a little off and will hurt my back if I up the weight.
One quick tip on squats, my experience is that the key is to pick a point on the ceiling to look at it, and continue to look at it throughout your entire motion. For deadlifts, you want to do essentially the same thing to a point that is directly in front of your face. Deadlift is a bit more challenging to get correct form for, but I'd suggest doing it, even if it's on a power rack, which is nearly impossible to mess up.

And I'll have to look into the shakes. The Atkins bars have a lot of protine, but, as you know, they have a good deal of fat too. My favorite breakfast (which is right after I work out) is a really high-fiber whole wheat bread with PB on it and some skim milk, but that's not enough protine post-lift. Maybe beef jerkey for breakfast, lol.
Egg whites would be a good thing for you, along with protein shakes.

stuartSan

Reaction score
A quick thread hijack.

If I keep my calorie intake to less than I need, would lifting heavy make me bigger? I ask because my body size is just the way I want it now, and I too could use some toning. I am already using some of RossTraining.com's methods for cardio, and right now am only doing bodyweight workouts.

I'm thinking of weights because I could just up the weight to add intensity. With bodyweight workouts, I'd have to do more reps (no vest). I prefer short, intense exercises. Thanks.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stuartSan
A quick thread hijack.

If I keep my calorie intake to less than I need, would lifting heavy make me bigger? I ask because my body size is just the way I want it now, and I too could use some toning. I am already using some of RossTraining.com's methods for cardio, and right now am only doing bodyweight workouts.

I'm thinking of weights because I could just up the weight to add intensity. With bodyweight workouts, I'd have to do more reps (no vest). I prefer short, intense exercises. Thanks.

Chances are you will not add significant amounts of mass when your in caloric deficit.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chances are you will not add significant amounts of mass when your in caloric deficit.

I'd agree with this. Even if you were in caloric excess, you're not going to add mass too quickly given you mentioned before that you were on the slender side.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try front squats which will put you in the optimal body position. If you continue with back squats, I would be careful with looking at a point on the ceiling as it could crank your neck back to much. The key is to look forward while pushing your neck back into the bar.

You guys who want tone need to pay attention to your calorie intake. That's it. You can cut on donuts if you keep it low enough. Be prepared to lose muscle, but if you're after Brad Pitt in Fight Club, starve yourself.

lefty

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty

You guys who want tone need to pay attention to your calorie intake. That's it. You can cut on donuts if you keep it low enough. Be prepared to lose muscle, but if you're after Brad Pitt in Fight Club, starve yourself.

lefty

Probably not a good idea to starve yourself, if you want to get lower bodyfat and keep it off you'll do better with a modest deficit over a long time period (losing about 1 to 2 lbs per week at most).

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably not a good idea to starve yourself, if you want to get lower bodyfat and keep it off you'll do better with a modest deficit over a long time period (losing about 1 to 2 lbs per week at most).

I was being flippant, but a modest deficit will not drop you below 10% unless you have superior genetics or are very young.

Pitt, with his youth and genetics, dropped to Fight Club levels with cigarettes, coffee and a little bit of food.

Drastic results demand drastic measures.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads