• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is kenneth Cole shoes really that bad?

phatty123

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
Messages
233
Reaction score
0
I know theres a lot of people here who dislike Kenneth Cole shoes because i heard it is cheap and bad quality. Well i have a KC black peacoat from Macys and it is pretty decent. I bought a kenneth cole brown oxford play it cool oxford shoe online that i will be receving tomrorwo and may return it back if i don't like it. I got it on sale for 80 dollars when the retail price was about 180.

I don't have a lot of money so I am not one of those guys who pays 300 dollars for a shoe. I will see how the shoe is tomrorwo when i receive it but why do you people hate kenneth cole so much? Should i even be embarrased to wear it b/c i seem to feel taht way b/c you guys here say i rather wear xxx than wear KC shoes. I'm only 21 and i am pretty certain most of you guys here who give advice here are at lleast 25 here and most of you guys are around 30 or so.

Should i feel bad to wear Kenneth Cole brown shoes even though i'm 21? I always thought kenneth cole was an okay brand b/c it gets advertisements but i heard about the quality etc from you guys. Because i would never laugh at any guy wearing kenneth cole shoes b/c at least it has a name. I don't really care if that long b/c if i start making a good amount of money, then i would get those AE shoes you guys rave about.

So should i really feel ashamed to wear it? If i never came to this forum and just wore Kenneth Cole shoes, i would feel pretty decent. But i doubt most men/women have that much fashion sense as you guys. Do normal people look at your shoes outside in the street and say look he's wearing Kenneth Coles, hes definitely not stylish? Because i feel like the only people that might think this way are those VERY into fashion.

Thanks.
 

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
5,740
Reaction score
19
Originally Posted by phatty123
Should i feel bad to wear Kenneth Cole brown shoes even though i'm 21?

No. At 21 you should be much more concerned with your lousy noun-verb agreement and your spelling.

Is kenneth Cole shoes . . . [sic]
tomrorwo [sic]
Oh, and yes, Kenneth Cole shoes are ghastly.
 

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
9,464
Reaction score
25
The problem is that a $300 shoe is an investment. If you buy from Alden and take care of the shoe, it will last you many years. They will resole them when you wear the soles out. KCs will last you a couple of years, if that. In the long run, it's going to cost you more money. For those who say that Aldens aren't stylish for a 21 year old, the Plaza last is more square and less "clunky" than some of the round lasts. It's worth checking out. I can't answer whether people will care or think you more or less stylish. At the end of the day you should wear what you think is most stylish for you. That means not caring what we think about you, either. If you love the way they look, go for it - you don't need our approval! I, personally, think that a sleeker shoe than KC makes looks better on everyone, regardless of age. What you think is what matters.
 

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Messages
14,912
Reaction score
101
Ok Horseshack, this is your second to last thread on here. Make the next one a good one.
 

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
1,965
Reaction score
10
No, you should express yourself and not let others' opinions dictate your destiny.

Be a man.
 

phatty123

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
Messages
233
Reaction score
0
Well i always thought KC shoes were decent. I never saw them as cheap. Since you said KC shoes last a few years, i think thats good enough assuming few you meant 3-5. I don't really take care of my shoes much... like polishing it etc. How many years would those AE shoes last on average assuming i don't take good care of it versus taking good care of it?

I know what you mean by it will cost me more in the future if I buy kc shoes but I only care about the present and the few years ahead. I dont know why but I feel like by the age of 40 I wouldn't really care about how i dress as long as its okay.

Am i thinking wrong? It's like I wouldn't care how i look or dress to people when I am 60 because at that time , it doesn't matter much anymore.
 

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
1,965
Reaction score
10
Seriously speaking, they really are cheap, and sometimes you just don't buy shoes from a non-shoemaker.

Their leather is not good, their styling can be found with more elegance elsewhere, and you can get higher quality or better styling for a lower price, without going above $200.

I wouldn't even say 3-5 years unless it's used infrequently, or it stays in style for that long. Getting a scuff on a shoe of this quality is a lot more visible than on shoes with better leather, where a good polish makes it disappear.

If you post a photo of something you like, everyone here will point you to something cheaper or in the same style but done better, or both.
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
21,161
Reaction score
1,753
Originally Posted by phatty123
Well i always thought KC shoes were decent. I never saw them as cheap. Since you said KC shoes last a few years, i think thats good enough assuming few you meant 3-5. I don't really take care of my shoes much... like polishing it etc. How many years would those AE shoes last on average assuming i don't take good care of it versus taking good care of it?

I know what you mean by it will cost me more in the future if I buy kc shoes but I only care about the present and the few years ahead. I dont know why but I feel like by the age of 40 I wouldn't really care about how i dress as long as its okay.

Am i thinking wrong? It's like I wouldn't care how i look or dress to people when I am 60 because at that time , it doesn't matter much anymore.


Boy, if you were any more wrong....
 

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
7,219
Reaction score
35
You say you dont have a lot of money for shoes? Didn't you buy a $300 J crew blazer on impulse in your other thread?

let's say for the purpose of discussion that "they aren't that bad" (even though they are).

Even if KCs aren't that bad, that doesn't mean people here are going to compliment you on it. These folks here don't waste their time talking about stuff that's not that bad. They would rather spend their time and money on stuff that is either the best (cost no limit) or a ridiculously good value. Or at the very least, cheap but interesting.

crappy fashion shoes you get at the mall are none of the above. They aren't the best on any dimension of evaluation, they aren't good value, and they are not even interesting from a stylistic point of view. So what is there to talk about with KCs? Nothing.

And to put the nail in the coffin, they ARE that bad. They make some of the worst quality dress shoes around. Sneaker-like construction, sneaker-like quality, at sneaker-like prices. Also, Kenneth Cole has a special place on our shit list due to the fact that they are in many ways responsible for the ugliest trend in the history of dress shoes - square toes.
 

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
5,740
Reaction score
19
Originally Posted by phatty123
I dont know why but I feel like by the age of 40 I wouldn't really care about how i dress as long as its okay.

The reason why is that you haven't got a fucking clue. By the time you're 40, you're going to care a lot more and so are the women you'll be likely to meet. At the rate you're going, they're going to give you a once-over and pass you by.

Originally Posted by phatty123
Am i thinking wrong? It's like I wouldn't care how i look or dress to people when I am 60 because at that time , it doesn't matter much anymore.

Are you thinking wrong? It sounds like you ain't never been right!

Of course, if anybody has to be the sacrificial lamb and wear KC duckbills, it might as well be you.
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
21,161
Reaction score
1,753
Looking at that last post of his, it really rubs me the wrong way. I am years away from being 40, but I am already insulted by the douchebag's comment. Jeesh. What a dumbass.
 

oldseed

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Messages
211
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by phatty123
So should i really feel ashamed to wear it?

just about everyone in america has KC shoes. whether u feel ashamed bout that or not is up to u.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

  • PJs & Slippers

  • Cozy loungewear

  • Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

  • Suit or sport coat and dress trousers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
452,536
Messages
9,800,423
Members
204,496
Latest member
daglashcash
Top