• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is my Dad in a Severe Mid Life Crisis??

Real estate

Reaction score
Warning: Long post, but an important issue in my life

So my mother and I had a talk the other day. She is seriously contemplating a divorce with my dad, who is now 50. To make a long story short, I'm curious if my father's attitude and actions are a result of a severe prolong mid life crisis, a possible medical condition, or its just the way he is. None of the following examples are exaggerated.

My dad was never the most involved guy, but he once went to work to pay the bills and occasionally take us to the park/beach for a few hours (at his convenience though). He did just the bare minimum a father should do, and not because he is lazy, but because he's just generally selfish. He's always been self centered and would not be able to last as a single dad if he were put in that situation. Over the past 8 years, his attitude has become a severe case of "don't know, don't care" selfish type of motto. He hasn't had any severe events happen to him (ie near death experiences, someone really screwing him over, huge loss of someone or something, or any other life changing epiphany moments)

It started when I was 13 and this was when he just started not listening to other people. I like to listen to rap (one of few non SF thing about me btw). I just got my new stereo set up in my office and have some 2pac on. He comes in to get something and hears the rap. He starts impersonating it shouting "hi yahyah hi yahyah yoyoyo" with the intention to be like a comedian teasing some one. I tell him I get it, my music doesn't take the most talent to make and most people perceive it as crap. He leaves and comes back later going "hi yaya hi yaya yoyoyo" just to tease me trying to be funny. He keeps doing this every time I listen to music, which is all the time: when I'm doing hw, on comp, cooking etc. I get fed up a couple days later and tell him how annoying this is and it's no longer funny. To this day, 8 freaking years later, almost every day I hear him go "hi yahyah hi yahyah yoyoyo" as if he is literally mentally marsupialed. My mother, sister and I tell him all the time to stop this. This is just one example among many of him not listening or caring about what anyone else in the family has to say, and also emphasizes some sort of mental problem.

Over the last five years, he has stopped going to work. In 2008, I would estimate he worked 3 months of the entire year. So far in 2009, he has gone to work for only 2 weeks. Since his work requires him to install TV cable, internet, and phones, he is doing some physical work and would occasionally have to lift a ladder. It is no where near as physical as construction, auto mechanic, or even stocking shelves.

In 2003, he got rear ended and was off work for a couple months. During that time he got a disability check, which he is now addicted to. He has figured out how to abuse a Dr's note and is constantly faking injuries to get off work. He claims he cannot do anything physical as a result of a couple car accidents. That is the excuse he uses to avoid work. He was brushing his teeth and claims it tweaked his injury. He sneezed and used that as an excuse because it twisted his back. And every other excuse you can think of, it's been used. Oh, by the way, today he was ok cleaning up and painting one of our rental suites, he has no problems lifting and packing 50lb stereo amps for my ebay business, he was shoveling a foot of snow a couple months ago, he has no problems splitting wood with a heavy axe and moving hundreds of logs from one end of the yard to the other end (about 70ft distance, and btw we do not need 500 logs to burn- he has a hoarding-used-garbage-problem as well), he still works out with heavy weights 3-4 times a week, and he can do practically anything else physical.

He read an article a few days ago about frozen shoulder (you are unable to use your shoulder muscles). The article states it starts in your early 50s. It takes an average of 2 years to "unthaw" and gain full use of shoulder muscles. Since he has a friend that had this once and lasted him 2.5 years, my dad decided he has it now. The perfect excuse to not work for two more years!! His job easily pays $100k a year and some make $130k doing relatively easy, simple tasks. And its not in extreme conditions like on an oil rig. We have gone from about $90k a year to about $25k when there is no reason for this, other than him not giving a damn if food is on the table for him (at age 50, he gets his mother to cook him a weeks worth of food that he microwaves everyday).

Since we own 6 rental homes, the rent alone can bring in $150k a year after they are paid off in about 2-3 years. No one in the family would have a problem with him flaking off in 3 years when the homes are paid for. He thinks he is some super wealth guy, but the truth is all the cash flow goes to the mortgage and general expenses for the homes. Until the homes are paid for, there is no extra cash flow. He doesn't understand because he doesn't handle the banking. As he refuses to go to work, we have gone into more and more debt and the homes are going to take longer to pay off.

Last year, he purchased a Honda S2000. It was purchased with MY money. He owed me quite a bit of cash from my business, but instead he borrowed it without my permission to finance his car. This doesn't really bother me financially as I have quite a bit saved up, but what pisses me off is he does not let me drive it so he did not insure it for me. This was the last straw and I no longer think of my self as having a father.

I try to talk to him about the recession, how important money is now b/c of layofs and how we're going into more debt to pay bills, but he literally says "I don't know, I don't care". If you talk to him about anything that requires even minimal thinking, he turns his brain off and says "I don't know, I don't care".

My best theory is there is some sort of neurological condition with him. I'm thinking a growing tumor against a specific area causing personality change, or decreasing circulation to a certain spot of his brain. There was an episode of House where a guy was too nice because of this and yesterday's episode had a guy turn into a jerk because of some internal brain damage.

Have you SFers had a father who went though a severe mental shift of if you are a father yourself, have you gone though a severe attitude change? I understand some men go though a mid life crisis, but for fuk's sake it shouldn't last 8+ years and involve you not giving a damn about anything or anyone, especially your family. Most men just buy a toupee, rent a car to go to the race track, or buy a boat. We have not been a crappy, ungrateful family, or abuse him or anything to cause this change. Is this just some sort of severe male menopause **** or do you think it is some sort of medical condition? Is behavior like this even acceptable?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thankfully, I've never experienced what you've described and so I don't have much input.

However, I don't think that it's acceptable - although that is subjective, of course.

From what you've said about your dad, I don't know if he has a medical/psychological condition. I think that - as you've described him - he's just selfish. He doesn't really seem to care about other people, doesn't take an interest in things around him and pretty much lives for himself.

There is, of course, the faint possibility that he's suffering from depression or some similar malady as that can cause behavioural changes and it can cause people to act rather eccentrically. However, given his apparent attitude I think that it would be hard to get him to have it checked out (unless you can persuade him that it would help him get extra time off work, of course!).

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sure hope your dad is not a drinker.

BTW, I pretty much agree with Journeyman. I'm not sure how you'll get him out of this situation, as his behavior is not exactly recognized as a psychological disorder. A solution is for you and your family to cut him off financially, and of course, doing this will cause severe disruptions in your family. Don't do it until you have no other choice.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
**** him.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your father is most likely suffering from some sort of psychological condition. His behavior is obviously unacceptable and cannot simply be explained by selfishness.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
There is, of course, the faint possibility that he's suffering from depression

Faint possibility? The dude's dad is clearly depressed.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
Faint possibility? The dude's dad is clearly depressed.

Originally Posted by texas_jack
Yeah, I'd have to say there's s good chance he's depressed. Tell your mom to tell your dad she wants him to go to therapy and you should back her up.

+1

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
zeiajawjra2002894349033.jpg

Because.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he could be depressed or just a self centered person who only see's other people as small-timer's in his overall life story.

there may be things that have gone on that you're not aware of - i.e., affairs, that have impacted his self image or motivation.

On the other hand - he could be like my father. A real-life version of Peter from office space. Who dreams of doing nothing but sitting on his ass all day. My father was a brillant man. Literal rocket scientist who happened to be an acloholic and drug addict. I pause to admit that he worked on the space shuttles for years - all while jacked up on smack.

He played the disability card for over a decade. Eventually he got sober (around 50) and found some weak minded woman who had a little money to sustain him. He's happier than ever before - receiving his pension, social security and old lady money.

Of course he has nothing to show for his life. I spent less than 2 months total with him in aggregate over 35 years. He has no accomplishments, his brothers won't talk with him, and even his AA sponser doesnt like hanging around him.

Whatever the reason, it sounds like its time for you to make a break from having him be in your life. Keep him at a distance - its better for you - and probably what he prefer's.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't offer any insight at all, but I do want to say from the bottom of my heart that I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

I pray that there is a beneficial way for both of you to solve this.

Ed

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
he could be depressed or just a self centered person who only see's other people as small-timer's in his overall life story.

there may be things that have gone on that you're not aware of - i.e., affairs, that have impacted his self image or motivation.

On the other hand - he could be like my father. A real-life version of Peter from office space. Who dreams of doing nothing but sitting on his ass all day. My father was a brillant man. Literal rocket scientist who happened to be an acloholic and drug addict. I pause to admit that he worked on the space shuttles for years - all while jacked up on smack.

He played the disability card for over a decade. Eventually he got sober (around 50) and found some weak minded woman who had a little money to sustain him. He's happier than ever before - receiving his pension, social security and old lady money.

Of course he has nothing to show for his life. I spent less than 2 months total with him in aggregate over 35 years. He has no accomplishments, his brothers won't talk with him, and even his AA sponser doesnt like hanging around him.

Whatever the reason, it sounds like its time for you to make a break from having him be in your life. Keep him at a distance - its better for you - and probably what he prefer's.

Well he did work on a space shuttle, I'd agree that not taking care of your son makes your other accomplishments moot though...

Real estate

Reaction score
Thanks for the great replys and support. My dad does not seemed depressed, he is not a drinker, smoker, or drug user, gambler nor does any one in our close or extended family come close to using any of these vices.

He's not angry or abusive. Doesn't yell or get super pissed. I don't think he is depressed. He seems perfectly content living in his own little world. And this world does not extend outside a 3 foot radius. My mother doesn't spend or squander any cash, hell she is able to stretch 25K a year for her, my sister, and I to live really good on. So he was never used or abused by anyone. I grad next year and my tuition is paid in full and I've managed to save almost 80k of business profits so if worse comes to worse I can put a down payment on a new place for the rest of my family if any splits were to happen.

I think therapy is an option if it is mental, otherwise it is some sort of physical neurological medical condition causing slow personality change (if it was some sorta tumor I won't blame him for this).

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried to get professional help? If not for him at least for you and the rest of the family. It might seem lame when he is the one with the problem but a pro might have insights that a bunch of tossers on the interwebz do not.

Also try moving a bit further away and seeing less of him. Your an adult, go do adult **** and let your dad work it out on his own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads