• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is my coworker right?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My organization regularly purchases tables at various charity events and has done so for one at the st. regis next week. I have been asked to attend, along with a somewhat cheap co-worker. He does not own a tuxedo and will be forced to rent one.

He told me that he would be seeking corporate reimbursement for the $150 or so that it will cost to rent the tux. I told him to hold on while I check with the experts. I think he should suck it up as going to black tie events is part of being a professional. He thinks thats bs and goes beyond the usual professional dress requirements.

What say you folks? Should he put the rental on his corporate credit card and submit for reimbursement on a T&E or should he suck it up and pay himself.

thanks all.

rob

Reaction score
I would consider it grounds for dismissal. I invite employees to charity events and would be insulted if someone wanted to stick me with a tux rental. How about babysitters, cab fare, tips, etc? Why not submit that?

Hope he's really good at his job because he lacks some pretty basic social intelligence.

Rob

T-Lama

Reaction score
You are correct, he should suck it up and pay for it himself. Let the fool submit it through t&e and then see what happens when it gets rejected and they tell him to pound sand.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would consider it grounds for dismissal. I invite employees to charity events and would be insulted if someone wanted to stick me with a tux rental. How about babysitters, cab fare, tips, etc? Why not submit that?
Hope he's really good at his job because he lacks some pretty basic social intelligence.
Rob

that might be a bit over the top, but in general, I agree that its silly. If we weren't taking black cars, I think he would try to submit reimbursement for the car service.

You are correct, he should suck it up and pay for it himself. Let the fool submit it through t&e and then see what happens when it gets rejected and they tell him to pound sand.

eh, he's a good enough guy that I don't want to see him get burned.

SamSpade

Reaction score
Bullshit. The guy is absolutely right - there is no good reason to force anyone to incur a completely suprfluous expense as black tie attire (the post doesn't make it clear if it is a "black tie required event"). I would imagine that dude has a regular suit which would be appropriate for virtually any occasion. If a suit isn't enough for the boss, then they should cover his cost.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bullshit. The guy is absolutely right - there is no good reason to force anyone to incur a completely suprfluous expense as black tie attire (the post doesn't make it clear if it is a "black tie required event"). I would imagine that dude has a regular suit which would be appropriate for virtually any occasion. If a suit isn't enough for the boss, then they should cover his cost.

yes, its a black tie event.

That said, this is the financial services industry...in nyc...at a widely known organization...in a non-entry level role.

Black tie events are simply part of it. I'm shocked he doesn't already own a tuxedo, JAB or otherwise.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is attending black-tie event part of the job requirements? Can he say no to attending?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is attending black-tie event part of the job requirements? Can he say no to attending?

Is it stated in his job description that he must attend black tie event? no. Is it an unwritten rule? absolutely.

Can he say no? Sure, but you don't say no to these things if you want any chance of career advancement.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it stated in his job description that he must attend black tie event? no. Is it an unwritten rule? absolutely.
Can he say no? Sure, but you don't say no to these things if you want any chance of career advancement.

If he is not required to attend then there is no way he can ask for reimbursement. If he wants to advance his career then investing in black tie makes sense. If he doesn't, then he shouldn't go.

LeviMay

Reaction score
He should get two copies of the receipt, and try to get reimbursed AND try to write it off at tax time. :D

mcbrown

Reaction score

That said, this is the financial services industry...in nyc...at a widely known organization...in a non-entry level role.
Black tie events are simply part of it. I'm shocked he doesn't already own a tuxedo, JAB or otherwise.

Well, in fairness to him... I have been in financial services in NYC for my whole career, I'm a partner at a reasonably sized firm, and I have never been invited to a black tie event in connection with my job. These days it's pretty easy to go your whole life without wearing a tuxedo...

Not that it means he should be reimbursed. The objective way to resolve it is to answer the following question: would the IRS would consider it a deductible business expense for the company? In this case I highly doubt it.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
he should just wear his black suit brooks brothers shirt a buy a cheap bow tie
polish up his square toed rubber soled shoes.

or else go to mens warehouse or JAB and buy an inexpensive tux and shirt that he will have for these future career advancement events.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, in fairness to him... I have been in financial services in NYC for my whole career, I'm a partner at a reasonably sized firm, and I have never been invited to a black tie event in connection with my job. These days it's pretty easy to go your whole life without wearing a tuxedo...
Not that it means he should be reimbursed. The objective way to resolve it is to answer the following question: would the IRS would consider it a deductible business expense for the company? In this case I highly doubt it.

hmm, thats surprising to me. We tend to go to these things a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics