• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is it wrong to browse at stores you'll never buy anything from?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
8,508
Reaction score
1,243
So I ask you, is it wrong to browse at a shop when you really know you're not going to buy anything? and what if someone offers to help you and you let them?


I spend a lot of time "browsing". After all, I'm interested in clothing. But honestly 99% of the time I'm walking around a store looking at or trying on things that there's no way I'd likely buy. I'm no big timer, so usually its a matter of cash; I don't have it and what I'm looking at is way more then I'd spend even if I did. Maybe I'm scoping something out to come back to in the hopes it'll be on sale. Maybe I just want to feel like a big timer becuase I get the special treatment. Is that wrong? and what if a SA goes out of their way to try and help me and I let them show me things, spend time chatting with them, try on a suit and talk about what I like/not, etc..

like case in point, I walk into a local high end retail shop and in the Tom Ford boutique casually inquire if they have my size in stock, since "I'm curious to see the fit". I mean, I am. But it's extremely unlikely I'd ever buy it from them there at full price, maybe I'd never even buy a Ford suit ever, anywhere, so it's sort of pointless. I'm just doing it to build a knowledge base out of interest.


You ever do the same thing?
 

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
3
Noor meetup this weekend? Wanna try out some free sample frags...
 

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2007
Messages
1,759
Reaction score
20
I think it's fine. Companies thrive on people striving to own their clothing. I would feel bad taking a SA's time if they could be helping someone else though.
 

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
8,508
Reaction score
1,243
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Noor meetup this weekend? Wanna try out some free sample frags...

lol, that's just mean
.

But you're probably right. I try to compensate them in other ways (ie the meetup) for taking up time and the occasional sample. And another reason why I did that box...
 

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
1,468
Reaction score
15
That's Holt Renfrew and just about every other boutique for me. But I don't ask to try things on unless I buy. I was too chicken to go to any shop on Savile Row or Jermyn Street unless they had an off the peg selection. I didn't think I could pretend I have enough for bespoke and my Canadian sensibility didn't want to waste their time.
 

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
12,025
Reaction score
855
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
So I ask you, is it wrong to browse at a shop when you really know you're not going to buy anything? and what if someone offers to help you and you let them?


I spend a lot of time "browsing". After all, I'm interested in clothing. But honestly 99% of the time I'm walking around a store looking at or trying on things that there's no way I'd likely buy. I'm no big timer, so usually its a matter of cash; I don't have it and what I'm looking at is way more then I'd spend even if I did. Maybe I'm scoping something out to come back to in the hopes it'll be on sale. Maybe I just want to feel like a big timer becuase I get the special treatment. Is that wrong? and what if a SA goes out of their way to try and help me and I let them show me things, spend time chatting with them, try on a suit and talk about what I like/not, etc..

like case in point, I walk into a local high end retail shop and in the Tom Ford boutique casually inquire if they have my size in stock, since "I'm curious to see the fit". I mean, I am. But it's extremely unlikely I'd ever buy it from them there at full price, maybe I'd never even buy a Ford suit ever, anywhere, so it's sort of pointless. I'm just doing it to build a knowledge base out of interest.


You ever do the same thing?


It's not wrong but I don't like to. When I do browse I make it a point not to ask for too much assistance from the sales associates as I don't want to waste their time.
 

blackboard_knowledge

Senior Member
Joined
May 13, 2010
Messages
254
Reaction score
19
It is to both parties' benefit. You get to window shop and perhaps make mental note of things that you may be interested in buying on your terms, and the store wins because they appear more busy. There are several studies that show that people will both shop longer and spend more if there are more people around doing the same (have you ever been inside a Uniqlo? I love $2 socks, but there has to be a very deep-rooted psychological reason why I would be willing to weather a forty-five minute line to purchase said socks).
 

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
10,065
Reaction score
1,163
I don't know if this is true, but an Italian told me that in smaller cities and towns you're not really supposed to go in shops if you're not buying something. A nice representative display in the window tells you what's available. Maybe go in w/ a question, but never just to 'browse'.
 

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
59,951
Reaction score
22,573
If you are wasting an inordinate amount of an SA's time, yes. If it's just a few minutes, no big deal.
 

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
2,652
Reaction score
36
Or trying on for size in store then buying same cheaper
on line... naughty naughty
 

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
20,247
Reaction score
5,353
Good retail stores understand that there is something very important about creating goodwill regardless of purchases. Go ahead.
 

Listi

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2008
Messages
2,914
Reaction score
58
I would try on things I wasn't planning on buying, but I'm not going to get an SA to fetch a bunch of sizes for me if there is no chance of me making a purchase. I don't mind getting help for 1-2 things if I'm just browsing... but I wouldn't feel right spending 15-20 minutes with an SA if I wasn't even interested.
 

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
653
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Good retail stores understand that there is something very important about creating goodwill regardless of purchases. Go ahead.
This. This is why Borders (or Indigo for the Canadians) is all about letting you browse and read their books and magazines in the store with no pressure to buy. After all, the more time you spend in the store, the more likely it is something will catch your eye and have you pulling out your wallet.
 

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2009
Messages
1,708
Reaction score
47
Originally Posted by Britalian
Or trying on for size in store then buying same cheaper
on line... naughty naughty


I have done this before, but felt pretty awkward in the process, almost as if the SA knew what I was doing.

-LR
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,040
Messages
9,190,360
Members
193,053
Latest member
reknafugni

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top