• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is my jacket snug or tight?

Rufian

Reaction score
The more I wear it, the more I feel is on the snug side and may end up being tight in the future. This past couple of weeks I started lifting weights again after taking a few weeks break and I feel like this jacket is starting to feel a bit snugger than when I bought it or maybe is just my imagination, maybe I regained some of my lost muscle tone on the arms and shoulders. Its only been 2 weeks but muscle memory.. This a 40R unaltered jacket, is not like tight but I don't know

maybe I should just go back to Suit Supply and exchange this jacket for 42R and have it altered to fit better. I'm probably a 41R if such a thing exists

I think the old man here who said my jacket was one size smaller was right lol maybe that's why I show a little space between the jacket and collar, besides I'd like to gain a little muscle in the future, with this jacket, I can't do that at all.

Maybe that's also the reason why the sleeves are a bit on the short side and 42R would be a bit longer.

Attachments

• unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 151
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 147
  • unnamed (8).jpg
    unnamed (8).jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
As a biomedical scientist (my job) and a competitive strength athlete (my stupid hobby) I can tell you that muscle does not add or subtract anywhere near as quickly as you describe, so it's probably 20% in your head, 5% fluctuation in water retention, and 75% what a few others have already said, that the jacket was too small to begin with. I liked your original MTM jacket much better.

Rufian

Reaction score
I think the 42R even after alteration may not be as fitted to the body, but at least, gives some room to work with if I ever gain some weight or add a few pounds of muscle. I mean I don't want to be afraid of gaining a bit muscle or any weight and not fitting into my 40R jacket now lol

Rufian

Reaction score
As a biomedical scientist (my job) and a competitive strength athlete (my stupid hobby) I can tell you that muscle does not add or subtract anywhere near as quickly as you describe, so it's probably 20% in your head, 5% fluctuation in water retention, and 75% what a few others have already said, that the jacket was too small to begin with. I liked your original MTM jacket much better.

I feel it snugger than when I bought it, also I havent gained any muscle, probably just regained some glycogen, but yeah it could be water weight, but then again, it doesn't give me any room to work with in the future. With this current jacket, I can't gain any fat or muscle at all, otherwise, it will be tight. The MTM jacket was ok in the shoulder, but the waist and chest were big for my frame. The Suit Supply 42R fits better than the MTM I bought. Maybe with some alterations to the 42R jacket, I can get a somewhat decent fit.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we get a better picture of your collar? These are the same pictures you posted last time, but I am still 95% sure that collar gap is too much to fix.

Rufian

Reaction score
Can we get a better picture of your collar? These are the same pictures you posted last time, but I am still 95% sure that collar gap is too much to fix.

I haven't taken new photos but the gap is still there lol

sleeves are short, probably all of that would be fixed if I go 42R as the old man said

Attachments

• unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 143

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea man, that might be a hard fix. Maybe some one can comment on the collar sizing of Susu vs Spier and Mackay? You might have better luck with S&M.

Rufian

Reaction score
Yea man, that might be a hard fix. Maybe some one can comment on the collar sizing of Susu vs Spier and Mackay? You might have better luck with S&M.

My MTM jacket I returned was based on 42R and it didn't have a gap. I'll go back to SS and try the 42R

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, I was just about to update, that if you size up, it might drape better around your shoulders and neck, thus possibly eliminating the collar gap. Good luck!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the old man here who said my jacket was one size smaller was right lol maybe that's why I show a little space between the jacket and collar, besides I'd like to gain a little muscle in the future, with this jacket, I can't do that at all.

lol

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought that Biomedical Scientists wore comfortable tweeds with
ample drape to accommodate their muscle-building avocations.
Instead, you purchase a tight-fitting trendy get-up more appropriate
to a sweaty "road-warrior" trying to make quota, than a man of science,
dedicated to unraveling nature's mysteries.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I feel it snugger than when I bought it, also I havent gained any muscle, probably just regained some glycogen, but yeah it could be water weight, but then again, it doesn't give me any room to work with in the future. With this current jacket, I can't gain any fat or muscle at all, otherwise, it will be tight.

If you are serious about training, be advised that this is SuitSupply: it doesn't matter how much room you try to leave at the beginning for your anticipated gainzz because if you so much as look at a weight room, your nice new blue suit will instantly become an odd jacket + a pair of useless blue drinking straws.

I thought that Biomedical Scientists wore comfortable tweeds with ample drape to accommodate their muscle-building avocations. Instead, you purchase a tight-fitting trendy get-up more appropriate to a sweaty "road-warrior" trying to make quota, than a man of science, dedicated to unraveling nature's mysteries.

You have me confused with OP. I actually am mostly a road warrior now that I switched to a startup but my "uniform" if you will is CT shirts, the mandatory AE rotation, tailoring from whatever Nordstrom carries. When I was in academia, we actually mostly did the gym clothes or t-shirt + jeans thing, because wet bench work is surprisingly blue-collar in nature.

Rufian

Reaction score
If you are serious about training, be advised that this is SuitSupply: it doesn't matter how much room you try to leave at the beginning for your anticipated gainzz because if you so much as look at a weight room, your nice new blue suit will instantly become an odd jacket + a pair of useless blue drinking straws.

You have me confused with OP. I actually am mostly a road warrior now that I switched to a startup but my "uniform" if you will is CT shirts, the mandatory AE rotation, tailoring from whatever Nordstrom carries. When I was in academia, we actually mostly did the gym clothes or t-shirt + jeans thing, because wet bench work is surprisingly blue-collar in nature.

Not really serious about weight training. I don't have good genetics for muscle building, if anything, I have trouble with it. I've tried in the past where I was lifting heavy weights for months and eating more protein, calories, saw little results from it. Yeah, my muscles got slightly bigger, but I was still small. I doubt I'll put on any decent muscle that would make a 42R feel snug lol

I have kinda of a small frame for my 5'11 height. My shoulder width is ok I guess its not really narrow compared to other men. I think my shoulder width is about 18.5-19 inch which is average.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe your next thread should be: 'Just how many threads about the same suit are too many?'

Seriously, dude - take the advice you've already been given by 'old men' who actually know what they are talking about and stop filling the forum with slight variations of the same question to which you already know the answer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads