• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Mel Gibson Anti-Semitic?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is the sky blue? Does a bear *********** woods? You get the idea of how I feel about the question I posed. Of course who cares and does it matter!

Well not a lot. But it does show him to be a hypocrite, which is no surprise! It's also ironic, in that, he made about $100,000,000(yes that's 100 Million Triple Net) for that "Masterpiece, The Passion of The Christ.

It seems that Mel "is aware of his problem" and has addressed it. Will he go to a Rehab in Malibu. He could walk there as an outpatient! I've got a feeling he is aware of 12 step programs. Maybe he could blame it on his sponsor.

I think he turned down a Breathalyzer test. Too bad, with his bucks, no chance he'll get any real punishment. 30 days in the slammer might give him a little perspective, and sobriety! But won't happen.

I guess the moral of the story and of this Posting is that even a Billionaire can be one angry asshole when he's on the juice.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's the real question, is Mel any more antisemitic than say, the UN?

Good idea, Image. I wonder if Jamie Foxx and George Clooney will be protesting his execution though?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I think a nice crucifixion would be great punishment for him. It should be administered by people who have lost family members to drunk drivers...

Jon.

That's Great!!!! But you guys on SF are younger and sharper than me. I'm an old guy! As a matter of fact I'm Mel's age. I'm also sober 22 years which is neither here nor there!

Way back when, I did get my DWI's and had my troubles which I'm not proud I'm not proud to say. I live in Houston, Tx. But I do remember that when I was getting arrested I did not call the officer a "******* N!". And I certainly didn't call the officer "A ******* Jew". But then I really don't think I'm a ******* arrogant Asshole like Mel!

BTW, I will sponsor Mel if he is ready to surrender to a higher power, and I will take him through the 12 steps! And without rancor.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a big Mel Gibson fan.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a pretty big Gibson fan I guess. But I haven't seen the Passion, I mean...come on I already know how it ends. Mad Max and Braveheart were some kick ass flicks though.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Mel Gibson's kind of insane anyway. He's obsessed with torture and if you note, often puts himself in roles where he gets really mangled in movies. I read an article about this a while back, maybe I can find it...

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I'm a pretty big Gibson fan I guess. But I haven't seen the Passion, I mean...come on I already know how it ends. Mad Max and Braveheart were some kick ass flicks though.

ya, because the most important part of a movie is the ending. Forget character development, story telling and the human experience. Give me the cheesy twist ending.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I wish Gibson the best on his road to recovery from alcoholism. Still not crazy about him. Did like Signs. Despite his presence.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know people get that worked up about Mel Gibson. I like a lot of his stuff. I thought Braveheart and The Passion of the Christ were really good.

chicagobull

Reaction score
I think the biggest issue about these new revelations about Mel Gibson's anti-semitism is that his "masterpiece" The Passion of Christ will, and should be looked at in a different light. I am not a Christian or a Jew, but I was still one of the millions who went to see the film in the theater on the opening weekend out of interest, and general desire to learn about Christ's life and death. I went in with a completely blank slate, with no preconcieved ideas about what will be shown on the screen, and without a negative opinion of Mel Gibson.

After walking out of the movie, I felt nauseous. While the cinematography was excellent, the movie was a complete gore-fest, and taught me absolutely nothing about Christianity. I also came away from the movie thinking that it had a very definate anti-semitic slant, which had been debated at the time. Gibson claimed he was giving an absolutely faithful representation of what happened, but I felt that the Jewish people were portrayed in a very negative light, and the Romans were given a bit of a free pass. Like I said, I am neither a Christian or a Jew, and had no preconcieved notions going into the movie, only my limited knowledge about the Christ's life.

After these new revelations, I am sure that the film's anti-semitic slant will be more apparent to viewers who watch it for a second time.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on a completely unrelated note, i do find it odd that Mel Gibson, the man who could afford just about anything, gets a DUI in a 2006 Lexus. or is it plated in 24K gold?

-Jeff

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think that this is that new - his father is a well known anti-semite, and there have been various suggestions about his own feelings, aside from the movie.

here's the thing - I don't care that much. I didn't like the movie (but I went to see it) and I didn't like the fact that the movie was done and is used by anti-semites all over the world to back up their hatred. but I don't feel that strongly about him - I felt strongly about Dahl and about Redgrave, because they were so vocal about their feelings, but aside from the one movie, mel hasn't tried to generate any mass hatred towards jews.

being an unrepentant alchoholic who drives drunk, however, pisses me off more. if nothing else, somebody like that can have a driver when he wants to drink.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, one of my cousins goes to school with Haley Jo Osment, the kid who was in the Sixth Sense and some other movies, check this out:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13952353/

Osment, nominated for an Academy Award for "The Sixth Sense," was driving a 1995 Saturn about 1 a.m. when he crashed into a mailbox on a brick base and flipped over, Los Angeles County sheriff's Lt. Greg Sisneros said.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads