Is J Crew acceptable??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by x26, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Carbon

Carbon Well-Known Member

What is J. Crew's market compared to BR, Club Monaco, etc? Preppy?

2. robin

robin Senior member

What is J. Crew's market compared to BR, Club Monaco, etc? Preppy?
    Not even preppy. More like entry-level trad.

3. poloist12

poloist12 Member

Though I understand the question, what kind of question is this?

Even some thing that you would purchase of the rack at Wal-Mart is "acceptable."
    The question looks almost as though some one is asking if they are acceptable. Or would be acceptible if they bought from this retailer.

Though I'm a big fan of "lables." Clothing doesn't make the man. Don't buy in to the hype. If you like it get it. My sister and sister-in-law, both with law degrees will only purchase clothing from Wal-Mart or Target, and it is perfectly acceptable in their offices.

However, I was sorely disappointed in a couple of ribbon; no not grosgrain, belts I purchased. But in all, I like Jcrew's style.

4. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I find the quality of J. Crew has really gone down since the early to mid-90s when I used to buy from them regularly. Even with the refocusing on quality that the company underwent a few years ago, their offerings are still below in quality compared to 15 years ago.

5. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I wouldn't buy a tailored jacket there, but I really like J Crew for casual shirts and the new slimmer cut chinos. I bought the blue and white gingham longsleeve, a tan and blue patterned shirt, and the vintage/ beat up blue oxxford cotton shirt and REALLY like them, especially with jeans and a sportcoat (and also with khakis or cordoroy trousers).

shirts are a slimmer cut, and the 'favorite wash' treatment means i can wear them with no ironing, or simply touch up the collar if i wear them to work.

This is pretty much how I feel as well.

I like the slim cut 'essential' (i.e. not broken-in) chinos.

I'll pick up the driving mocs at a very good sale price and still use some of the shirts I bought in college for casual wear.

I wouldn't tough the sweaters and I'm not really a sweater snob. My wife has a couple of the tailored items but those hold zero interest for me.

6. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Senior member

I really only buy their merino wool sweaters which I find hold well and can be had for about $30 at sale time.

7. SantaCruzGuy

SantaCruzGuy Well-Known Member

J. Crew is mid end.
    The other posters are correct in that you should never pay full retail. Everything they sell eventually goes on sale.

The other thing that I find I really like about J. Crew is that they do beautiful layouts in their catalogs, & have cool pics of their clothes online. I turn to J. Crew many times for inspiration actually. I suspect many other people probably do the same thing.

They're definitely a big notch up from The Gap, & some of the other mass marketers out there you'll find in "mall land".

8. cool_hand

cool_hand Senior member

Just purchased this jacket from J. Crew (plus a shirt). [​IMG] New to J. Crew. Had to import to the UK via a friend in NYC so was taking a risk. Overall I was happy with the jacket, the outer fabric is of a good standard, the jacket's cotton lining is nice. The fit was OK, although a little bit roomy in the chest for a Large IMO. I wouldn't describe it as a tailored cut. But, the sleeve lining was a bit of a joke, was made from polyester!. Nasty. They should at least used viscose or cotton. Polyester is for Primark. For a $600 jacket I felt this was cutting a corner to far. Real shame. Luckily I purchased at 65% discount, but still a disappointment.

9. Beta

Beta Senior member

Its a staple for me for shorts and polos, summery stuff.

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

Absolutely not! Why wouldn't you just have a bespoke jacket made?!!

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Absolutely not! Why wouldn't you just have a bespoke jacket made?!!
    +100

12. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

My only major complaint is that everything from J. Crew has some indescribable J. Crew glaze all over it--like the stuff at Banana Republic or Benetton. In the case of J. Crew, I think it has to do with the slightly washed out, muted colors. When I say 'slightly', I mean barely perceptible at times, but the effect is very tangible when you put together multiple pieces. For better or worse, a J. Crew outfit is immediately identifable as a J. Crew outfit.

13. OPTiK

OPTiK Well-Known Member

J. Crew polos are actually really nice. I just bought 6 since they were the only ones that fit me correctly since I have a more athletic build (compared to lacoste, polo, etc). Hopefully they'll hold up over time.

14. insp86

insp86 Senior member

As expected, very perceptive. I totally agree.

My only major complaint is that everything from J. Crew has some indescribable J. Crew glaze all over it--like the stuff at Banana Republic or Benetton. In the case of J. Crew, I think it has to do with the slightly washed out, muted colors. When I say 'slightly', I mean barely perceptible at times, but the effect is very tangible when you put together multiple pieces. For better or worse, a J. Crew outfit is immediately identifable as a J. Crew outfit.

15. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

The price is right...