• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Jimmy Wales Good?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time I turn to Wiki for some info, the guy is asking for money? WTF? Is he like the Universe's most recognized crack addict?
lol8[1].gif

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even his own wiki profile makes him out to be a douche.

Sherlock

Reaction score
Why does the dude want his mug shown on every wiki page? Does he think he's good looking or something?`Any gay guys here, what do you think?

Icarus

Reaction score
I think wikipedia is a good contribution to society, but the fact is "jimbo" wales did not really invent it. He is a "co-founder", in the same way you can say dustin moskovitz founded facebook.

He has tried to start a "real" company, but time and time again has failed. His "google killer" search engine failed, and his other startups never took off.

It also might infuriate you to know that he tried to have a $1300 dinner paid for by the non-profit wikipedia foundation. They eventually refused to pay for it, but prior to that, he made the foundation pay for all of his personal expenses.

That's the reason why he's no longer president/ceo of Wikipedia, he was asked to leave. The current president is a woman who receives over $500,000 annually to run the "non-profit", and had relations with "jimbo" before she got the job. So basically, there are some pretty scummy people there.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Even his own wiki profile makes him out to be a douche.

Oh, he is. The thread debating if he should be stripped of admin powers in the wake of the Fox news attack (claiming there was all sorts of evil Appreciation on wikipedia's servers- Wales unilaterally deleted all sorts of **** in response to the baseless claim, including famous works of art) was one of the most entertaining reads I've had in a while.

He lost a fair number of admin powers over that, and his responses in that thread pretty much revealed just how much of a douche he was.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Oh, he is. The thread debating if he should be stripped of admin powers in the wake of the Fox news attack (claiming there was all sorts of evil Appreciation on wikipedia's servers- Wales unilaterally deleted all sorts of **** in response to the baseless claim, including famous works of art) was one of the most entertaining reads I've had in a while.

He lost a fair number of admin powers over that, and his responses in that thread pretty much revealed just how much of a douche he was.

If he lost his admin powers, why is he allowed to have his mug shot, Dear Leader style, on the most visited info page in the universe? This guy is evil no doubt. I feel bad for whoever spent all that time writing the article for quantum electrodynamics.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
If he lost his admin powers, why is he allowed to have his mug shot, Dear Leader style, on the most visited info page in the universe? This guy is evil no doubt. I feel bad for whoever spent all that time writing the article for quantum electrodynamics.

They did a split test and discovered that having his creepy face and "a personal appeal" got like 5 times more donations than every other ad they had, not making this up
laugh.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarus
I think wikipedia is a good contribution to society, but the fact is "jimbo" wales did not really invent it. He is a "co-founder", in the same way you can say dustin moskovitz founded facebook.

He has tried to start a "real" company, but time and time again has failed. His "google killer" search engine failed, and his other startups never took off.

It also might infuriate you to know that he tried to have a $1300 dinner paid for by the non-profit wikipedia foundation. They eventually refused to pay for it, but prior to that, he made the foundation pay for all of his personal expenses.

That's the reason why he's no longer president/ceo of Wikipedia, he was asked to leave. The current president is a woman who receives over $500,000 annually to run the "non-profit", and had relations with "jimbo" before she got the job. So basically, there are some pretty scummy people there.

This. Jimbo is a slimeball and a relentlessly corrupt, self-serving, insufferable douche. Met him in person once, and I've never seen someone so capable of yammering about himself and how great he is for such extended lengths of time. And this is coming from me, mind you.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's been appealing to me far too often lately.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
This. Jimbo is a slimeball and a relentlessly corrupt, self-serving, insufferable douche. Met him in person once, and I've never seen someone so capable of yammering about himself and how great he is for such extended lengths of time. And this is coming from me, mind you.

I met him once as well and had a similar impression. The most interesting part was that he seemed very acclimatized to the questions that he was being asked. He sort of brushed off many of them as inconsequential...and this was with a smaller group at a table over dinner after the main presentation and audience questions.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now he's replaced by some Kartika chick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads