• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is more attractive luggage targeted for theft?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question refers to the contents of luggage, for example, as handled at airports. What's your opinion? Studies surely don't exist
smile.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know, but I wouldn't want to take the risk mainly because the way in which luggage is often handled. Unless it's carry on, then I'd leave the better luggage at home.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
Something that does the job well is all that's needed; for carry on's though it shouldn't be an issue to have a super nice bag or rolling case. There hasen't been any studies because it's probably one of those common sense things, or obvious. Nicer things are a target, in general they get more attention from people.

modagg

Reaction score
My grandma gave me all kinds of gucci luggage from the 70's that I found while helping her clean up her basement. Apparently the first time she used the luggage, at the baggage pickup some guy took a suitcases and was walking out the airport and my 6'5" grandfather chased him down and tackled him. So my grandma never used them again; which is awesome for me since i got some barely used vintage gucci luggage.

Mathew J

Reaction score
I have heard that tumi and louis vuitton are prime targets for either theft of abuse by the throwers...many I know who travel often suggest getting "normal" luggage so as not to draw attention to your belongings, the most recommended set I hear about is travelpro.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On TV, I recently saw a news story about luggage theft at LAX. The baggage handlers admitted that they specifically target nice luggage.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ No surprise obviously. But knowing that, can't they at least get the rest of the crap luggage, like mine, through quicker?

BryanHarig

Reaction score
I think this is why something like Briggs and Riley is the best choice for travel. Ultra tough, well designed and almost entirely anonymous.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a reason some of us travel entirely on carryon.

Unless you're going away for a month, you can more than easily pack enough between your carry on, a garment bag and your laptop bag.

Of course, I travel extremely frequently (i.e. a couple of times a week, at least), so I'm very sensitive to not carrying more than I have to.

But yes, I have noticed that the nicer bags tend to be targeted more. I mean, especially in European airports, where snatchers are super common, putting a nice bag down for a minute is asking for disaster.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mathew J
I have heard that tumi and louis vuitton are prime targets for either theft of abuse by the throwers...many I know who travel often suggest getting "normal" luggage so as not to draw attention to your belongings, the most recommended set I hear about is travelpro.
Isn't Tumi pretty normal? I see a lot of it at airports.

EasyGoing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BryanHarig
I think this is why something like Briggs and Riley is the best choice for travel. Ultra tough, well designed and almost entirely anonymous.

Don't forget the warranty.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
^ No surprise obviously. But knowing that, can't they at least get the rest of the crap luggage, like mine, through quicker?
2 points, tks for the laugh. Do you really trust anything these guys do with your belongings? :--(

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ LOL. Based on what mine the looked like the last time it came out, I swear it was that piece on the right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads