• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is my English getting better?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the feeling it has improved but I can not say if it is just slightly or really better .

What is your opinion?

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the feeling it has improved but I can not say if it is just slightly or really better .

What is your opinion?
Yes it's getting better. Esp. your use of complex verbs -- there was a sentence or two on the clothing board that I was suprised you'd written.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Your english has improved from farmer to gangster.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope that some day my English will improve as much as Ernests. It's pretty impressive how much his English improved since a month ago.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And what accounts for that drastic improvement (or do we want to know...)

Just be careful with punctuation. In French there is a space between a word and an exclamation or a question mark, not so in English.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(RJMan @ May 13 2005,17:10) Your english has improved from farmer to gangster.
I hope that some day my English will improve as much as Ernests. It's pretty impressive how much his English improved since a month ago.
Come on, your English is usually excellent.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Roy @ May 13 2005,11:33)
Originally Posted by RJMan,May 13 2005,17:10
It's ok. But I meant that Ernest really has shown a drastic improvement. That's something that i'd like to see too. Not only in my English though. There are two other languages which I want to improve drastically, namely French and Arabic. My French is terrible, even after living in a French speaking country for two years. In about half a year I will go and live in an Arab country, I've just started taking lessons and so far it's going ok. But I strive to improve my languages as good as I can.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, n****

Ernest, Steve has already told you not to use this word.  Consider yourself warned - LAG

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My French is terrible, even after living in a French speaking country for two years.
I lived in London for 3 days... so I guess if I spend 2 years in the UK or the US, i will be fluent in English.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just be careful with punctuation. In French there is a space between a word and an exclamation or a question mark, not so in English.

Is this a question? if it is, English punuctuation is COMPLETELY different as in French we use "?" at the end of a question...

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Fabienne @ May 13 2005,17:56) And what accounts for that drastic improvement (or do we want to know...) Just be careful with punctuation. In French there is a space between a word and an exclamation or a question mark, not so in English.
Is this a question? if it is, English punuctuation is COMPLETELY different as in French we use "?" at the end of a question...
I left it out on purpose, Ernest.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Fabienne @ May 13 2005,17:57)
Originally Posted by Roy,May 13 2005,11:33
Originally Posted by RJMan,May 13 2005,17:10

It's ok. But I meant that Ernest really has shown a drastic improvement. That's something that i'd like to see too. Not only in my English though. There are two other languages which I want to improve drastically, namely French and Arabic. My French is terrible, even after living in a French speaking country for two years. In about half a year I will go and live in an Arab country, I've just started taking lessons and so far it's going ok. But I strive to improve my languages as good as I can.
I meant there's not much room for improvement. I think J should create a new subcategory: a francophone forum. That way, those who don't get to practice their French often enough would have an opportunity. As for Arabic, enroll in the US Navy, they're looking for linguists. Intensive Arabic courses 24/7...

BjornH

Reaction score

Funny you should mention this. This is incidentally my current project - to quit putting a space before an . or a ?

My last one was to master the damn posessive it - that took some concious effort but I'm mostly there.

B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads