Is John Frusciante the best guitarist of his generation?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by benecios, Nov 18, 2006.

1. benecios

benecios Senior member

I have been listening to the Chili Peppers for the last few months and I think John Frusciante's guitar playing is incredible.I personally cannot think of anyone who can touch him.
    I hasten to add I can't play a note myself and know nothing about what goes into a great guitar riff,solo etc...So is he amazing or do I know nothing?

2. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

wow, this one is really tough since the RHCP have been around for so long. if you're talking pure skill, i'd have to say 'no'. there are so many metal guitarists (eg, Yngwie Malmsteen, Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, etc) that would probably run circles around Frusciante from a technical standpoint.

BUT, you could also argue that Frusciante has been such an integral part to the RHCP's unique sound (see U2's Edge) and in that respect he certainly has been an innovator.

either way, say what you will about their antics, RHCP are a great band.

-Jeff

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

As already mentioned, I can name half a dozen guitarists that are probably more technically proficient than Frusciante, but he definitely has a unique sound, and that counts for a lot in today's music world.

That being said, I strongly dislike the "new" RHCP. Everything I've heard from them in the past 10 years or so is a relatively disposable pop song thematically recycled and generic. I miss the Blood-Sugar-Sex-Magick era where they were an interesting proto-funk band. I just can't get down with anything from Californication or the new album.

4. Oldboy

Oldboy Senior member

Although Frusciante is one of my favorites, I think Tom Morello is better.

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I dislike Frusciante's bland style... in fact I have never liked anything from RHCP save one or two songs.

In this place, I might consider Johnny Greenwood... but I don't really involve myself with enough guitar-driven music these days anyway, because frankly I'm a bit sick of that style.

6. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I dislike Frusciante's bland style... in fact I have never liked anything from RHCP save one or two songs.

In this place, I might consider Johnny Greenwood... but I don't really involve myself with enough guitar-driven music these days anyway, because frankly I'm a bit sick of that style.

Congratuations, Brian. You just won yourself a beer on me. Jonny Greenwood IS the best guitarist of his generation, hands down. Frusciante's good with riffs but as far as looking at things from a technical aspect people like Morello have done a lot more. And yes, I do play.

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Although Frusciante is one of my favorites, I think Tom Morello is better.

+1 on that

8. MOCAZEN

MOCAZEN Well-Known Member

As already mentioned, I can name half a dozen guitarists that are probably more technically proficient than Frusciante, but he definitely has a unique sound, and that counts for a lot in today's music world.

That being said, I strongly dislike the "new" RHCP. Everything I've heard from them in the past 10 years or so is a relatively disposable pop song thematically recycled and generic. I miss the Blood-Sugar-Sex-Magick era where they were an interesting proto-funk band. I just can't get down with anything from Californication or the new album.

so true and +2 on Tom Morello[​IMG]

9. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

tom morello is a one trick pony, take away the whammy pedal and he's crap.

what about slash?

10. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

what about slash?

crap?! don't think so.

11. Alter

Alter Senior member

12. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

what about slash?

Yeah, and that guy Miles Davis would be total crap without his harmon mute...

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Slash is the shit, but taken into consideration the current generation, ripping sweet solos and driving solid riffs is somewhat of a novelty. We're a bit past that stage, IMO, people are recognizing deeper elements to guitar-playing than technical skill, which is why I think Johnny Greenwood takes the cake.

I was a huge fan of RATM in their self-titled days, but I do agree that Morello is a bit of a one-trick pony. Even without the whammy, his riffs don't really change much song to song, even when he switches around to different bands. There's having a particular style, then there's forcing your style into every song you're in, regardless of whether it's meant to fit or not.

I always have high respects for him though. He got me into guitar playing, and yea, his RATM shit is amazing.

Whodini, thanks for the back up! JG created his own style.. no one else has matched his skill, even those who try so hard to copy (Coldplay, etc.)

14. Homme

Homme Senior member

Thoughts on Jack White anyone ?

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Thoughts on Jack White anyone ?

my thought = UGH