• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is kenneth Cole shoes really that bad?

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phatty123
I am sure Banana Republic and J Crew clothing is considered average to you guys right? The posts and replies i see about Kenneth Cole shoes when i used the search option made it seem that Kenneth Cole was way below average which was why i asked this question. If it is average, then its good b/c i know it isn't that great but average is great for me.

Actually I think you'd find that quite a few people here have clothing from Banana and J.Crew. I have sweaters, shirts, shorts, and underwear from both stores. The gear is fine for things like that IF you buy it on sale. Paying full price for the stuff is ridiculous when it goes on sale constantly. Everything from J.Crew eventually gets marked down by 40% -- same with BR and their outlets.

At half price, the J.Crew blazer is probably a good deal. The KC shoes would never be considered here because even at a discount, they still look like ass.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I have Kenneth Cole NY line shoes... They are in perfect shape and 13 years old...Retail on these shoes was 175.00.

That must have been the retail price 13 years ago, no? Aside from possible diminishing quality (see Cole Haan), Kenneth Cole NY shoes go for significantly more than that these day, I'd think.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
At half price, the J.Crew blazer is probably a good deal. The KC shoes would never be considered here because even at a discount, they still look like ass.

+1

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks then no hard feelings.

If kenneth cole shoes are average, then its fine with me. I am sure Banana Republic and J Crew clothing is considered average to you guys right? The posts and replies i see about Kenneth Cole shoes when i used the search option made it seem that Kenneth Cole was way below average which was why i asked this question. If it is average, then its good b/c i know it isn't that great but average is great for me.

To clarify, I would not view KC shoes as average. I think, with the exception of the high end line, they are poorly designed, shoddily constructed shoes made from far inferior materials. Other than that, I liked the play.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
To clarify, I would not view KC shoes as average. I think, with the exception of the high end line, they are poorly designed, shoddily constructed shoes made from far inferior materials. Other than that, I liked the play.

+1 Agree

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
That must have been the retail price 13 years ago, no? Aside from possible diminishing quality (see Cole Haan), Kenneth Cole NY shoes go for significantly more than that these day, I'd think.

They are around the same cost I believe. I have a pair of KC NY black shoes from around 5 years ago that were my first dressier shoes out of college. I don't wear them that much now since I have a lot more shoes after joining these forums, but they held up fine and were actually a big improvement over my previous Sketchers shoes by a wide margin. The leather while corrected grain was at least soft and not plastic like the Sketchers and the soles were leather and stitched with a calf lining. I used to go through Sketchers once every 6 months because the soles would fall apart or wear out quickly.

Would I buy KC shoes again, I'd say no because I can get much higher quality shoes for the same price or a bit more on ebay and other discounters.

tbone226

Reaction score
I didn't even know what KC shoes was when i was 13. So just calm down with your bashing posts. Just shows how immature you are everytime you say someone is 13. I don't even want to think how old you may be.

To the other respondents,

I did look on ebay but the brands you are talking about are still in the 250-300 range. Yes to the person who said i bought a J Crew Blazer for 350. Look, I don't really mind spending a lot on tops and bottoms like blazers and V-neck argyle sweaters but I don't like spending 300 plus on shoes for some reason. It's like I don't mind the higher prices on that and jeans but when it comes down to shoes, i just want to spend an average amount.

I didn't look at the title b/c i posted on the thread b/c i didnt reread it.

FYI - You might want to start looking for better deals. $350 for the J Crew blazer is not a good deal. I have been able to get Purple Label and Black Label blazers/jackets for the same price. If you look around, you can find much better items for the same amount of money your currently spending.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP sounds like he's just trying to get validation for his purchases. It's like talking to a child and trying to share some knowledge and he nods "okay," turns around does the opposite, then asks, "is that okay?"

We already said, it's not okay for us and gave you advice. Take it if you want it, and quit trying to justify your choices by saying you're only 21 and you only want to be average. We strive for something a bit higher than that, my friend.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did look on ebay but the brands you are talking about are still in the 250-300 range.
Take another look. Reread what people told you.

If kenneth cole shoes are average, then its fine with me. I am sure Banana Republic and J Crew clothing is considered average to you guys right?
No way are Kenneth Cole shoes average, at least not the ones we commonly see. I'm sure BR and J Crew offer better value but they aren't usually average for SHOES, either, with some exceptions from J Crew for more casual ones.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Take another look. Reread what people told you.

No way are Kenneth Cole shoes average, at least not the ones we commonly see. I'm sure BR and J Crew offer better value but they aren't usually average for SHOES, either, with some exceptions from J Crew for more casual ones.

precisely, they are worse than average, and even worse value imho. About 7 years ago I bought nothing but KCs, they were decent, not great, and at $100-120 it was OK. But then over the years, their quality has significantly deteriorated, until one point when I had to discard the shoes after just one wear. Incidentally, that is how I stumbled upon SF, in search for shoes that I could be happy wearing, and presented better value . . .

Just my opinion though, to each his own . . .

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
Could you please change to verb in your title to it's plural form?

Lordy. You made my day.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
Lordy. You made my day.

You is not kidding.
blush.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's another consideration, if you're just a kid who likes going to frat parties, clubs and bars, partying and drinking with your friends, it probably is more than appropriate that the KCs you are wearing get trashed.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phatty we are still waiting for the link. Where's the link to the shoes you bought?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads