• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is kenneth Cole shoes really that bad?

phatty123

Reaction score
Err its coming in today or tomrorow. I actually bought 2 one in size 9 and 9.5 because someone said it sized either .5 or 1 inch too big. I bought 2 b/c i don't know which one fits. I am returning one of them back and might return both if it doesn't look good.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, Kenneth Cole "Play it Cool" for $79.90 (inclusive of free overnight shipping and free return) from Endless.com on sale.

985-218799-p.jpg

Here's an A-E Hillcrest, recently sold on eBay for $60, Buy it Now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-ALLEN-...QQcmdZViewItem

da9c_1.JPG

WSW

Reaction score
You should disregard what everyone is telling you and buy as many Kenneth Coles as you can afford. Be unique and wear those square toes with pride!!
bounce2.gif

Don't wait, run to the nearest KC store!!

phatty123

Reaction score
To tell you the truth, if I was just looking at those pictures the one that i purchased but havent received yet and the AE one on the bottom, I say the KC one looks better.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phatty123
To tell you the truth, if I was just looking at those pictures the one that i purchased but havent received yet and the AE one on the bottom, I say the KC one looks better.
I agree. There aren't many fans here of bicycle-toed shoes like the AE in the photo and the KC is a more subtle, classic design. The KCs look a little plasticky but they are better than 90% of what I see worn with suits here in Vancouver. Without a doubt though, the AEs will last longer and wear better as they do it. The construction and leather quality is a totally different level with AE.

lpwb32

Reaction score
phatty, in your defense, those AE's posted above are not nearly as contemporary looking as the KCs. so lets assume you're looking for something more in line with what other people your age are wearing. so here's a johnston & murphy which is almost identical looking and while still not up to the standards of many here, still much better quality. at least these are leather soles that you can refurbish.
41Q994AR20L._SS400_.jpg
$106 on amazon and in the j&m stores on sale right now too maybe for less. i noticed that there was a 50% off sale in their stores just last wkend. you can find these on zappos and shoebuy as well. the following are avail from the AE ebay store ranging from $109-$149, so i'm not sure how you're finding the shoes others mentioned in ~$250 range.
6d_2.JPG
1a73_1.JPG
8681_2.JPG
as for jcrew and br, i can also say i buy a lot of clothes from these stores. i'm still relatively new to the sf world as well. i cant defend a $350 jcrew blazer though. i have a few BR suits which i'm sure people on the fora would knock me for having. we can admittedly say that people around here are clothing snobs (or we wouldnt care enough to spend our time here)... BUT one thing is for sure is people here also respect bargains. so if i said i never spent more than $150 on any of those BR suits or pick up their dress shirts on the bargain rack for $19.99, that's much harder to criticize. theres almost never any reason to buy anything from these mass mkt stores for full price because i guarantee that same blazer is out there sitting on a sale rack for half that. if you can't find it, people in the buying and selling forum are helpful enough they'll let you know if they spot it somewhere and possibly ship it out to you.

migo

Reaction score
If you've learnt anything from being here, you should know that your shoes are pretty important...if there's anything you should be spending your money on, it should be shoes (and tailoring). If you can't afford to spend a decent amount on shoes, you shouldn't be spending a lot on your clothes...I'm a student in college, I understand your position more than anyone because I'm in it. That said, if you're patient, you will find good stuff for cheap. I found these on ebay for $30 shipped. You really cannot beat that price:

IMG_0105.gif

I willing to bet you won't find any pair of KC's for $30 that look remotelyas good as any type of classic style shoe.

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lpwb32
phatty,
as for jcrew and br, i can also say i buy a lot of clothes from these stores. i'm still relatively new to the sf world as well. i cant defend a $350 jcrew blazer though.
i have a few BR suits which i'm sure people on the fora would knock me for having. we can admittedly say that people around here are clothing snobs (or we wouldnt care enough to spend our time here)... BUT one thing is for sure is people here also respect bargains. so if i said i never spent more than $150 on any of those BR suits, that's much harder to criticize.

theres almost never any reason to buy anything from these mass mkt stores for full price because i guarantee that same blazer is out there sitting on a sale rack for half that. if you can't find it, people in the buying and selling forum are helpful enough they'll let you know if they spot it somewhere and possibly ship it out to you.

sorry you posted while I was writing up my previous post..

In defense of most people here, I don't think that's necessarily true...I'm pretty sure they'd put the fit of whatever you're wearing, and what it looks like, before what brand it is.

lpwb32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo
sorry you posted while I was writing up my previous post.. In defense of most people here, I don't think that's necessarily true...I'm pretty sure they'd put the fit of whatever you're wearing, and what it looks like, before what brand it is.
agreed... by "clothing snob" i dont mean that people here are brand name whores, but rather they care immensely about the ratio between quality and price. so i dont think anyone is really bothered by the OP wearing a jcrew blazer and kc shoes (ok, maybe the shoes bug), but more so by the fact that the ensemble costs nearly $500 to put together!

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phatty123
Honestly? I agree about the styling, but I was just doing a quick scan for AE derbies (not oxfords) that were being sold new and not used. However, I was making the point that you can buy new A-Es for the price you paid, and I hope you saw the difference in leather quality even from photos.

I don't think anyone, by the way, would object to a student being dressed in BR or J Crew clothes, except if they believe these can be had for much cheaper. Speaking for myself, I made a note about BR and J Crew SHOES and not the brands in general.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think this guy has made up his mind and the question he originally posted was redundant even before post #2. He's just looking for someone to agree with his choice, and that's it. His posts trying to rationalize his idea of not wanting to spend on shoes but on pants and jackets are also a way for him to justify his purchase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads