• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is my coworker right?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the important question is does he have a choice weather he can to go or not? If he is being forced to go then its a bit unreasonable for him to stomach the cost. I do agree with you that every man should own at least one Tuxedo but the fact is that majority of the people today even in those industries don't. I have several friends that work at client facing roles in the big banks here in NYC some wear suits everyday and get invited to these things regularly but even they don't own a tux and usually just wear a black suit with a black tie to those things.

Whether or not he has a "choice" is debatable. It sounds like one of those things that he could back out of if he wanted, but it could potentially hurt his long-term career prospects if he did.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for sucking it up and paying. just part of business.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing he's paid well enough, he should just pay for it. It's not that big of a deal. However, if he wants to try expensing it, let him try.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sounds to me a personal issue with your colleague, really nothing to do with you. If he wants to try to get reimbursed, that's his prerogative. Ditto if he wants to play by the unwritten rules or not. Look at it this way, this is a chance to leave your colleague in the dust. Let him dig his own grave if submitting the expense will pile on.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly I can't believe such thinking was from an adult. I hope the guy is not serious.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm guessing he's paid well enough, he should just pay for it. It's not that big of a deal. However, if he wants to try expensing it, let him try.

the man is certainly well compensated enough to purchase a very nice tuxedo, but is just innately cheap.

This sounds to me a personal issue with your colleague, really nothing to do with you. If he wants to try to get reimbursed, that's his prerogative. Ditto if he wants to play by the unwritten rules or not. Look at it this way, this is a chance to leave your colleague in the dust. Let him dig his own grave if submitting the expense will pile on.

I still respect the guy as a coworker (he is good at his job), but true, at some point, I'm gonna have to let him hose himself.

jt10000

Reaction score
Bullshit. The guy is absolutely right - there is no good reason to force anyone to incur a completely suprfluous expense as black tie attire (the post doesn't make it clear if it is a "black tie required event"). I would imagine that dude has a regular suit which would be appropriate for virtually any occasion. If a suit isn't enough for the boss, then they should cover his cost.

It depends on if the attendance was optional and how common such events are for this guy in the course of work.

If such an event is not common, and the invitation is optional, then he should just decline to go.

If it's not common and participation is required, then an argument could be made he should be reimbursed.

If such as event is very common for work, and it's expected he should go, then a tuxedo would simply be considered normal work clothes he buy himself.

Also, if he's deep well into six figures ($US)/year, just buy a tux.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It depends on if the attendance was optional and how common such events are for this guy in the course of work.

If such an event is not common, and the invitation is optional, then he should just decline to go.

If it's not common and participation is required, then an argument could be made he should be reimbursed.

If such as event is very common for work, and it's expected he should go, then a tuxedo would simply be considered normal work clothes he buy himself.

This sums up my take on the whole business to perfection. From what I gather of the specifics of the situation, he should just buy the damn tux, especially since, as many others in this thread have pointed out, they can be had quite cheaply from outfits like JAB...and he evidently has ample means.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This sums up my take on the whole business to perfection. From what I gather of the specifics of the situation, he should just buy the damn tux, especially since, as many others in this thread have pointed out, they can be had quite cheaply from outfits like JAB...and he evidently has ample means.

+1

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he is being compelled (however politely or loosely) to attend to entertain the company's outside guests then the company must pay. If it is PURELY an internal event with no outsiders then he should pay. However the issue them will be that attendance is deemed necessary to demonstrate loyalty: If that is so then the invitation policy is wrong.

Singlemalt

Reaction score

This.

Which I think is basically also your opinion, Quadcammer, no?

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will look very bad if he submits a form to be reimbursed for a fairly inexpensive tux rental. Snobby shops will look down their nose and blacklist you for such a thing. Whether or not it should be that way is another matter, and not that relevant ...

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This guy needs to just buy the tux. He took the position knowing that this kind of thing is a possibility. He should consider himself lucky that he is being asked to join such a high profile event for the firm, and that he will get to network with the types of folks that frequent those events. This is a good thing for his career.

Does he try to expense his suits for work? I don't see this as being too different.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads