1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is mercerized cotton more durable?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by archetypal_yuppie, Mar 15, 2013.

1. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Is mercerized cotton more durable than non-mercerized? What have peoples' experiences been?

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

3. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

You should have gone to the Ask Man of Lint thread and saved him trouble of having to look for your question.

4. archetypal_yuppie

Yeah I could have, if I had any idea what it was at the time. Do you presume that everyone who uses the site must be familiar with all of its contents?

5. Big Texas

Big Texas Senior member

The answer to your question depends on how you define "durable" in the context of a particular cotton garment.

Mercerization increases the tensile strength of cotton fibers by slightly altering their chemical structure. It also increases their resistance to mold, such as mildew. On the other hand, mercerized cotton is more attractive to dust and other fine, particulate matter.

On the balance, these qualities may or may not noticeably affect the durability of your cotton items, depending upon what you put them through and how you maintain them. Generally speaking, wear and care will make a much more significant difference in the long run.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. GBR

GBR Senior member

Not at all. The genera quality, style etc if the garment you are looking at is relevant not this narrow feature.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  7. archetypal_yuppie

I can't imagine how the style of a garment will affect its durability. Anyway, I'm not asking about the durability of a garment, I'm asking about fabrics. I realize that there are few instances where you could compare a similar weave or knit of mercerized cotton vs. non-mercerized cotton. But if you could, just wondering if one would be more durable than another when exposed to normal wear & tear, and washing.

8. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I was making a joke but your offence is noted.

9. archetypal_yuppie

Oh, good one.